Apple expected to ship 6.5M iPads in first quarter, 40 million in 2011

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Well the Apple Store is down so there's probably *some* new product this morning.

Anticipation building......
  • Reply 22 of 39
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Well the Apple Store is down so there's probably *some* new product this morning.

Apple bought the rights to the Zune and will be reintroducing it at 10...
  • Reply 23 of 39
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    FWIW, I posted this on another thread:

First. Macnn had the teaser up and an active link to the article -- showing a screenshot of Amazon pages.

The Amazon pages listed an iPad with the features stated in the teaser, and AIR, a 449 Euro price (don't recall the RAM size).

Beneath that list item was another that (I think) had the same price but didn't mention the new features... (a current iPad 1?).

Then they took down the linked page -- went to an error page listing the linked page, among others, that were unavailable.

Then the linked page listing was removed from the error page.

Finally, the the teaser page disappeared...

Pffhhht... It never happened.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Macnn had this up.

Edit: but now it's gone.

The link worked, but now is broken!

Quote:

current news

iPad 2 specs leaked by Amazon Germany, 1.2GHz, Thunderbolt?

43 minutes ago | Posted in: Apple, iPad

diggemail(1)

An eagle-eyed German reader has sent Your Daily Apple a screen shot from a since removed Amazon Germany page that appears to list the specifications of the next-generation iPad due to be introduced later today. The site listed the Apple iPad 2 with a 1.2Ghz processor, Wi-Fi, 3G, Thunderbolt, Camera, and Bluetooth, all of which have been deemed either likely or possible inclusions for the device. Further, the listing also makes reference to an estimated March 17 release date, corroborating recent reports that the device would be ready to ship almost immediately.

more

Read more: http://www.macnn.com/#ixzz1FRdByfmT

• Reply 24 of 39
    And when it comes back up, the new iPad will be there!!
  • Reply 25 of 39
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Dual boot w/ Android!

With a Blu-ray drive!

And it will be delivered to you by a swimsuit model riding a pink unicorn!
  • Reply 26 of 39
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:

Dual boot w/ Android!

That would be hot actually. I would totally have to have that on my phone.
  • Reply 27 of 39
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cvaldes1831 View Post

With a Blu-ray drive!

Ewww no! Blu-ray is YUCK!
  • Reply 28 of 39
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:

With a Blu-ray drive!

I take it that you find all of the above (incl. dual boot w. Android) appealing on some level, yet unattainable.
  • Reply 29 of 39
    dick applebaumdick applebaum Posts: 12,527member
    I, personally, believe that Apple will sell 60 million iPads in CY 2011.

If the iPad 2 has Thunderbolt, as I hope it does -- it means that the iPad 2 can be used conjoined with a Mac as a co-peripheral.

This opens up many possibilities beyond consumer use.

For example the, iPad could be used as a powerful, inexpensive graphics tablet (with fingers or a stylus). for artists, photo editing, CAD, video editing.

Another, similar use would be as a powerful, inexpensive multitouch control surface (buttons, sliders, knobs, etc.) for sound and video editing/presentation.

This would be a natural for the pros -- if Apple were to support the capability in the next release (soon) of Final Cut and Logic.

It could easily be supported with iLife and iWork -- everyone from the home user to the prosumer to the pro could use the iPad as a graphics tablet/control surface for a Mac.

Think of the possibilities in medicine, science, business presentations, sports (telestrating)...

I may need to rethink my 60 million iPad estimate --- it may be too low!
  • Reply 30 of 39
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I take it that you find all of the above (incl. dual boot w. Android) appealing on some level, yet unattainable.

Actually, having my iPad delivered by a swimsuit model sounds appealing.

Blu-ray and dual-boot Android? Bleech.

I have no real opinion about pink unicorns.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I, personally, believe that Apple will sell 60 million iPads in CY 2011.

If the iPad 2 has Thunderbolt, as I hope it does -- it means that the iPad 2 can be used conjoined with a Mac as a co-peripheral.

This opens up many possibilities beyond consumer use.

For example the, iPad could be used as a powerful, inexpensive graphics tablet (with fingers or a stylus). for artists, photo editing, CAD, video editing.

Another, similar use would be as a powerful, inexpensive multitouch control surface (buttons, sliders, knobs, etc.) for sound and video editing/presentation.

To be honest, the applications you describe do not require 20 jiggerbits! USB is more than fast enough for that sort of stuff.

C.
  • Reply 32 of 39
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DrDoppio View Post

I only speak from the point of view of the consumer.

I've never seen commodity technology that didn't suck.

Once manufacturers struggle to extract a 5% margin, they give up trying.

C.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    Quote:

Actually, having my iPad delivered by a swimsuit model sounds appealing.

Be careful what you wish for...

• Reply 34 of 39
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

To be honest, the applications you describe do not require 20 jiggerbits! USB is more than fast enough for that sort of stuff.

C.

You are right!

I didn't elaborate on the conjoined co-peripheral in my post.

One difference is the graphics tablet -- the iPad would display the area of the image/video CAD drawing being worked on -- while the Mac display would show the overall view. You zoom (ah, almost typed Xoom) in on the image on the iPad and manipulate it on the iPad with fingers or stylus -- the results show on the Mac display, as well,

Also, I assume you will have the ability to drag and drop files, quickly, between the Mac and iPad.

So you prepare your image/video/drawing/blueprint/presentation on the iPad-Mac, then drag the results to the iPad, take that to the client, give a one-on-one preso or AirPlay to the AppleTV/HDTV in the meeting/board room.
  • Reply 35 of 39
    drdoppiodrdoppio Posts: 1,132member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

I've never seen commodity technology that didn't suck.

Once manufacturers struggle to extract a 5% margin, they give up trying.

C.

Any mature technology is a commodity. I guess your electricity sucks. They don't make those electrons any more the way they used to.
  • Reply 36 of 39
    capnbobcapnbob Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple needs to sell the crap out of the iPad 2 to shut up the pundits with their ridiculous banter about Android tablets taking huge amounts of market share from the iPad. If Apple can sell 6 million iPads to every 1 million Android tablets, that will keep Apple well in the lead in mind-share alone. Apple needs to get some cloud hook that consumers absolutely cannot resist and won't even consider buying an Android tablet. Every time a new Android tablet is introduced, Apple needs to counter with some offer that will knock the legs out from under that particular Android tablet. If Apple can do that for another year maybe rival Android vendors will realize that the tablet business isn't viable for them and most of them will just give up.

Maybe the iPad 2 will merely offer a processor speed-bump, added cameras and hopefully the same battery life as the iPad 1 in a thinner case. If the display quality is kept high, consumers should still take to it. I hope they're already starting to camp out in front of Apple retail stores. I'd like to see these Android tablet dominance rumors squashed as quickly as possible.

To be fair - most analysts are still going with Apple to hold 60-80% of the market this year. It is the blowhard, biased fandroid and wintard pundits and uninformed commenters who are trying to drum up support for their "iPad is to tablets as Mac is to Windows" marketshare BS. We all know it to be false but they keep on trying. iPad 2 selling by the bucketload won't change them - they'll just come up with an excuse as always and continue pedalling their rubbish.
  • Reply 37 of 39
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

There have been so few rumors this time around I don't know what to expect.

There were not many rumors last time, other than the big one that Apple was making a tablet, and look how it went.

Fact is, there are folks out there that will buy the latest and greatest iToy because it is the latest and greatest. That will be easily a third of the sales. Then there's the folks that waited because they still believe the old axiom about never being a first run product as it is sure to be a lemon.

Plus more and more businesses and schools. Now that all the major publishers are in the ibook store and even more of the textbook companies are going etext, schools are wanting ipads. But they can't just go out tomorrow and buy them. They have to write proposals, raise funds etc. So that puts them ready to buy in the summer. So that could boost numbers

As for the analysts, they are just guessing. Some will guess high because they want to put out the notion that Apple will keep the whole 90%. Others will guess lower so they don't look dumb if the market share falls, so they go somewhere between 50-75%. In the end they will all likely be wrong.

Quote:

Dual boot w/ Android!

Are you trying to kill Steve.

on the plus side, it would be a major unexpected coronary event and not the cancer that did it. So all the naysayers would be a little wrong

Quote:

With a Blu-ray drive!

I can see that ad now

"Hi, I'm an ipad" accompanied by this years Sport Illustrated Model of the Year

"Hi I'm a (whatever)" accompanied by Steve Ballmer in a bikini
  • Reply 38 of 39
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

6M in the first quarter?

So much for glass production problems limiting supply.

That 6.5M in the first quarter includes sales of the current iPad.
  • Reply 39 of 39
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

Apple needs to sell the crap out of the iPad 2 to shut up the pundits with their ridiculous banter about Android tablets taking huge amounts of market share from the iPad. If Apple can sell 6 million iPads to every 1 million Android tablets, that will keep Apple well in the lead in mind-share alone. Apple needs to get some cloud hook that consumers absolutely cannot resist and won't even consider buying an Android tablet. Every time a new Android tablet is introduced, Apple needs to counter with some offer that will knock the legs out from under that particular Android tablet. If Apple can do that for another year maybe rival Android vendors will realize that the tablet business isn't viable for them and most of them will just give up.

Maybe the iPad 2 will merely offer a processor speed-bump, added cameras and hopefully the same battery life as the iPad 1 in a thinner case. If the display quality is kept high, consumers should still take to it. I hope they're already starting to camp out in front of Apple retail stores. I'd like to see these Android tablet dominance rumors squashed as quickly as possible.

There are plenty of things that Apple could add to improve the device over time. However, I think the focus for the next release after iPad2 will be a high-res display - nothing would stand out more in a side-by-side comparison at Best Buy. People would look at the iPad's screen and say "I'll take that". And, with its ability to prepay, Apple could tie up most of the production so that competitors would not be able to offer a competing product.