Sources detail new features in Apple's first beta of Mac OS X 10.7 Lion

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

I think the biggest news that has been overlooked is that Lion Server is built into OS X and it's free for everyone to use.

That is interesting, however as others pointed out in older threads related to the demise of xserve, there wasn't much left in OS X Server that was that special since most of the useful server characteristics can be implemented in any UNIX based desktop OS variant.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Maybe it's here and I didn't understand it, but some better integration with TimeMachine would be welcome, particularly with Mr. iTunes. My iTunes library changes a lot, and I'd really like an incremental backup that I can simply switch to if the original drive dies. TM only copies files, and getting back to start after a HD failure looks really painful.

And for reasons I still don't understand, I can't seem to do backups to disk out of iTunes anymore. It syas 4 DVDs will be needed, then simply stops after one. I long ago assumed this is a bug requiring a iTunes update.

Automatic longterm incremental backup changes for all Cocoa apps would be great, but we do need to get iTunes to Cocoa first.

I don't know about the DVD issue as I never so disc backups, but I am sure you can work it out manually with Finder.

Not sure about DVD backup bug, but
  • Reply 23 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

After years of using plug ins to make Apple Mail Wide screen. Finally they will offer mail the way I've always wanted it.

If Mail doesn't have calendar and addressbook full access then it's not the app I want.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Still doesn't solve the problem of using Final Cut Pro or Photoshop on tablet.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

It's just one step ahead in the convergence of iOS and Mac OS. Imagining Mac OS running on a tablet is easier than ever.

• Reply 25 of 86
  • Reply 26 of 86
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm not sure how you want to see this ability in the user interface but Mail does have direct access to calendar and the address book. There is an address book icon at the top of any message window. There is a To Do button that creates new calendar events.

You can control click any name, date, or phone number and pull up a dialog window for address book and calendar.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

If Mail doesn't have calendar and addressbook full access then it's not the app I want.

• Reply 27 of 86
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post

Application Persistence sounds like a nightmare not a feature! What happens when a piece of bad code goes crazy and you have no quit option and a reboot just opens it back up for you?

I imagine that Lion will still support the "Force Quit" capability. That's what I rely on now when I need to blow away a rogue application. It would make sense to implement this in such a way that "Force Quit" gives you a clean slate with respect to the application process.

Thompson
  • Reply 28 of 86
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Great Features! Applications Persistence sounds fantastic. It will take exactly one day to wonder why it was never thus before. I have always preferred the Windows way of quitting apps and this is basically it, only better.

Not so sure about apps preserving state. Often I find it annoying when I open Safari and several windows / tabs load. If I quit with many tabs going it's usually because I am done. I don't want them back again. It just means having to close windows before quitting. Which in terms of apps generally makes the experience more like Windows - the red button top left will see a usage spike ;-)
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

You mean move? mv file1 <path-to-File>file1 || file1a

Do you really believe that the poster was asking for a Unix command line solution? Geek much?

Thompson
  • Reply 30 of 86
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Quote:

It's just one step ahead in the convergence of iOS and Mac OS. Imagining Mac OS running on a tablet is easier than ever.

It's too early to know if they'll converge just yet. I think at this stage what we're seeing is simply things that have turned out popular being migrated from one to the other. Cross-polination of ideas rather than a deliberate convergence strategy.
  • Reply 31 of 86
    Quote:

It seems to me that your imagination is running in reverse. My hunch is that Apple is aiming for a future where we no longer need to worry ourselves with trivial things like where files and apps are actually stored on disk and/or which applications are running or documents are saved.

In other words, you should be imagining the Finder and many other features of Mac OS "melting away" on the computer, so that it becomes more like the iPhone or iPad, rather than imagining the iPhone or iPad becoming more like Mac OS X. I don't see anything like the Finder or system wide "menu bars" coming to tablets.

Thompson
  • Reply 32 of 86
    It sounds like a lot of great things will be in Lion. Too bad Microsoft Office won't Work with any of them.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Did anyone test the connection to Exchange 2010? I'm interested to know if there is an out-of-office option and delegation support.
  • Reply 34 of 86
    At first I couldn't understand why Apple would adopt WebKit plugins and then dump them a year later. But I guess this means we can use the same extensions as Firefox folks, and that's definitely welcome given the number of them available.
  • Reply 35 of 86
    Will Mail5 FINALLY support the system proxy?? Please? Pretty Please? I'm getting tired of being able to do everything EXCEPT Mail on my Mac at work behind the firewall.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by idji73 View Post

Did anyone test the connection to Exchange 2010? I'm interested to know if there is an out-of-office option and delegation support.

• Reply 36 of 86
    Has anyone come across detailed changes to FileVault? I work in clinical research using health data and HIPPA/HITECH has some tough requirements about encryption. I need better integration with time machine!
  • Reply 37 of 86
    I guess Adobe needs to get their sh*t together because those are some major changes.
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Only one question about Lion: is it snappier? ?
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tullius View Post

Only one question about Lion: is it snappier? ?

You question the snappier?? You don't question the snappier?!
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mbarriault View Post

Quit is still there (as is Force Quit, aka Unix kill) it just won't be necessary.

You're going to have to explain that one. Unless you have a ton of memory or like paging programs in and out of memory. Quitting is often the best way to free up memory from the larger applications, or apps like iphoto or firefox which seem to consume more and more memory the longer they're running.

And while auto-save, restore and what seems to be described as auto quit are nice - it doesn't help when you have some apps that take a long time to re-load after being quit...