Apple releases iOS 4.3 with faster JavaScript, support for AirPlay in apps

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 93
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yuniverse View Post

Well, my iPhone 4 was just upgraded to 4.3 from 4.2.1 and I don't have the jestures. \

It is an iPad feature. The new gestures are not for the iPhone. Beside, you will need to enable the device for development to enable the new gestures on the iPad. From Apple developers website:

Quote:

This feature is only available for an iPad that has been set to "Use For Development" in Xcode.

• Reply 82 of 93
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

iOS 4.3 contains all the prores codecs -- I wonder why -- there is nothing [currently] running on iOS that uses prores codecs.

-- the next release of Final Cut for the Mac could support the iPad

-- this, also, could allow the iPad 2 to be used as a touch control surface for Final Cut apps running on the Mac

Would not surprise me if this came about, though it would still be amazing. And the presence of prores support in 4.3 may tip me towards the 64gb model, as I was considering the 32...
  • Reply 83 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sennen View Post

Would not surprise me if this came about, though it would still be amazing. And the presence of prores support in 4.3 may tip me towards the 64gb model, as I was considering the 32...

Yeah.... I go a little crazy imagining what a touch interface could for the pro apps -- the iPad iMovie and GarageBand merely scratch the surface...

For those who prefer node-based editing, AFAIK, Apple still has the capability of using the Shake UI or the QC UI....

There is just so, so much potential for a touch UI for the Pro apps.
  • Reply 84 of 93
    I upgraded my iphone 4 to 4.3 last night. Now I have a $600.00 paperweight as it is stuck in what they call the "recovery mode". Thank you Apple.
  • Reply 85 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprybry View Post

I upgraded my iphone 4 to 4.3 last night. Now I have a $600.00 paperweight as it is stuck in what they call the "recovery mode". Thank you Apple.

You should be able to power off/on reset the iP4 by holding the home and power buttons.

Then retry the update through iTunes.
  • Reply 86 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprybry View Post

It is impossible to brick an iPhone not running a version of 1.x. Try it again.
  • Reply 87 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The iOS 4.3 update is compatible with the iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, first-generation iPad, iPad 2, and the third- and fourth-generation iPod touch. Users will need iTunes 10.2.1, released by Apple on Tuesday, to sync and update their mobile device.

Today I upgraded my fourth generation iPod touch to iOS 4.3 by using iTunes 10.2.0.34 so I guess iOS 4.3 syncs with previous version of iTunes too.

• Reply 88 of 93
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

You should be able to power off/on reset the iP4 by holding the home and power buttons.

Then retry the update through iTunes.

My iphone is not recongnized as an iphone when plugged into my PC. Apple Care walked me through trying several things to get it to work, but he told me I will have to go into the apple store to get it fixed after trying a few things. The itunes logo and and a photo of a USB cord was the only thing that would display on the screen. Anyway, went into store and they re-loaded 4.3 only now I will have to get all my apps/music and setting back, hope that goes well. My wife has an iphone, my 2 kids have touches, I hope this is not a normal occurance with the upgrade.

The Genious at the Genious bar wanted to blame "too many people" downloading at that time however I watched the install process and it downloaded fine, verified download and was in the process of installing when it wigged out. Maybe it still does downloading during the install process, but that does not make much sense.
  • Reply 89 of 93
    Is anyone else noticing that their battery drains precipitously fast since they installed 4.3? I'm not using any of the new features (personal hotspot for example) that would account for any extra power usage, but my battery seems to be going down about twice as fast as with 4.2.1.
  • Reply 90 of 93
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mario View Post

Are you saying these gestures are in iOS 4.3? I know they were in the betas, but I thought they removed them from the release version?

4 and five finger multi-touch are not in 4.3
  • Reply 91 of 93
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by halocline View Post

Is anyone else noticing that their battery drains precipitously fast since they installed 4.3? I'm not using any of the new features (personal hotspot for example) that would account for any extra power usage, but my battery seems to be going down about twice as fast as with 4.2.1.

I'm noticing that on my iPad, yes.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

4 and five finger multi-touch are not in 4.3

Yes, they are. They're simply not enabled unless you're a developer.
  • Reply 92 of 93
    Just a quick tip, I tried to set up AirPlay to work on an idepedant Wirless network as I use a USB wireless booster for Internet, the iPad I used is wirelss only so it would not work as I assume that the iPad has to verify your apple id and password before playing purchased content. Then just goofing of I turned on sharing for my Internet, something I regularly do for the iPad to get Internet, and AirPlay works over the shared connection. Have tried this in the past and usually the iPad treats the MacBook as a router and can't share anything else. Just a tip for those out there that might be in a similar predicament.
  • Reply 93 of 93
    I upgraded my Touch 4 before going to sleep last night.

iTunes and the upgrade process hung at the reboot stage. 12 hours later they were still hung, so it's not a question of "just wait for it to work".

I had to force quit iTunes. Then my iPod went into recovery mode.

I had to choose restore to get my iPod back. I chose "restore from backup", but guess what -- that failed, too. I lost everything. Had to resync everything. All folders -- GONE. And when you have 1000 apps in iTunes, that's a hell of a lot of work to do to get things back how they were... I'm in progress now, and it'll probably end up taking me about 6 hours of work, after about three hours of re syncing 64GB.

I'm still not sure about the application data and settings... a bit worried I will lose every game progress and every application setting.