Apple's iOS 4.3 has 2X faster JavaScript, AirPlay from iTunes to iPad & iPhone

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday showed off new features of iOS 4.3, including two times faster JavaScript performance in Safari, and the ability to wirelessly share and stream content from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iOS device.

?With more than 160 million iOS devices worldwide, including over 100 million iPhones, the growth of the iOS platform has been unprecedented,? said Steve Jobs, Apple?s CEO. ?iOS 4.3 adds even more features to the world?s most advanced mobile operating system, across three blockbuster devices -- iPad, iPhone and iPod touch -- providing an ecosystem that offers customers an incredibly rich experience and developers unlimited opportunities.?

iOS 4.3 will have the same Nitro JavaScript engine from Mac OS X, bringing performance twice as fast to the Mobile Safari browser on the iPad, iPhone and iPod touch.

Improved iTunes home sharing will also allow users to access all of their content directly over Wi-Fi. And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box. Sharing of photos over AirPlay can also use the built-in slide show options of iOS.

Apple also showed off a new version of Photo Booth for iPad and iPhone, which allows users to take photos and edit them. A demonstration showed that the software capable of accessing 9 live video streams at once with real-time effects.

"When the mood strikes, turn the camera on yourself, make some faces, and start shooting snapshot-style," Apple's promotional materials read. "Choose from artsy, wacky, and weird effects. Twist up your face, see yourself doubled, or look like you stepped into a comic book. Photo Booth is great for parties or just for kicks. And the fun keeps coming as you keep snapping."

Also shown off was FaceTime functionality with iOS 4.3. The addition of FaceTime will allow users to video chat with others on Apple's range of devices, including Macs, the iPhone 4, and the fourth-generation iPod touch.

"FaceTime on iPad 2 lets you drop in on your favorite people and see how they?re doing. And what they?re doing. And who they?re with," Apple said. "You could be anywhere, they could be anywhere. With a tap, your iPad 2 calls someone else?s iPad 2, iPhone 4, new iPod touch, or Mac over Wi-Fi."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    jpcgjpcg Posts: 114member
    I guess most of this is only for the iPad since the Verizon iPhone doesn't get this update...
  • Reply 2 of 49
    bcahill009bcahill009 Posts: 163member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box. Sharing of photos over AirPlay can also use the built-in slide show options of iOS.

I, for one, would love to hear more details about this. This was the most interesting point in the whole presentation and it was only given one sentence.
  • Reply 3 of 49
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Did they say when this update would be available?
  • Reply 4 of 49
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jabohn View Post

Did they say when this update would be available?

Multiple times during the presentation and on their website...

March 11. Same as the iPad 2.
  • Reply 5 of 49
    ewtheckmanewtheckman Posts: 309member
    Apple's web site says this update is for the iPad 1 & 2, iPod Touch 3 & 4, and iPhone 3GS and 4 (GSM only). It's really odd that the Verizon iPhone 4 is the only current device NOT getting iOS 4.3.

I was really hoping the update would fix the broken FaceTime settings (for those who updated from a Touch 4).
  • Reply 6 of 49
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hopefully the GM build will show up in dev accounts.
  • Reply 7 of 49
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member
    The Verizon software was just released in January. Verizon iPhones will get these new features soon enough.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

Apple's web site says this update is for the iPad 1 & 2, iPod Touch 3 & 4, and iPhone 3GS and 4 (GSM only). It's really odd that the Verizon iPhone 4 is the only current device NOT getting iOS 4.3.

I was really hoping the update would fix the broken FaceTime settings (for those who updated from a Touch 4).

I wouldn't draw any conclusions, it's probably right around the corner. CDMA probably adds additional development and QA overhead on this variant of the OS, and since the last tick was to Verizon, it's not surprising this tock is to AT&T.
  • Reply 9 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

And enhancements to AirPlay will allow applications and websites to stream over Wi-Fi to the Apple TV set top box.

I would have liked to see a demo of this. Does this mean an app can stream content to my TV via the new $99 Apple TV? Or if I can connect to a web site that displays HD video, I can stream that to my TV/AppleTV? And if so, if I buy a subscription to that video (say, to NHL live games) that I can then stream in HD via wifi to my HDTV...do I know have a way to ditch my cable cable TV box that comcast is raping me for?

Likes.
  • Reply 10 of 49
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ranger_one View Post

I wouldn't draw any conclusions, it's probably right around the corner. CDMA probably adds additional development and QA overhead on this variant of the OS, and since the last tick was to Verizon, it's not surprising this tock is to AT&T.

... and the Verizon iPhone already has one of the major features of iOS 4.3, mobile hotspot.
  • Reply 11 of 49
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Quote:

Apple on Wednesday showed off new features of iOS 4.3, including two times faster JavaScript performance in Safari, and the ability to wirelessly share and stream content from an iTunes library on a Mac or PC to an iOS device.

And oh BTW, about the tethering option in iOS4.3: any sign of pricing from our friends at AT&T? Last I saw it was $20/mo extra on an extended contract. That's a big No Thank You, but if they get it to a reasonable price and on a monthly option change (kind of like the plans for a 3G iPad) it sounds very nice.
  • Reply 12 of 49
    No mention about any improvements to notifications...
  • Reply 13 of 49
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EWTHeckman View Post

And the iPhone 3G is now excluded. It got iOS 4.2 but does not get the Safari speedups of 4.3 (I would not have complained if it had not gotten any of the new features, eg, mobile hotspot, if these require too much processing and battery power).
  • Reply 14 of 49
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

iOS 5, coming in summer/fall. I think it's a pretty great update for a point release.
  • Reply 15 of 49
    dagamer34dagamer34 Posts: 494member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shapesNforms View Post

iOS SDK events are more for developers than the press, plus the two events would compete with each other. While the iPad 2 event certainly had a lot of fluff, iOS SDK announcements usually last 1-2 hours because of the amount of stuff they talk about demoing to developers.

Plus, it's always nice to have an event where they can talk about how many iPads were sold! My guess is that we'll get an announcement end of March/beginning of April.
  • Reply 16 of 49
    jabohnjabohn Posts: 582member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My point was that the AppleInsider article I'm reading didn't mention it.
  • Reply 17 of 49
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

I would have liked to see a demo of this. Does this mean an app can stream content to my TV via the new $99 Apple TV? Or if I can connect to a web site that displays HD video, I can stream that to my TV/AppleTV? And if so, if I buy a subscription to that video (say, to NHL live games) that I can then stream in HD via wifi to my HDTV...do I know have a way to ditch my cable cable TV box that comcast is raping me for?

Likes.

I theory, yes, it will allow thing like MLB.tv and NHL.com to stream to an Apple TV, but I assume the maker of the app has to decide to put it in there so it's not a guarantee that it'll work.
  • Reply 18 of 49
    I'm not to knowledgeable on how a "mobile hotspot" works.

Will this cost additional money from if I want to use my iPhone4 for as a mobile hotspot for my ipad?

I have the original unlimited iphone plan from at&t.
  • Reply 19 of 49
    diddydiddy Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by golden_child View Post

I'm not to knowledgeable on how a "mobile hotspot" works.

Will this cost additional money from if I want to use my iPhone4 for as a mobile hotspot for my ipad?

I have the original unlimited iphone plan from at&t.

Yes you will need a tethering plan from your carrier - AT&T does not let you have a tethering plan with unlimited data.
  • Reply 20 of 49
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by diddy View Post

Yes you will need a tethering plan from your carrier - AT&T does not let you have a tethering plan with unlimited data.

he could always jailbreak it and get it for free