New iPad 2 dock revealed; Apple offers $100 refund to recent iPad buyers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post

Seriously?

While I wouldn't buy an iPad just for the cover, I think the new magnetic cover, which supposedly always fits perfectly due to the magnets, turns the iPad on and shuts it off, bends to become a stand and covers only the front so the elegance of the iPad physical design still stands out (although I thought one of the reasons to get a traditional case was to protect the back of the unit if it's dropped) demonstrates once again how much Apple pays attention to all the details way beyond what anyone else does. It's all those little details that keeps Apple ahead of everyone else (IMO). That's why when people talk only about the processor or memory or hard disk drives or flash drives or whatever, they completely miss the point.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    I talked to two different people at Apple. One told me the refund was only for resellers and the other didn't know what I was talking about and said neither did her supervisor. So...unfortunately, this is false information.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    I actually really wanted a keyboard dock, for the stability (less tippable) as well as the simplicity. Would have made a great sofa-side Internet station! But I never got an iPad 1, and now my iPad 2 looks like it won’t have the option.

In which case, my sofa-station will need the regular dock PLUS a wireless keyboard. (Less stable, no special iPad keys, more batteries... and a lot more cost.)

I think I’ll keep an eye open for third-party keyboard docks (or cases)!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by gifty826 View Post

I talked to two different people at Apple. One told me the refund was only for resellers and the other didn't know what I was talking about and said neither did her supervisor. So...unfortunately, this is false information.

Weird! But there’s always a chance of getting wacky info (or a wacky person) when talking to any company. Two people? Unlikely, but they seem to not have understood you. Try again and talk to someone else After all, you could always just return the old and buy again for $100 off. Same outcome, more hassle for all. (I’ll assume your story is not fiction.)
  • Reply 24 of 43
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Anybody want to buy an iPad 1 keyboard doc? It's frustrating enough to replace your iPad, but to have to replace your peripherals as well, that's just getting on my nerves.

Well if it's that "frustrating" then don't upgrade. No one is forcing you to do it. As cool as the iPad 2 is, I'm sticking with my original iPad for another year. I don't think the faster processor will make that much difference in my daily use, I'll never use the cameras and I'll get most of the rest of the functionality with iOS 4.3 (orientation lock, iMovie, GarageBand, etc.).

You could also buy the iPad 2 and NOT get a dock. Something tells me the original Dock will work just fine with the iPad 2. It just won't be as snug a fit.

Food for thought.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member
    Quote:

Or the people you spoke to weren't well informed.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleStud View Post

i think his point is that the option to return within 14 days is already standard, they're not doing anyone any extra favors. The $100 rebate isn't really much of a favor either, since I'm already entitled to return my $499 ipad then I can just buy another one for the new $399 price. The point of this whole thing is to simply clarify the options already available to customers.

Except that there is no "new $399 price."

How about we just stick with "This is a smart, consumer friendly move by Apple; they've learned from past experience that tech buyers need a little coddling when they make a purchase days before a new version comes out."
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yensid98 View Post

Or the people you spoke to weren't well informed.

Did you actually talk to someone and get the refund yourself?
  • Reply 28 of 43
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Quote:

Did you actually talk to someone and get the refund yourself?

Here’s what you need when you talk to them next:

http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Im....html#topic-17

This isn’t a new policy, it’s always been Apple policy for any price drops. Just make sure you get in before the 14-day deadline!

(Also, just to note, that is US-specific page.)

Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

Except that there is no "new $399 price."

How about we just stick with "This is a smart, consumer friendly move by Apple; they've learned from past experience that tech buyers need a little coddling when they make a purchase days before a new version comes out."

Yes, there currently is a new $399 price: the remaining iPad 1 models are on clearance from Apple, all for $100 less than before. (This has happened many times with outgoing Apple models.)

And that’s not the refurb price, either—which is even lower: refurb iPad 1’s start at $349. (And refurbs probably have some price protection too, I suppose.)

See:

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...clearance/ipad

Those are new, not refurb units, which people bought for $100 more recently. So now they can get the difference back.

(I do think Apple should give you more than 14 days to ASK for the rebate, even if the window for the price drop itself remains 14 days.)
  • Reply 29 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

The biggest reason I will be getting iPad 2 is for the magnetic cover. Is an amazing idea.

As usual Apple lead in even the simplest concepts let alone the complex ones ... and Android tablet makes furiously working on this right now I bet!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,731member
    Quote:

You obviously know really smart people and obviously they are correct and everyone else is wrong ... Oh wait a minute ...
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

As usual Apple lead in even the simplest concepts let alone the complex ones ... and Android tablet makes furiously working on this right now I bet!

I'm just not sure if I want the White or the Black. Love the way the white looks but I am not if it will distract from whats on the screen.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Guess the keyboard dock wasn't a hot item for iPads. Just as well. They'll make a lot more on selling docks and keyboards.

Smart Covers are amazing. I don't think I'd get out of the store with a new iPad and not grab a black leather smart cover, and the new av adapter.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Seriously?

Upset that someone can spend *their* money in a way you don't approve?
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Does anyone know whether or not the "mirror display" on a TV screen is only for iPad 2, or whether it will work on the current iPad.

With this functionality, there is absolutely no need to have both Apple TV and an iPad.

It works with iPhone 4, latest iPod Touch, and iPad 1 in 720p. IPad 2 does 1080p.

The downside of the functionality relative to Apple TV is that it needs a cord, and ties up the iPad and TV for 1 purpose. We have 2 iPads and Apple TV and the iPads are in high demand. For how we mostly use TV (kids), we'd rather not tie up an iPad and the TV at same time.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by seancasa View Post

It works with iPhone 4, latest iPod Touch, and iPad 1 in 720p. IPad 2 does 1080p.

The downside of the functionality relative to Apple TV is that it needs a cord, and ties up the iPad and TV for 1 purpose. We have 2 iPads and Apple TV and the iPads are in high demand. For how we mostly use TV (kids), we'd rather not tie up an iPad and the TV at same time.

Not from what I recall. Just go to the ipad page. Mirroring is ipad 2 only. Video out is as you described.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

Minus a restocking fee if you opened your iPad and plus the hassle. Also, engraved iPads can't be returned at all.

Apple will say it's because consumers love to "personalise their products" but i believe the real reason why apple offers free engraving is to reduce returns and sales on the second hand market.
  • Reply 37 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zoolook View Post

Does anyone know whether or not the "mirror display" on a TV screen is only for iPad 2, or whether it will work on the current iPad.

With this functionality, there is absolutely no need to have both Apple TV and an iPad.

Uh, no, sorry. You could "get away with" having just an iPad 2 and tethering to your TV (how about just tie it to the wall for permanent placement while you're at it).

But that has nothing to do with needing or not needing an AppleTV. Airplay is a tiny perk of everything that is AppleTV.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Apple will say it's because consumers love to "personalise their products" but i believe the real reason why apple offers free engraving is to reduce returns and sales on the second hand market.

From retailer's view, that's a good strategy I say. Just like body tattoo, you have to think long and hard on what you want to engrave the iDevices with. Rather than engrave (or tattooing in case of of your body parts) your gurlfriend's name, chose a more generic ones to minimise loss! Foster's Beer like it cool
  • Reply 39 of 43
    xsamplexxsamplex Posts: 214member
    Does Apple also say "Thanks, suckers!" when you get your hundred bucks for buying an instantly dated product a couple of weeks ago?
  • Reply 40 of 43
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post

Does Apple also say "Thanks, suckers!" when you get your hundred bucks for buying an instantly dated product a couple of weeks ago?

If you didn't know or have anyone to tell you that the iPad 2 was due out soon then you probably won't give a crap anyway and will thank them for the $100.