First Look: Inside Apple's fast new Thunderbolt port on MacBook Pros

2456789

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 161
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NormM View Post


    The PR about lightpeak was all about an optical serial technology that scales to 100Gbps. It's not obvious how this maps onto an extension of PCI express. Will there be an optical version that also includes electrical connections for bus power, etc?



    Yes, there will be. Copper was used for the first implementation because of cost. But second generation devices will use optical. Power is part of the standard.
  • Reply 22 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post


    I would have liked to see Intel get more industry players onboard before release.



    I agree with you, but Apple was probably worried that another PC maker would debut the tech first, and Apple wants to be seen as the leader of the pack.



    Just my shot in the dark.
  • Reply 23 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post


    I'm curious how many displays a Thunderbolt connections can support in something like the new MBP. Will we be able to daisy chain two, three, four? I tend to keep my laptop and desktops separate, because of a four monitor system. Although there are methods to do this with the laptop, none are that great or that effortless. If Thunderbolt can be a plug it and forget kind of thing for four monitors, one laptop to rule them all might be something I'd get to.



    Likely one. Intel says one (or two), with no explanation for when the (or two) is applicable. The great limitation is that Thunderbolt currently only supports Displayport 1.1a, which doesn't really allow for daisy-chaining of displays (the new 6000-series GPUs support DP 1.2, which does, but to no utility).



    Are there even any displays with support for daisy-chaining in the market today?
  • Reply 24 of 161
    I'm thinking that Thunderbolt could have wider application beyond mere peripheral interconnect. It's bus level. It's possible to connect any machine that require computer control to a Mac, making the Mac its controller. Of course, the puzzle for this is still incomplete. And it doesn't necessarily have to be a Mac. Potentially, any PC will do. The bus level I/O aspect got me thinking...
  • Reply 25 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    ...Copper was used for the first implementation because of cost. But second generation devices will use optical. Power is part of the standard.



    I believe using copper in the initial implementation is a bad idea...because now vendors are going to build a bunch of devices assuming copper...not compatible with future "optical" versions...seems dumb.
  • Reply 26 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mzaslove View Post


    I'm curious how many displays a Thunderbolt connections can support in something like the new MBP. Will we be able to daisy chain two, three, four? I tend to keep my laptop and desktops separate, because of a four monitor system. Although there are methods to do this with the laptop, none are that great or that effortless. If Thunderbolt can be a plug it and forget kind of thing for four monitors, one laptop to rule them all might be something I'd get to.



    Some things I'd like to see:



    1) Ability to, optionally, use any pc like an iMac with Thunderbolt as an additional display only (instead of a connected computer with a display)



    2) Ability to include iPads as:

    ---- connected computer

    ---- connected display

    ---- connected control surface for Aperture, FCP, etc



    3) An ARM-Based device similar to an AppleTV 2 that could be used as:

    ---- A standalone Home Server/Time Machine (with connected HDDs)

    ---- An intermediary to Cloud Server/Time Machine

    ---- A component of a Blade Server for enterprise and SMB



    The ability to interface iPads (and other iDevices) as above, would be a very strong competitive advantage for home, prosumer, SMB and enterprise



    It is interesting to note that a single Thunderbolt connection will act similar to the 2 Fibre Channel ports on the discontinued XServe hardware and support 5 times the data transfer (in both directions concurrently)



    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27033?...ale=en_US#faq2



    I think an ARM-based Blade Server with Thunderbolt would be a natural as a small, inexpensive, low-power (read green and inexpensive to operate) server for Audio and Video editing -- especially if/when it is supported by the New (coming soon) Final Cut Server.



    ....ssssssccccccccchhhhhhhhh



    waiting for the other shoe to fall



    .
  • Reply 27 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midlomuncher View Post


    2012 MacBook Pro & Air models will ship with only 1 port > Thunderbolt will allow thinner/cleaner Macs. Mark my words.



    That's a brilliant idea. hopefully the port is small enough to fit on an iphone or Ipod/ipad. How many peripheralsare you using these dasy anyways.



    Mice/Keyboards have been replaced with bluetooth version.



    Wireless networking have replaced ethernet ports. and to some extent externat storage ports.



    Apple may introduce a completely portless iMac/iPad for schools one day.
  • Reply 28 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Superbass View Post


    Am I the only one who finds it odd that Apple and Intel would launch this without a single peripheral on the market that uses it yet? The intel video had a bunch of "coming soon" products in their demos, but didn't mention when they'd be released. Are Lacie/WD/Seagate et al reluctant enough about the tech that they couldn't co-ordinate some sort of launch at the same time?



    Still waiting for airplay speakers... I'm not surprised at all coming from apple.
  • Reply 29 of 161
    So by the sounds of it, this connector is simply integrating the PCI Express controller with DisplayPort, which means AMD could theoretically implement this into their own chipsets going forward. If so, that means the entire industry can move to standardize all peripherals on all machines onto a single port. No more USB, no more firewire, no more vga/dvi/hdmi.. heck, you won't even need CAT 5 ethernet cables anymore.



    This is a pretty big deal. The only way Intel can screw this up is by putting ridiculous licensing fees to implement it, but if its based on PCI Express and DisplayPort, how can they?
  • Reply 30 of 161
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,696member
    Hey, what happened to Intel's press conference about Thunderbolt which was supposed to start at 10 am pacific time?



    I'd rather see Thunderbolt in action instead of reading about it. Is nobody streaming it or reporting on it?

  • Reply 31 of 161
    Good ol Inte.



    TYPO in the graphic much?
  • Reply 32 of 161
    How many people are going to attempt to plug the power cable into the port marked with the Lightning Bolt?
  • Reply 33 of 161
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,491member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AIaddict View Post


    I would have liked to see Intel get more industry players onboard before release. If Dell and HP and ACER and ASUS and other announce support in all or most of their 2011 products it will catch on like wildfire. If they stear clear, so will the add on companies and it will be wind up like firewire 800.



    The fact that Intel made Thunderbolt, and that Intel will include Thunderbolt standard with millions of motherboards it ships each year, gives it a good chance of wide-spread adoption. Firewire started and ended with Apple.
  • Reply 34 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Won't happen in 2012. You still need USB to sync your current iPhone



    But it will happen eventually.



    Maybe not that far away...



    Have a look at this at about 2:10



    http://www.9to5mac.com/53459/a-good-...eakthunderbolt
  • Reply 35 of 161
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post


    I believe using copper in the initial implementation is a bad idea...because now vendors are going to build a bunch of devices assuming copper...not compatible with future "optical" versions...seems dumb.



    I don't see a problem with it. I believe that there will be backward and forward compatibility. If it was this or wait another year, this is better.



    We don't see Intel rushing to support USB 3 on their mobo's, so support for that is still, after all this time, very thin. It looks as though they will be much more interested in this, as it will scale much better.



    But we have to remember that all standards we've seen over the years have done this. It's the only way to get new tech in place.
  • Reply 36 of 161
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post


    Some things I'd like to see:



    1) Ability to, optionally, use any pc like an iMac with Thunderbolt as an additional display only (instead of a connected computer with a display)



    2) Ability to include iPads as:

    ---- connected computer

    ---- connected display

    ---- connected control surface for Aperture, FCP, etc



    3) An ARM-Based device similar to an AppleTV 2 that could be used as:

    ---- A standalone Home Server/Time Machine (with connected HDDs)

    ---- An intermediary to Cloud Server/Time Machine

    ---- A component of a Blade Server for enterprise and SMB



    The ability to interface iPads (and other iDevices) as above, would be a very strong competitive advantage for home, prosumer, SMB and enterprise



    It is interesting to note that a single Thunderbolt connection will act similar to the 2 Fibre Channel ports on the discontinued XServe hardware and support 5 times the data transfer (in both directions concurrently)



    http://support.apple.com/kb/TA27033?...ale=en_US#faq2



    I think an ARM-based Blade Server with Thunderbolt would be a natural as a small, inexpensive, low-power (read green and inexpensive to operate) server for Audio and Video editing -- especially if/when it is supported by the New (coming soon) Final Cut Server.



    ....ssssssccccccccchhhhhhhhh



    waiting for the other shoe to fall



    .



    While I don't think we'll see an Apple blade server, one reason they withdrew their servers (though it's interesting that 10.7 will include both client and server), I do think that much of what you wrote here will come true in one way or another.
  • Reply 37 of 161
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zandros View Post


    Likely one. Intel says one (or two), with no explanation for when the (or two) is applicable. The great limitation is that Thunderbolt currently only supports Displayport 1.1a, which doesn't really allow for daisy-chaining of displays (the new 6000-series GPUs support DP 1.2, which does, but to no utility).



    Thanks. Wasn't sure. No doubt that will evolve, or someone will make a "graphics" hub.
  • Reply 38 of 161
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post


    Hey, what happened to Intel's press conference about Thunderbolt which was supposed to start at 10 am pacific time?



    I'd rather see Thunderbolt in action instead of reading about it. Is nobody streaming it or reporting on it?





    I was looking for that too. I'm trying to find more info on the port, but all that comes up is info about the new MBP intro with Thunderbolt. I was hoping for more updated info about specs, such as power, cable length, etc. Apple gives none of that in their spec page right now, though I haven't checked support.
  • Reply 39 of 161
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 8,696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post


    I was hoping for more updated info about specs, such as power, cable length, etc.



    I can help you with one of those. The port gives 10 watts of power, which is twice as much as USB 3.0. I read that on engadget, they already have a 15" review unit.
  • Reply 40 of 161
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 31,895member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post


    The fact that Intel made Thunderbolt, and that Intel will include Thunderbolt standard with millions of motherboards it ships each year, gives it a good chance of wide-spread adoption. Firewire started and ended with Apple.



    As usual, it's more complex than that. Intel had said that they would put FW on their Mobo's, but both Apple and TI were asking for $0.25 per port at first, and that's why we got USB 2. But Sony used FW on most of their machines, and other manufacturers used it on some. For years, every camcorder had it as standard, and a number of high end digital cameras did, and still do use it. Its standard in the professional music industry. Even the military uses it. It's not just an Apple thing.
Sign In or Register to comment.