First Look: Apple's early 2011 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros with Thunderbolt

Comments

• Reply 41 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm disappointed by the displays. The 13" should have the same 1440x900 screen as the air and the 1680x1050 should be standard on the 15"

Not everyone has your young eyeballs.
  • Reply 42 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Do these use SATA III?

I found this link on the Apple Support forums. Apparently the answer is yes, SATA III is supported.
  • Reply 43 of 64
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post

Thinking about installing an SSD kit from OWC to replace the optical drive, which I rarely use, and installing startup and application files on it.

Might have to let my wallet cool off first...

What kit are you talking about, not finding it on the site.

NM: Just had to ask, pretty cool!

http://eshop.macsales.com/search/data+doubler
  • Reply 44 of 64
    djames4242djames4242 Posts: 651member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

What kit are you talking about, not finding it on the site.

It's not through OWC (unless they've started carrying these too); it's from MCE Tech.
  • Reply 45 of 64
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvfox View Post

Why is speed so essential to all you computer users constantly? Is is gaming or video editing? Most of what we do we can do with the core 2 duo processor.What really is important is the ISP that is what counts I think.

Your post stuck in my mind, and after receiving my new MBP yesterday, I agree. I didn't notice any additional speed in daily use. (I already use a SSD, that improved on things greatly). Did notice that the fan was on a bit more than the old one.

In any case, the upgrade ended not being worth the cost, back to Apple it goes.
  • Reply 46 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rbonner View Post

Your post stuck in my mind, and after receiving my new MBP yesterday, I agree. I didn't notice any additional speed in daily use. (I already use a SSD, that improved on things greatly). Did notice that the fan was on a bit more than the old one.

If by "Daily Use" you mean surfing, email, and word processing, I doubt much difference would be noted between my 1.83ghz CD and a new 2.2ghz quad-core i7. It's not for light tasks that faster processing is important. Where I expect to see a difference is in the use of Aperture and Final Cut - applications which have become very tedious for me to use because of the time it takes for filters to apply and rendering to process.
  • Reply 47 of 64
    thorstenthorsten Posts: 46member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BenRoethig View Post

I'm disappointed by the displays. The 13" should have the same 1440x900 screen as the air and the 1680x1050 should be standard on the 15"

I totally agree.

I don't get it why does Apple not increase the screen resolution?

I mean I buy Apple because I want the damn best thing out there that just works.

And Apple usually fulfills that promise.

But for sometime now I am wondering why is the resolution higher with other Laptop manufacturers?

And why can we not get more RAM?

Isn't the machine called Macbook ""PRO"" ??? Meaning "Professional"???!!!

And then I think "Oh well I am sure with the next update Apple will be better or at least catch up.

But NO!!!

The highest resolution you can get on a MBP is "1680 x 1050" on the Lenovo W Series its with the 15.6" monitor 1920 x 1080 pixels. Hello???!!!

Well ok that like only 15% more on the Lenovo fine nothing to get in a fuss about.

But on the Lenovo I can get 16GB Ram!!!! That 200%!!! Twice as much as the MBP! So can somebody explain that to me???

I really don't get it why can we only get 8 GB of Ram on a Macbook Pro? Even on an iMac I can get 16Gb and there is nothing that says Pro on that machine.

Well lets see what the next Macbook Pro update will bring before the end of the year.

Or they can make a name change to: "The soft of kind of pretending to be profesional Macbook Pro".

Or the Pro stands for something else? Like "proactively trying to pretend to be something that I am not."

For the Germans out there: I guess the Macbook is trying to learn something from Mr. Guttenberg certainly something I would advice anyone else to do.
  • Reply 48 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post

I totally agree.

I don't get it why does Apple not increase the screen resolution?

I mean I buy Apple because I want the damn best thing out there that just works.

And Apple usually fulfills that promise.

But for sometime now I am wondering why is the resolution higher with other Laptop manufacturers?

And why can we not get more RAM?

Isn't the machine called Macbook ""PRO"" ??? Meaning "Professional"???!!!

And then I think "Oh well I am sure with the next update Apple will be better or at least catch up.

But NO!!!

The highest resolution you can get on a MBP is "1680 x 1050" on the Lenovo W Series its with the 15.6" monitor 1920 x 1080 pixels. Hello???!!!

Well ok that like only 15% more on the Lenovo fine nothing to get in a fuss about.

But on the Lenovo I can get 16GB Ram!!!! That 200%!!! Twice as much as the MBP! So can somebody explain that to me???

I really don't get it why can we only get 8 GB of Ram on a Macbook Pro? Even on an iMac I can get 16Gb and there is nothing that says Pro on that machine.

Well lets see what the next Macbook Pro update will bring before the end of the year.

Or they can make a name change to: "The soft of kind of pretending to be profesional Macbook Pro".

Or the Pro stands for something else? Like "proactively trying to pretend to be something that I am not."

For the Germans out there: I guess the Macbook is trying to learn something from Mr. Guttenberg certainly something I would advice anyone else to do.

Maybe you should understand what a higher resolution does to the viewing or an OS and expand your understanding of display technology to include aspects that go beyond the resolution. In other words, thinking a display is shit because another vendor has a slightly higher PPI without considering the viewing angle, backlight, color accuracy, blacks, whites, etc. is just you falling for the cheap marketing of superficial specs without looking at the big picture.

As for you comment about RAM, show me which 8GB notebook RAM sticks you have in mind. The most I?m seeing is 8GB kits (2x4GB sticks), not 16GB kits (2x8GB sticks). Where are they? Who makes them? Who sells them? How much are they?
  • Reply 49 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Logisticaldron View Post

Maybe you should understand what a higher resolution does to the viewing or an OS and expand your understanding of display technology to include aspects that go beyond the resolution. In other words, thinking a display is shit because another vendor has a slightly higher PPI without considering the viewing angle, backlight, color accuracy, blacks, whites, etc. is just you falling for the cheap marketing of superficial specs without looking at the big picture.

As for you comment about RAM, show me which 8GB notebook RAM sticks you have in mind. The most I?m seeing is 8GB kits (2x4GB sticks), not 16GB kits (2x8GB sticks). Where are they? Who makes them? Who sells them? How much are they?

Well I agree that you might have point about the display and if thats the case then Apple should explain that somewhere.

But since Apple encourages me to pay $100 extra to get a resolution of 1680 x 1050 instead of 1440 x 900 I have to assume that even more would be even better.

But again you might be right and if that is the case it should be explained somewhere.

Or maybe just list the Pixel spec next to the viewing angle spec and then I see that the viewing angle decreases because of more pixels.

To be honest it doesn't make sense to me why would a display with less pixel be better than display with more pixel if all the rest stays the same? Maybe you can explain that to me. Or explain to me what else changes other than the pixels. Which results in a lower pixel display being better than a high resolution display.

Regarding the Ram I am complaining about the fact that the MBP pnly have 2 slots instead of 4. The Lenovo has 4 lots in which I can put each 4 GG.

4 x 4GB gives me 16 GB of Ram.
  • Reply 50 of 64
    Quote:

Well I agree that you might have point about the display and if thats the case then Apple should explain that somewhere.

But since Apple encourages me to pay $100 extra to get a resolution of 1680 x 1050 instead of 1440 x 900 I have to assume that even more would be even better.

But again you might be right and if that is the case it should be explained somewhere.

Or maybe just list the Pixel spec next to the viewing angle spec and then I see that the viewing angle decreases because of more pixels.

To be honest it doesn't make sense to me why would a display with less pixel be better than display with more pixel if all the rest stays the same? Maybe you can explain that to me. Or explain to me what else changes other than the pixels. Which results in a lower pixel display being better than a high resolution display.

Regarding the Ram I am complaining about the fact that the MBP pnly have 2 slots instead of 4. The Lenovo has 4 lots in which I can put each 4 GG.

4 x 4GB gives me 16 GB of Ram.

You lost me twice in your reply?

1) You don?t know how a higher resolution display would cost more with all things being equal or are you oddly under the impression that all notebook displays are equal because Apple doesn?t give you a bunch of technical detail that you wouldn?t understand?

2) You said you don?t understand how the MBP only has 8GB maximum but the iMac (which isn?t stated as Pro) has 16GB, even though you?re aware that it has 4 slots. Did you also not notice that it has a much larger size, higher quality panel type and much higher resolution? How about the much faster processor, larger HDD, etc.? Are those acceptable because it?s a desktop machine compared to a notebook yet having room for a desktop class processor and additional RAM slots is somehow not acceptable?

I really don?t get where your coming from except to say that because some other machine has something that Apple should also include it or their products are crap and they are lying to us about calling it ?Pro?. What is this Lenovo you speak of? is it 0.95? thick? Do you not know that there are faster processors in other notebooks, some even using desktop-grade components in notebooks, albeit at the expense of battery life?
  • Reply 51 of 64
    Quote:

You lost me twice in your reply?

1) You don?t know how a higher resolution display would cost more with all things being equal or are you oddly under the impression that all notebook displays are equal because Apple doesn?t give you a bunch of technical detail that you wouldn?t understand?

2) You said you don?t understand how the MBP only has 8GB maximum but the iMac (which isn?t stated as Pro) has 16GB, even though you?re aware that it has 4 slots. Did you also not notice that it has a much larger size, higher quality panel type and much higher resolution? How about the much faster processor, larger HDD, etc.? Are those acceptable because it?s a desktop machine compared to a notebook yet having room for a desktop class processor and additional RAM slots is somehow not acceptable?

I really don?t get where your coming from except to say that because some other machine has something that Apple should also include it or their products are crap and they are lying to us about calling it ?Pro?. What is this Lenovo you speak of? is it 0.95? thick? Do you not know that there are faster processors in other notebooks, some even using desktop-grade components in notebooks, albeit at the expense of battery life?

To you first point. Em yes I would understand it and if not I would look it up. Or even better Apple should explain it. Or they might as well not give any specs at all.

But since they do give us the specs they are obviously something to talk about. And used to compare to other products. Otherwise what are the specs good for?

Regarding the iMac yes your right so never mind.

Regarding the RAM yes your right the Lenovo W-Series is about 1 cm thicker.

But still I believe 8 GB is really not enough for a so called profesional Laptop. And at least the 17" should have the option for more Ram than just 8 GB.
  • Reply 52 of 64
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:

To you first point. Em yes I would understand it and if not I would look it up. Or even better Apple should explain it. Or they might as well not give any specs at all.

Apple's customers don't care.

Quote:

But still I believe 8 GB is really not enough for a so called profesional Laptop. And at least the 17" should have the option for more Ram than just 8 GB.

What laptops can take more than 8GB? And where are these mythical 8GB sticks?
  • Reply 53 of 64
    1. I am an Apple Customer I care.

I believe many people care about Specs but I agree many people including many Windows customers don't care and don't understand specs.

2. I never said anything about 8GB sticks.

MBP can have a maximum of 2 x 4 GB sticks. = in total 8 GB.

While many other profesional Laptops have 4 slots so 2 more than MBP which gives them a maximum of 4 x 4Gb sticks = 16GB.
  • Reply 54 of 64
    Quote:

I never said anything about 8GB sticks.

While many other profesional Laptops have 4 slots so 2 more than MBP which gives them a maximum of 4 x 4Gb sticks = 16GB.

When you can fit four RAM slots into this, you give us a call.

• Reply 55 of 64
    No problem:

I suggest some duct tape right in the center seems to be a big hole where you can still put stuff. :-P
  • Reply 56 of 64
    Quote:

No problem:

I suggest some duct tape right in the center seems to be a big hole where you can still put stuff. :-P

Fans. For cooling. Something those PC workstation laptops grievously lack.
  • Reply 57 of 64
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Fans. For cooling. Something those PC workstation laptops grievously lack.

Fans for cooling? Come on use some intelligent design and proper materials and we don't need any fans!! Only Fanboys !!! :-D
  • Reply 58 of 64
    Quote:

1. I am an Apple Customer I care.

I believe many people care about Specs but I agree many people including many Windows customers don't care and don't understand specs.

2. I never said anything about 8GB sticks.

You seem to be stuck on certain specs while letting other specs go as if they don?t matter. I don?t see why 4 slots make it more professional than some other notebook with 4 slots if that other laptop is ?less professional? in other ways.

I think we need to look at your usage needs to see why you think 8GB simply isn?t enough for any professional and why you?re getting hung up on a marketing term to differentiate from the MacBook line. Are you suggesting that the MacBook Pros are less pro than the base MacBooks? Why even compare it to another machine unless you?re specifically looking to buy one or the other?

Note that all these Macs are CONSUMER machines, regardless or where or how they are used. Which is to say that consumer machines are often used in a professional environment. The same goes with Lenovo. The only true professional machines are those that are specialized for a specific professional task where you pay a huge premium and deal with other shortcomings in order to deal with that specialized need.

As for Apple having to explain all this I see no requirement nor do I see a need. There increase in sales over the market speak for themselves, they already make ⅓ of all PC profits in the world, they have over 90% of the >$1000 price range, and you ? whom I know is generally technerally tech savvy ? seem unaware or these differences so I can?t see how any of that detailed info about color gamuts would make sense to the plebs who don?t frequent these tech forums. We know that if we really want to know we can find others who are doing in-depth comparisons of the finer details.
  • Reply 59 of 64
    Quote:

Fans for cooling? Come on use some intelligent design and proper materials and we don't need any fans!! Only Fanboys !!! :-D

Are you joking around now or being serious?
  • Reply 60 of 64
    Quote:

You seem to be stuck on certain specs while letting other specs go as if they don’t matter. I don’t see why 4 slots make it more professional than some other notebook with 4 slots if that other laptop is “less professional” in other ways.

I think we need to look at your usage needs to see why you think 8GB simply isn’t enough for any professional and why you’re getting hung up on a marketing term to differentiate from the MacBook line. Are you suggesting that the MacBook Pros are less pro than the base MacBooks? Why even compare it to another machine unless you’re specifically looking to buy one or the other?

Note that all these Macs are CONSUMER machines, regardless or where or how they are used. Which is to say that consumer machines are often used in a professional environment. The same goes with Lenovo. The only true professional machines are those that are specialized for a specific professional task where you pay a huge premium and deal with other shortcomings in order to deal with that specialized need.

As for Apple having to explain all this I see no requirement nor do I see a need. There increase in sales over the market speak for themselves, they already make ⅓ of all PC profits in the world, they have over 90% of the >$1000 price range, and you — whom I know is generally technerally tech savvy — seem unaware or these differences so I can’t see how any of that detailed info about color gamuts would make sense to the plebs who don’t frequent these tech forums. We know that if we really want to know we can find others who are doing in-depth comparisons of the finer details.

Interesting what kind of specialized "profesional" machines are you talking about?

Are there any in the Laptop space? Only thing that comes to my mind are those I believe Panasonic Laptops which you could pretty much throw from the Empire State Building and they still would be fine and maybe Gaming Laptops wich are soft of specialized.

I guess I would just expect that the "Profesional Mac User" is a person who edits a lot of Movies and Music as well as Photoshop (I am obviously simplifying) and other power hungry tasks.

And I would expect such a "profesional" would need a lot more power meaning a lot more Ram.

But I guess not.

And hey I obviously still have the choice to use any other hardware and insstall Windows 7 or Ubuntu instead if Apple does not sell what I want.

EDIT: (Or any other OS for that matter)