T-Mobile pans lack of 4G in Apple iPhone; more evidence of Android apps for RIM PlayBook

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 55
    jingojingo Posts: 117member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So now RIM is opening up to Android apps?

Think about what this means for developers....

Clearly the RIM share does not represent the Playbook. All of that share will NOT run Android apps until some unspecified time in the future. In the short term it will only be Playbook that will run Android apps. By the time that RIM phones run Android apps all the competitive smartphone platforms will have had at least one year's more development to get even further ahead.
  • Reply 42 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

All T-Mobile phones

are 3G phones.
    True story. Despite the ‘4,’ all

T-Mobile phones run on 3G

networks per the ITU.

They had no choice. Sprint started it with saying their WiMAX was ‘4G’ even though their implementation was about as far as you could get from the then ITU definition of ‘4G’, then T-Mobile with LTE (which AT&T rallied against, at first), then Verizon with LTE. AT&T really has no choice in a society that is ignorant to technical aspects and is used to the marketing terms typically have a one up over the previous generation tech.

I can’t fault them for that, nor can we fault the public for not realizing how HSPA compares with HSPA+ compares to WiMAX compares LTE compares to LTE-Advanced, or how the ITU defines these terms and every carrier in the US is using the marketing term because they can (and should). All we can do is try not to strain the rectus muscles of our orbits when we uncontrollably roll our eyes when someone claims that their phone with ‘4G’ in better than a phone with ‘3G’ without actually knowing what that implies except that the number before the ‘G’ is one more than the other.

My perception is that we've still a way to go before the service providers have the capacity in their networks to exceed the technical capabilities of the [3G] services they are delivering. Moving up a technology doesn't seem the sensible course of action.

I'm buoyed that in the UK Orange and T-Mobile are sharing their networks now to improve capacity and coverage to users at no cost to them. http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/share/ Hope this practice spreads elsewhere.

The fragmented mess that it sounds like the US "4G" networks are in only seems to benefit the marketing departments and no-one else.
  • Reply 43 of 55
    A lie repeated often enough soon becomes the truth. That is the sad fact that T-Mobile is relying upon.
  • Reply 44 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

Do you have anything to back up your statements or are you just really telling us your OPINION?

Well everything is perception in the end. Yes they are my opinion. As an owner of both products I should hope I have somewhat of an idea what I'm talking about. And in fact if you listen other people who own both products you do hear similar opinions. Whatever anyway. I don't expect people here to listen too much. Not much of you do anyhow.
  • Reply 45 of 55
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 46 of 55
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    T mobile 4G network is a 3G. Despite the 4 in its name.
  • Reply 47 of 55
    This really shouldn't be a suspicion. Anyone developing for the Playbook will see in the the android XML (commented out) at the bottom of the generated XML for a new project.
  • Reply 48 of 55
    axualaxual Posts: 244member
    T-Mobile evidently is confused ... but I could not care less.
  • Reply 49 of 55
    So when Verizon went from "1x" to EvDO and called the latter "3G" even though 1x was 3G as well, where was the outrage then???

Look, current/1st gen 3G tech (UMTS) gives you around 2mbps. The current "4G" can give you around 10-14, LTE and wimax included, and HSPDA+ can max out around 56mbps, half of what LTE will have.

SO, you say? Here's a little fact: iphones on wifi-n cannot even get over 30mbps, so why cry about "true" 4G when it arrives???
  • Reply 50 of 55
    What a joke. T-Mobile sucks, I'd keep AT&T any day over T-Mobile! Never did AT&T or Verizon claim the iPhone4 was a "4G" phone it's simply a 4th Generation phone as we all know. Way to manipulate and mislead customers to go to your crappy network
  • Reply 51 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by S8ER01Z View Post

T-mobile..FIRE and yes I mean FIRE the person behind this fail campaign. It's going to hurt you in the long run.

Iphone 4 (not Iphone 4G).... meaning 4th Iphone not 4G capable. My 4 year old understands this...if your customers don't I think I finally understand how you manage to stay in business.

You don't want to be T-Mobile when AT&T and Verizon both rollout LTE, and you are stuck explaining why their 4G is so much faster than your fake 4G.
  • Reply 52 of 55
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

So now RIM is opening up to Android apps?

Think about what this means for developers....

Well, no.

As a developer, you're more concerned about how much money is spent on each platform than how many devices there are. And iOS wins that one hands-down.
  • Reply 53 of 55
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jingo View Post

Clearly the RIM share does not represent the Playbook. All of that share will NOT run Android apps until some unspecified time in the future. In the short term it will only be Playbook that will run Android apps. By the time that RIM phones run Android apps all the competitive smartphone platforms will have had at least one year's more development to get even further ahead.

My prediction for mid-2012:

WM7 jumps to 20% as it absorbs Symbian share and a bit of Android share.

Symbian drops 20% as it begins to get replaced.

iOS flat...share growth held in check by prices and Apple being the only company making iOS devices.

RIM/BB drops 6-7% points as phones get phased off the BB OS.

RIM/QNX goes 3-5% share assuming BB phones start getting QNX.

Android up a few points but massive share growth held in check by Nokia/MS.

That means RIM/QNX will be pretty much where WM is today.

What will developers target the most? iOS, Android and WM.
  • Reply 54 of 55
    "Despite the 4 the iPhone 4 is not a 4G phone"?

Why doesn't T-Mobile say:

"Despite the 4G the T-Mobile 4G service is not 4G"?
  • Reply 55 of 55
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgan.nelson View Post

Here is an interesting bit of real world knowledge - I have a T-Mobile myTouch 4G and an iPhone 4 on AT&T: The iPhone consistently loads webpages FASTER than the myTouch. The iPhone consistently maintains a 3G connection, whereas T-Mobiles network is so f*ed up that I bounce from 4g (H) to Edge (E) ALL THE TIME.

Well Duh! The iPhone 4 has a faster processor than the myTouch. My Vibrant on T-Mobile loads web pages faster than the iPhone 4. The HTC G2 with HSPA+ loads web pages faster than my Vibrant. As far as bouncing between 3G/4G/Edge is concerned, it happens with every carrier in the US. I never see this when I'm traveling abroad. Even phone signals are constantly dancing around.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by morgan.nelson View Post

Add to that the joy of not being able to browse and talk at the same time and AT&T gets another +.

As it is - I have a personal AT&T account so I can have the phone I want to use, and just use the myTouch to make work related phone calls and view my calendar items (not create, or edit, or manage - Android can't do that).

If you couldn't figure out how to browse and talk at the same time on T-Mobile and how to create/edit/manage your calendar (let alone the seamless syncing) on Android, then you should stick to the iPhone.