Apple discontinues sale of MobileMe retail boxes as overhaul looms

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    What about the website services:

I curently host my sailing class newsletter/ event/ racing schedules at mobile me

hmmm

Quote:
    Originally Posted by FormerARSgm View Post

Apple is not going to suddenly give up $99 in reoccurring annual revenue by making Mobile Me free.

More likely, Mobile Me will have two service levels: (as an example)

- 3 email addresses, 10GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and limited iTunes/Photo lockbox = FREE

- 6 email addresses, 50GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and massive iTunes/Photo lockbox = $99

Discuss....

• Reply 22 of 62
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edorf View Post

Yes please, something like that.

Guess most of us here are adults with a creditcard. But what about our children with an iphone, ipad and Macbook. Why lock them out of this service?

Locked out? They'd get the service with the same means that they acquired an iPhone, iPad and Macbook I guess.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    eehdeehd Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I renewed my family plan a week ago... \

But I don't expect the service to become entirely free. I expect an upgrade with improved features as well as a tiered service. Some free, others not. I also imagine the option of including iWork.com to be part of the package. Well... I hope it will but it probably won't

I upgraded to the family pack in January but the accounts I combined had expiration dates four months apart, so not only did I have to pay for the family pack, I also had to pay an upgrade fee so that both can have the same expiration date.
  • Reply 24 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I renewed my family plan a week ago... \

But I don't expect the service to become entirely free. I expect an upgrade with improved features as well as a tiered service. Some free, others not. I also imagine the option of including iWork.com to be part of the package. Well... I hope it will but it probably won't

The basic service will be FREE and will primarily be contact syncing and "Find my iDevice"

If you want email and photo syncing, you are probably going to be paying.

I think they are going to move to a more a-la-carté model.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Intellihence View Post

FREE! Don't make me laugh, this is an Apple ploy. I remember the day I bought OS 9, it included iTools, iTools was like mac.com or mobileme. What happened to it? Apple gave then took away

iTools. So much for Apple, after all, it is Apples way.

This is true, they did give a free service (iTools), and then start charging for it (.Mac/MobileMe)...but think of it this way...

The whole time, Apple has been feverishly trying to figure out what to do. They know there is a formula to make this online service successful, but so far they haven't figured it out. I think they will keep trying til they get it right. Since both .Mac and MobileMe have been limited in their userbase and success as paid services, I think Apple finally realizes that the formula is to make it free to make the ecosystem complete and tie it all together. Afterall, with Google giving similar things away for free, I think they have to give in a bit to remain competitive. I think a tiered service would be fine, but it seems like there has to be a basic service that is free for all Mac users to get them hooked. Then for power users, they can upgrade as they will already know the value in the services.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    My family pack expires next month, but I bought a renewal a couple of months back when I saw a good price. Might as well just renew it now regardless.
  • Reply 27 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

i just renewed in december. lol.

Renewed in January with a Family Pack account. Grr.
  • Reply 28 of 62
    sambansamban Posts: 171member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

i just renewed in december. lol.

I renewed in september, fortunately I didn't go for the family pack
  • Reply 29 of 62
    Quote:

Apple is not going to suddenly give up $99 in reoccurring annual revenue by making Mobile Me free.

- 3 email addresses, 10GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and limited iTunes/Photo lockbox = FREE

- 6 email addresses, 50GB storage, find my iPhone, syncing, and massive iTunes/Photo lockbox = $99

Discuss....

Given that it will never really work to have a "backup for everything" in the cloud (for the majority of users using current network access speeds), I don't think the size of the storage space is even relevant. For backing up a few documents and accessing your stuff on the go 16GB is probably all most people need and then some.

For a true cloud based backup, Terebytes per person wouldn't be enough for many and the best network speeds in the world don't transfer data fast enough for it to be truly feasible on any kind of scale.
  • Reply 30 of 62
    I just renewed my Family Pack 2 weeks ago. After chatting with online support, this was said to me:

Quote:

Advisor [11:34 a.m.]:

Looking at this link http://archives.subscribermail.com/m...a8d1df0917.htm you can still purchases MobileMe from apple.com/ MobileMe

Which states:

Quote:

Information About MobileMe Retail Box

Starting February 24th, Apple is no longer producing the retail box version of MobileMe.

Once remaining MobileMe retail boxes have been sold through, direct customers to sign up for MobileMe online at www.apple.com/mobileme.

It looks like they will sell Retail Boxes until inventory is gone. At this time you can still buy the subscription in stores. If auto-renew is setup it will go through. The Apple.com store should be back online today with that product.
  • Reply 31 of 62
    guyrguyr Posts: 50member
    Quote:

Discuss....

Hopefully the paid service has no adds too. Maybe they reduce the over all cost also ? $99 to $79 to entice more people ?

If the service does go free, I hope they reimburse people with credits in iTunes pro rata for time left. I guess we'll see next Wednesday.
  • Reply 32 of 62
    So it could actually end up costing more. I purchased my family pack from MegaWatts in January for $76.49. If we're only allowed to buy it from Apple, I hope they drop the price.
  • Reply 33 of 62
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    I thought Apple's idea of a value added online services feature was a better idea. Even at $69 for renewal, the price seems lofty by today's standards and what's available elsewhere.

I'm hoping for more features at a dramatically lower price. We've been witnessing this recent trend in the new App store.

Here's hoping they add something akin to Dropbox, only better!
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And on Wednesday, Apple executives revealed at the company's annual shareholder meeting that its massive $1 billion data center

And I am really glad that they
  • Reply 35 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thompr View Post

If Apple makes MobileMe free, it won't be supported by ads or sales of your information. That is not Apple's way.

I'd love to agree with you but you have heard of iAd right?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And on Wednesday, Apple executives revealed at the company's annual shareholder meeting that its massive $1 billion data center

Is this a sentence?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

So it could actually end up costing more. I purchased my family pack from MegaWatts in January for $76.49. If we're only allowed to buy it from Apple, I hope they drop the price.

Hopefully the codes will still be available at lower prices from 3rd Parties.

Perhaps with iTunes subscriptions they could offer pay monthly to spread the cost.
  • Reply 36 of 62
    Quote:

That's quite a tease. What was the conclusion of this sentence?
  • Reply 37 of 62
    nkhmnkhm Posts: 928member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Well, an overhaul has been a long time coming. Dot Mac was slow and so is MobileMe. It shouldn't have to take 2-3 tries to update my webpage.

I find mobile me incredibly quick. The web apps are like using local apps and the updating my iWeb site is a breeze - are you sure it's mobileme that's to blame?
  • Reply 38 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I thought Apple's idea of a value added online services feature was a better idea. Even at $69 for renewal, the price seems lofty by today's standards and what's available elsewhere.

I'm hoping for more features at a dramatically lower price. We've been witnessing this recent trend in the new App store.

Here's hoping they add something akin to Dropbox, only better!

Mobileme is incredibly good value for money and the only service that provides all that is does under one roof. I'd like to see Apple BUY dropbox and integrate it though...
  • Reply 39 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edorf View Post

I only use this for syncing and will not put a penny more in this "service".

It should be free Mr. Jobs (can pay for other parts, but NOT the syncing)!

By the way, Happy Birthday

Because you only use a tiny percentage of the functionality, it's the service that's somehow flawed?

The web apps are amazing, accessing and sharing files, web hosting, galleries, calendars, backtomymac, syncing, the best webmail app in existence - for less than a fiver a month, ad free with my personal data kept data. Being able to sync my mac - even down to the dock icons...

A very small price to pay.
  • Reply 40 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rob55 View Post

Ditto. And the family plan at that.

November for me! And I'm a little embarrassed to say the $100 was a struggle. This recession really kicked me in the nuts!

Best