Mac OS X Lion to aid Windows PC switchers in Migration Assistant

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple has added a new option in Mac OS X 10.7 Lion to simplify the process of switching from a Windows PC to a Mac via network import of old files.

Apple has historically helped Mac users to upgrade to a new machine via FireWire Target Disk Mode, which converts their old Mac into a hard drive that their new machine can import data, files and settings from via Migration Assistant.

However, as some new Mac models have dropped FireWire, Apple added a network copy feature to Migration Assistant that enabled a new machine to connect to a previous Mac via a network connection to perform the same task.

In Lion, Migration Assistant offers to connect to a PC over the network as well, enabling new Mac users to pull their data from an existing Windows-based computer.

It's not clear if the Assistant requires client software running on the Windows PC to work; performing a Mac to Mac network migration simply uses the same app on both ends, one sharing to, the other copying from. The developer reporting the new feature did not note if anything was required on the PC side.

Update: A developer has noted that Apple supplies a MigrationAssistantSetup.exe program for PC users on its developer site, which acts as a client for the Mac Migration Assistant to pull data from as it performs a migration.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

It's not clear if the Assistant requires client software running on the Windows PC to work; performing a Mac to Mac network migration simply uses the same app on both ends, one sharing to, the other copying from. The developer reporting the new feature did not note if anything was required on the PC side.

Given that you have to startup migration assistant on the source Mac, i'm thinking yes or th PC side software
  • Reply 2 of 39
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    You can use it to transfer your Prince McLean account to your Daniel Eran account.
  • Reply 3 of 39
    This will be an amazing tool to aid switchers!
  • Reply 4 of 39
    so your Safari bookmarks and iTunes library comes over. I guess MS Office docs and all data could come over. I'm just not sure that even 50% of that data would be of use on the Mac side for a typical user. However, with the Mac App Store, Apple could "recommend" apps to use those PC data files!! Interesting stuff!
  • Reply 5 of 39

• Reply 6 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macintel4me View Post

so your Safari bookmarks and iTunes library comes over. I guess MS Office docs and all data could come over. I'm just not sure that even 50% of that data would be of use on the Mac side for a typical user. However, with the Mac App Store, Apple could "recommend" apps to use those PC data files!! Interesting stuff!

Seeing that you had to have extra software to make and use those files on the PC side, having to buy extra software on the Mac side isn't an absurd position. I can open those Office files on iWork, OpenOffice, NeoOffice or even MS Office for Mac. Not really seeing what is the show stopper here. I would hope that this system can translate emails too, which isn't an insurmountable task. There aren't a lot of files commonly made on a Windows computer that can't be opened on a Mac.
  • Reply 7 of 39
    Don't know how accurate this is, but Apple's Migration Assistant for late 2006 Core Duo users may be to purchase a new computer.

http://www.tuaw.com/2011/02/25/lion-...st-intel-macs/
  • Reply 8 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You can use it to transfer your Prince McLean account to your Daniel Eran account.

Give it a break will you? For once I'd like to read intelligent discussion and not childish nitpicking. Grow up or go back to the 3rd grade playground.
  • Reply 9 of 39
    It's now easier to transfer from PC to Mac than it is to transfer from PC to PC.

Don't worry...it's not like you've had time to figure this one out...
  • Reply 10 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Given that you have to startup migration assistant on the source Mac, i'm thinking yes or th PC side software

Or maybe all it needs is filesharing?

From a Mac, they're doing more than just moving files. They're grabbing and converting preferences, migrating eMail, etc. It wouldn't really be meaningful to do all that from a PC. They're as different as, well? Apples and Lemons.

I'm willing to bet that Apple is less ambitious on the PC side. Wouldn't be surprised if all they're doing is moving files across, nothing more; that wouldn't take any specialized software on the PC. (Perhaps they might give limited instructions on how to export eMail into a format Mail.app can import.0

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Give it a break will you? For once I'd like to read intelligent discussion and not childish nitpicking. Grow up or go back to the 3rd grade playground.

Chill out, get a llife, or whatever.
  • Reply 11 of 39
    I could have used this. I just switched from a Windows laptop to a new MBP last night.
  • Reply 12 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Seeing that you had to have extra software to make and use those files on the PC side, having to buy extra software on the Mac side isn't an absurd position. I can open those Office files on iWork, OpenOffice, NeoOffice or even MS Office for Mac. Not really seeing what is the show stopper here. I would hope that this system can translate emails too, which isn't an insurmountable task. There aren't a lot of files commonly made on a Windows computer that can't be opened on a Mac.

I don't se any show stopper either. However there are a lot of file types I work with on a PC that wouldn't be of any use if transferred to a new Mac (without Parallels or similar). For example, MS Publisher files, MS Access files etc. FWIW I still see this as a good move. I own a cable/software package from Belkin which I use to help friends who are switching. It does the same job - and does it well - that would be redundant now. Anything that makes it easier is a good thing.

[PS I just went looking for a link to the Belkin product and it seems to be discontinued - perhaps they knew ]

[PPS There is client software at either end for the Belkin product and it migrates email, photos, music etc to standard places on the Mac. I'd be disappointed if the Apple version didn't do at least that]
  • Reply 13 of 39
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

He is probably just joking. It seems you're making a bigger deal out of it than he was.
  • Reply 14 of 39
    Quote:

Genius!
  • Reply 15 of 39
    Brilliant! Why can't I think of ideas like this?

Oh well, time for a beer!
  • Reply 16 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Brilliant! Why can't I think of ideas like this?

Oh well, time for a beer!

I think I can put my finger on one potential reason.
  • Reply 17 of 39
    ronboronbo Posts: 669member
    Quote:

Quote:

Uh, yeah, well you've kinda got that reversed there, doncha? It's the "Prince McLean" handle that smacks of the 3rd grade. It warrants worse than than what Ireland directed at it, frankly. One would almost think you were Daniel incognito... except your comment was too short.
  • Reply 18 of 39
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gregarious119 View Post

It's now easier to transfer from PC to Mac than it is to transfer from PC to PC.

Don't worry...it's not like you've had time to figure this one out...

you know, windows have had this feature for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer
  • Reply 19 of 39
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by majjo View Post

you know, windows have had this feature for a while:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Easy_Transfer

Read the info on the link you provided. it?s not exactly an elegant feature.
  • Reply 20 of 39
    I'm actually surprised the new PC migration tool took this long. Back in the days of Apple's Switcher ad campaign (remember that?), a tool like this would have been a good sell in the days of OS X Tiger. Instead Apple Stores were having to recommend third party utilities to do the same thing. Even recently I had to help a friend (and new Mac Switcher) manually transfer files from an old PC laptop to their MacBook Pro. Having a tool like this built into the OS can make the difference between a sale and a lost potential customer.

If you want to make it really fancy, the tool could make recommendations on which programs will open their legacy files in a simple report or recommend third party software in case it doesn't exist on the new Mac being loaded. If the third party app exists in the Mac App store, the new Mac customer is that much closer to a purchase.