AT&T allows legacy unlimited data for iPad 2; Samsung won't delay Galaxy Tab 10.1

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dimitrir View Post

ipad 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running ios which is a full generation behind honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as motorola xoom and samsung galaxy are available.

if thats what u think wtf aew u doing here?????
  • Reply 22 of 53
    hunabkuhunabku Posts: 55member
    Quote:

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.

You are either a very bad troll or a stawmam or you are being sarcastic. But I can't resist - I sure hope you got a bunch of RAM in your awesome tablet to handle your next generation os. Oh and I'm sure the game developers would agree with you regarding how great the os is - its soooo next generation.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

That would require AT&T execs to have knowledge of the basics of economies of scale...basic business practices 101 fail...
  • Reply 24 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

In related news, AT&T also provides legacy crappy coverage for iPad customers, no matter when you signed up for your data plan.

Maybe you live in a crappy area? Ever think of that, because my iPad 3G Unlimited Data for ATT coverage is just fine where I live and travel among the several cities comprising it. \
  • Reply 25 of 53
    swingerjswingerj Posts: 21member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bitzandbitez View Post

if thats what u think wtf aew u doing here?????

Don't feed the trolls. Just ignore him. That is what I do.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

If you jailbreak your iPhone, eightzero, then you can tether unlimited data with MyWi from Cydia.

Of course, that results in breaking your contract, which could result in your being kicked off the network entirely, or at worst, being sued for breach of contract. These things do happen.
  • Reply 27 of 53
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:

iPAD 15 minutes of fame are over? Slim tablet running iOS which is a full generation behind Honeycomb, which was specifically designed for tablets is not going to sell well when superior alternatives such as Motorola Xoom and Samsung Galaxy are available.

Honeycomb specifically designed for tablets? 'Superior Alternatives' to iPad?!...

Honeycomb was just released by Google for tablets that are barely in production now because they no longer had their mole Eric Schmidt on Apple's BOD to know what the future holds for the computing/mobile/electronic world! Now that he is gone, Google had to race to catch up to what Apple releases because just like others, they can't lead the way, they have to be shown the way! And since Google lost that advantage, their specifically designed products are now only in the minds of Apple! Until Apple releases them, then Google and the others race to catch up...

It's a vicious circle.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Honeycomb specifically designed for tablets? 'Superior Alternatives' to iPad?!...

Honeycomb was just released by Google for tablets that are barely in production now because they no longer had their mole Eric Schmidt on Apple's BOD to know what the future holds for the computing/mobile/electronic world! Now that he is gone, Google had to race to catch up to what Apple releases because just like others, they can't lead the way, they have to be shown the way! And since Google lost that advantage, their specifically designed products are now only in the minds of Apple! Until Apple releases them, then Google and the others race to catch up...

It's a vicious circle.

segheAFSVC
  • Reply 29 of 53
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by regan View Post

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.

DataMan. Great app. I have been using it for a couple of month. Highly recommended if you are on a limited data plan or trying to find which plan is the best. Well worth the price.

Found out that The Daily alone consumed over 25 MBs a day. Best to use someone elses WiFi if you have a limited plan.

Macworld review: http://www.macworld.com/appguide/app...2&expand=false

TUAW review: http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/29/datam...for-data-caps/

PC World review: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscente...ata_usage.html
  • Reply 30 of 53
    Quote:

Just as long as I can transfer my unlimited 3G data plan from my iPad one to the first 4G iPad when it comes out down the road. Heh. Heh. Heh. :-p

I don't use 3G at home at all unless the cable goes out. Video looks HORRIBLE on 3G.

But I do use 3G in short bursts while riding the long island rail road into NYC or if I am in a cafe or somewhere in the city that is not within range of a free wifi hotspot.

Is there a way on the iPad to check how many gigs of data you've used up so far in the month? I've went into the settings icon and looked under the ATT cell data, but there was no button to check that.

The best you can do is to go to the general settings and look at "usage". It gives you a running total. I'm not sure if that's just month to month or from the beginning, as I don't check it, so I don't know how much I'm using. But you can reset it at any time, so you can do this at the beginning of the month if it doesn't do this already.
  • Reply 31 of 53
    reganregan Posts: 474member
    Question about the ATT tethering with the iPad. I don't currently have an iPhone. Plan on waiting for the iPhone 5. But I do currently have a first gene 3G iPad with an unlimited data plan from ATT. I use the 3G, but not ALOT. But still, it's nice to have the unlimited plan for now.

However, i was curious about the tethering option once I do get an iPhone. As I understand, it's a $20 additional monthly fee on top of your regular iPhone plan. But can you start and stop it at anytime like the 3G iPad data plan? Or are you locked into a contract and have to pay for it every month for a year or two?

Also, how much data can be streamed for this $20 fee before you are overcharged? And how much per MB of data are you charged when it does?

Thanks
  • Reply 32 of 53
    [QUOTE=AppleInsider;1823790]AT&T revealed that it will continue to honor unlimited month-to-month 3G data plans for grandfathered cu

Today, 01:57 PM\t #19

bugsnw

• Reply 33 of 53
    Quote:

Question about the ATT tethering with the iPad. I don't currently have an iPhone. Plan on waiting for the iPhone 5. But I do currently have a first gene 3G iPad with an unlimited data plan from ATT. I use the 3G, but not ALOT. But still, it's nice to have the unlimited plan for now.

However, i was curious about the tethering option once I do get an iPhone. As I understand, it's a $20 additional monthly fee on top of your regular iPhone plan. But can you start and stop it at anytime like the 3G iPad data plan? Or are you locked into a contract and have to pay for it every month for a year or two?

Also, how much data can be streamed for this $20 fee before you are overcharged? And how much per MB of data are you charged when it does?

Thanks

That's something people here will have to go to AT&T's site and look up. Why don't you do that and report back?
  • Reply 34 of 53
    richysrichys Posts: 160member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

Nice. Samsung is going to start selling a product that its own executives have stated is inadequate.

That's okay. They've already been selling a tablet with an OS that was described by the OS maker's executives as inadequate.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I hate to see tiered pricing plans. It should just be $20 unlimited with a warning for people who obviously abuse it. Those who decide to download every movie known to man can be surcharged and the rest of us can go about enjoying our meager usage.

If it were $10-$20 per month, a lot of people would just activate it and let it roll over. At $30 or more a month, most of us are going to activate it as-needed.

They'd make more revenue by pricing it lower.

I do understand why they might be reluctant to offer tethering on an unlimited plan. But there is a technological solution: limit the amount of data through the tether. Make it $20/month for 2GB of tethered data. Or even just allow a user ("customer?") switch on a monthly basis from an unlimited plan to a limited plan with tether.

Don't want to dork around with jailbreaking. Isn't really all that important.
  • Reply 36 of 53
    ecphorizerecphorizer Posts: 533member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SwingerJ View Post

Don't feed the trolls. Just ignore him. That is what I do.

Or, you can go to the top of the page and select User CP, then under Settings and Options, select Edit Ignore List and add his nic to your ignore list. A hidden bonus is if you are added to five or more ignore lists, you get notified that people are ignoring you.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    chronsterchronster Posts: 1,894member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichyS View Post

That's okay. They've already been selling a tablet with an OS that was described by the OS maker's executives as inadequate.

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?
  • Reply 38 of 53
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

It's better to proclaim every product you make to be revolutionary and let people find out they don't like it, right?

Huh? What are you inferring?
  • Reply 39 of 53
    gumguygumguy Posts: 27member
    I actually get much better data "reception" on my iPad then with my iPhone so I will likely keep the grandfathered unlimited plan for the iPad 2. When I spoke with ATT, they indicated that it will simply take a phone call to 800-331-0500 (iPad Cust. service), give them the Hardware information of the old a new devices and they will switch it for you RATHER than the mistake of swapping out sim cards. Customer support was very informative and helpful when I spoke to them. Maybe it was because it was a Sunday? Hope this helps.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    roboduderobodude Posts: 273member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chronster View Post

Maybe, unless you're this guy.