Walmart, Best Buy advertise availability of Apple's iPad 2

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
In addition to Apple's retail stores, Best Buy will sell the iPad 2 on its March 11 launch day, while Walmart has also advertised the second-generation tablet but has not confirmed a sale date.

On the "iPad and tablets" section of its website, retailer Best Buy this week began advertising the new iPad 2 and its magnetic Smart Cover. The ad reads "Coming Friday, March 11," suggesting that Best Buy will begin sales of the iPad 2 at the same 5 p.m. launch scheduled for Apple's retail stores.

Those who go to an Apple or Best Buy retail store on March 11 will get the first chance to get their hands on the iPad 2. Apple revealed on Wednesday that online sales of the iPad 2 will not begin until March 11, ensuring that those who want to get the iPad first will need to line up at a retail store next Friday.

In addition, America's largest retailer, Walmart, has also begun listing the iPad 2 in its online inventory. The unreleased product is listed as "Out of Stock," but also advertised as "Coming Soon."

Walmart's site does not make any mention of the March 11 launch date, and the retailer has not given any indication whether it will have the touchscreen tablet available at launch.

Best Buy was a launch partner with Apple for the first iPad when it went on sale in the U.S. last April. Walmart eventually joined the fray and began iPad sales in in mid-October of 2010.

Walmart could be joined by other sales channels, like carriers Verizon and AT&T or retailer Target, in potentially offering the iPad at launch or soon after. If that comes to be, it would be a much quicker expansion of distribution than with the first-generation iPad.

Earlier this week, NPD Vice President of Industry Analysis Stephen Baker said he believes that expanded distribution of the iPad 2 will help Apple find continued success with its touchscreen tablet in 2011. He suggested that the Cupertino, Calif., company even explore alternative partnerships with department and home stores like Kohl's or Bed Bath & Beyond.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    are all walmart retail locations going to carry it or just the premium super walmarts?
  • Reply 2 of 21
    icarbonicarbon Posts: 196member
    How does Bed Bath and Beyond fit with Apple's market strategy? is the ipad useful for preparing food or shaving?
  • Reply 3 of 21
    ufwaufwa Posts: 64member
    when will amazon be able to get in on this?

Sure B&M gives you instant gratification but getting to save on tax is worth waiting.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ufwa View Post

Sure B&M gives you instant gratification but getting to save on tax is worth waiting.

NEVER

Amazon chose NOT to carry iPad last year, simpy very intelligent* business decision, since it is head-to-head competitor with its own Kindle.

Personally, I think it is NONsense, since iPad is NOT competing with Kindle. Kindle is an e-reader, iPad is something else. I personally own basic Kindle, too which is very cheap anyways, and use to solely read.

iPad will NOT be offered on Amazon, BY Amazon. 3rd party would still offer it, but saving on taxes? Think again, as they price certainly cell them at $50-$150 premium over Apple.

So, don't wait, go to your local Apple Store, purchase, and enjoy
  • Reply 5 of 21
    tsadlertsadler Posts: 13member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iCarbon View Post

How does Bed Bath and Beyond fit with Apple's market strategy? is the ipad useful for preparing food or shaving?

It's in the beyond category!
  • Reply 6 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by webunlocked View Post

NEVERiPad will NOT be offered on Amazon, BY Amazon. 3rd party would still offer it, but saving on taxes? Think again, as they price certainly cell them at $50-$150 premium over Apple.

WTF are you talking about?
  • Reply 7 of 21
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,646member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

are all walmart retail locations going to carry it or just the premium super walmarts?

Sounds like and oxymoron to me.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    Is anybody able to explain the 17:00 bit? Is an 'Apple Tradition' or something?
  • Reply 9 of 21
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    Quote:

damn i missed that

i always have a stack of 20% off coupons from there and they even take the long expired ones. $400 for iPad 2 would be awesome
  • Reply 10 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

damn i missed that

i always have a stack of 20% off coupons from there and they even take the long expired ones. $400 for iPad 2 would be awesome

Holy shit I have a ton of those also.
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by speedxdesign View Post

WTF are you talking about?

This:

Originally Posted by ufwa

• Reply 12 of 21
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Mo' retailers = mo' money.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Edmund0Dantes View Post

Is anybody able to explain the 17:00 bit? Is an 'Apple Tradition' or something?

I wondered about that too. The only explanations I could come up with were (1) more time for the stores to get ready, and serve customers throughout the first part of the day, (2) give people with 9-5 jobs a fighting chance to get one, and/or (3) avoid overnight camping lines.

I really want one on launch day, but I haven't yet decided the best strategy. Does anyone here honestly think an Apple Store will have enough stock on launch day for everyone who wants it? Or will I be lining up at noon?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by evolvingmunki View Post

I wondered about that too. The only explanations I could come up with were (1) more time for the stores to get ready, and serve customers throughout the first part of the day, (2) give people with 9-5 jobs a fighting chance to get one, and/or (3) avoid overnight camping lines.

I really want one on launch day, but I haven't yet decided the best strategy. Does anyone here honestly think an Apple Store will have enough stock on launch day for everyone who wants it? Or will I be lining up at noon?

I am thinking that they will be in fairly good supply if Best Buy will have them at launch date and Walmart is starting to list it as well.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    hiimamachiimamac Posts: 584member
    Not sure how it works with Apple products but I think you get a 90 day return policy,

Could be wrong, I am not sure. I also know that if you open a touch from Target, I don't think you can bring it back, exchange for 90 maybe, but not a return. Have been told different things.

Actually, if 2 weeks is enough time, Apple is better now, as you could return it saying you don't like it.''Peace and Godspeed!!!
  • Reply 16 of 21
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:

Bwahahaha! Gotta love that observation!

Next in line will be iPad sales at Lowes and Menards right next to the outdoor furniture/barbecue displays:

Complement your outdoor lifestyle with an iPad so you can listen to music, view photographs, read your favorite newspaper, check the current outdoor weather! Comes with optional remote temperature sensor so your meat or poultry will be cooked to perfection!
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ecphorizer View Post

Bwahahaha! Gotta love that observation!

Next in line will be iPad sales at Lowes and Menards right next to the outdoor furniture/barbecue displays:

Complement your outdoor lifestyle with an iPad so you can listen to music, view photographs, read your favorite newspaper, check the current outdoor weather! Comes with optional remote temperature sensor so your meat or poultry will be cooked to perfection!

It does all the above apart from the temp sensor. Given the chance, they (indy/small retailers) all want to sell popular product such as iPad as a way to entice customer into buying their own or supplementary products if they market them carefully and strategically. It is all about psychology. Why else supermarkets that used to only sell groceries are now selling bedding, electronics and what not nowadays?
  • Reply 18 of 21
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lance60031 View Post

I am thinking that they will be in fairly good supply if Best Buy will have them at launch date and Walmart is starting to list it as well.

They are supposed to have 400-600k units available for the US launch. Last year, they sold 300k units the first day. I'd get there ASAP as I think they could unload every unit available over the forst weekend. And make sure you have a secondary location too.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by penchanted View Post

They are supposed to have 400-600k units available for the US launch. Last year, they sold 300k units the first day. I'd get there ASAP as I think they could unload every unit available over the forst weekend. And make sure you have a secondary location too.

Was the 300k from last yr including the pre-launch date orders via the apple website?
  • Reply 20 of 21
    penchantedpenchanted Posts: 1,070member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lance60031 View Post

Was the 300k from last yr including the pre-launch date orders via the apple website?

Yes it did.

Quote:

Apple Inc., trying to ignite demand for tablet-style computers with its iPad, said it sold more than 300,000 of the devices on the first day of their debut weekend.

The number includes preorders, sales at Apple stores and deliveries to retail partners on April 3, the company said today in a statement. Users downloaded more than 1 million iPad applications from Apple?s site and bought more than 250,000 electronic books from its online store during the first day.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/201...-update1-.html