Apple updates MacBook Pro line with next-gen CPU, GPU & Thunderbolt I/O

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

It just feels right having an Nvidia GPU (my nickname notwithstanding) inside that I know can handle the tasks thrown at it in the next few years).

That's how I feel when I see a game coming up with the NVidia message 'The Way It's Meant to be Played'. You just know you're not going to get graphics glitches or missing effects.

I wonder if Apple is going to update their FCS spec page:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

"ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)"

It'll be interesting to see how they word it.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008

The Intel BundleGate RubbishGPU I knew, but I suspected as much about the 6490.

If they'd used the 6490 in the 13", it would've been fine too.
  • Reply 102 of 106
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

That's how I feel when I see a game coming up with the NVidia message 'The Way It's Meant to be Played'. You just know you're not going to get graphics glitches or missing effects.

You got to give it to Nvidia, despite a lot of their troubles and challenges, they got the game developer relationship down solid. AMD would have done a lot better if not for bad rep for constant driver issues... which I personally have experienced with my ATI 4830 512MB. Sure, it's not a level playing field when games favour one card or another, but Nvidia did put in the effort there and it paid off for Nvidia-optimised games (and lets face it ATI came out alright for the most part). I was hella pissed when Batman Arkham Asylum only supported antialiasing on Nvidia but after a few updates it's all good. Picked it up recently on Steam for $7.50. Nice and smooth on my ATI with nice 4x antialiasing. Long game though! Just 60% through it and most games would have finished by now. That damn Joker...!

Quote:

I wonder if Apple is going to update their FCS spec page:

http://www.apple.com/finalcutstudio/specs/

"ATI or NVIDIA graphics processor (integrated Intel graphics processors not supported)"

It'll be interesting to see how they word it.

Interesting, indeed.

Quote:

If they'd used the 6490 in the 13", it would've been fine too.

Anything discrete better than the 320M with 256MB would have been perfectly acceptable, and heck, how much would it have really cost? I guess they didn't want to mess with the internals too much, but they did fiddle with it for all that Thunderbolt stuff! I guess battery life would have taken a hit, but, this is Apple, they figure this stuff out. Again, at the end of the day, ATI low-end discrete GPUs are dirt, dirt cheap.

I bet you Valve must be fuming mad. All that effort into Mac gaming and Apple shafts them like this. The MacBook Pro 13" *is* Apple's best selling Mac, AFAIK. And it can't play anything but casual games for the most part.
  • Reply 103 of 106
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Quote:

Long game though! Just 60% through it and most games would have finished by now. That damn Joker...!

That's what I thought when I hit 60% too. Unfortunately, they count the collectibles into the percentage so it finishes quite quickly after you reach this point.

When you finish, check out Mafia 2 if you haven't already. I think you'd enjoy it. There's a free demo on Steam. The visuals are pretty amazing.

Quote:

I bet you Valve must be fuming mad. All that effort into Mac gaming and Apple shafts them like this. The MacBook Pro 13" *is* Apple's best selling Mac, AFAIK. And it can't play anything but casual games for the most part.

I know, I thought with the 320M, that would be the end of the embarrassment but no, one more generation at least people have to suffer. There's a MW1 test on the 13" here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjBQgi4_J3c

Painful. With Valve coming out with Portal 2 soon and eventually one of the most anticipated games HL2:Ep3 with simultaneous Win/Mac releases, it's just the wrong decision.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJNqAJvQW8I

So much work wasted, there's no way the HD3000 will render that.
  • Reply 104 of 106
    I was searching about this as well. Would like see more thoughts about this issue from you guys.
  • Reply 105 of 106
    I was searching about this as well. Would like see more thoughts about this issue from you guys.
  • Reply 106 of 106