Apple rumored to ditch glass back for aluminum with iPhone 5

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 122
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by copeland View Post

But that is going to almost triple the weight in comparison to aluminum.

So a steel cover with 1/3 of the glasses thickness has still the same weight.

I think they still can save some weight but a lot less.

(Not sure I'm parsing your meaning so sorry if I'm repeating what you mean.)

Glass, steel or aluminum, the part would be optimized for the material and application. So weight would not be significantly different.

Glass was a (poor/silly/risky/over-bold?) design choice in the first place. The increased brittleness was a poor tradeoff for scratch resistance and bulk (IMO.)
  • Reply 122 of 122
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

(Not sure I'm parsing your meaning so sorry if I'm repeating what you mean.)

Glass, steel or aluminum, the part would be optimized for the material and application. So weight would not be significantly different.

Glass was a (poor/silly/risky/over-bold?) design choice in the first place. The increased brittleness was a poor tradeoff for scratch resistance and bulk (IMO.)

I agree. It's great conceptually, but in the real world I think they can do better. I'm all for Apple experimenting with new materials and hope they come up with something very cool for iP5. I need beauty and durability, with no worry about droppage/breakage. And something that feels great in the hand. Not sure why some of you dislike aluminum so much. Since Apple started using it, their designs have been light years ahead of the competition. Something tells me Apple has some really great stuff about to come out of their materials lab.