Apple's MacBook Pros ship with Snow Leopard active SSD TRIM support

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
New MacBook Pro models are shipping with Mac OS X 10.6.6 (build 10J3210), which supplies TRIM support for bundled Apple Solid State Drives, enabling extended performance of the fast new devices via background maintenance.

AppleInsider previously reported that Mac OS X 10.7 Lion would incorporate support for the TRIM command, which helps the operating system coordinate the maintenance of unused memory cells on the new SSD devices, preserving long term performance.

However, we can now exclusively report that Apple has also added the feature to the revised build on the latest, Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pros that shipped earlier this week.

While they appear to run the same Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.6 version, the newer build (10J3210 versus 10J567, the newest build of Mac OS X 10.6.6 available for download from Software Update by other Macs) includes and automatically activates TRIM Support, as noted in System Profiler.

Apple will likely roll out support for the new feature in an upcoming new build of Snow Leopard. The feature reportedly only supports Apple-bundled SSD volumes, but this may change as well.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    while build 10J3210 gives trim support for the apple configured SSD's, it does does not provide trim support to 3 party SSD's. At least Trim Support is still missing for the intel 510 series.
  • Reply 2 of 3
    svnippsvnipp Posts: 430member
    I have an older Mac Pro that I recently tossed an SSD into for Windows 7 gaming, and it really screams. I was considering another SSD for the Mac side of the system, but will probably wait for Lion for that anyway.

We are also considering a Mac Air. Is there no TRIM support for the SSDs in these systems?
  • Reply 3 of 3
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by svnipp View Post

I have an older Mac Pro that I recently tossed an SSD into for Windows 7 gaming, and it really screams. I was considering another SSD for the Mac side of the system, but will probably wait for Lion for that anyway.

We are also considering a Mac Air. Is there no TRIM support for the SSDs in these systems?

Lion doesn't turn TRIM on for non-BTO TRIM capable devices either.