Firefox (3.6.15) search engine only 1 'choice'?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Can't find a way in Firefox 3.6.15 to change the preset search engine – in the top right of the browser window – from Bing to Google Search, or Yahoo Search (let alone to my fav: ixquick). In Safari's Preferences you can at least choose either Google, Yahoo, or Bing. But not in Firefox 3.6.15, as far as I can see.



Or am I missing something?

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 7
    Well, apparently not.



    So it looks like Firefox sold out to Micro$oft.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    jlljll Posts: 2,709member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    Can't find a way in Firefox 3.6.15 to change the preset search engine ? in the top right of the browser window ? from Bing to Google Search, or Yahoo Search (let alone to my fav: ixquick). In Safari's Preferences you can at least choose either Google, Yahoo, or Bing. But not in Firefox 3.6.15, as far as I can see.



    Or am I missing something?



    In my 3.6.15 there is a Manage Search Engines? item at the bottom of the list.
  • Reply 3 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bactalitunc View Post


    This only proved that Bing is doing well to be more competitive. They continuously doing more and more improvement in order to improve their search engine popularity ranking. Imagine, yahoo was down to #3 spot that easy.



    In my installation of Firefox 3.6.15, the search engines are listed in the following order:
    1. Google

    2. Yahoo

    3. Amazon.com

    4. Answers.com

    5. Creative Commons

    6. The Free Dictionary

    7. Webster

    8. Wikipedia (EN)

    9. eBay

    10. Wikipedia (en)

    BING is not even listed. I have the ability to add search engines that are not listed and the ability delete those that are listed. I am in no way chained to BING.



    What am I doing wrong?
  • Reply 4 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JLL View Post


    In my 3.6.15 there is a Manage Search Engines? item at the bottom of the list.



    At the bottom of what list? I don't see a 'Manage Search Engines' item in the Preferences of 3.6.15...
  • Reply 5 of 7
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    At the bottom of what list? I don't see a 'Manage Search Engines' item in the Preferences of 3.6.15...



    Look more closely.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    I even put my glasses on for a change. Still no 'Manage Search Engines'.

    Would you care to post a screenshot?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rokcet Scientist View Post


    I even put my glasses on for a change. Still no 'Manage Search Engines'.

    Would you care to post a screenshot?



    Never mind. Found it. But NOT in the preferences!



Sign In or Register to comment.