Microsoft complains font is too small on Apple "App Store" trademark brief

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Microsoft has filed a motion to strike Apple's latest legal brief because the font is too small in a dispute over the iPhone maker's application to trademark the term "App Store."

According to a motion filed earlier this week, Microsoft has requested that a court brief recently filed by Apple be dismissed because of length and font size, GeekWire reports. At 31 pages, Apple's brief exceeds the 25 page limit. Microsoft also claims the brief does not meet the minimum 11 point font size.

In the motion, Microsoft asked for Apple's response brief to be stricken and for the Cupertino, Calif., company to refile a brief "that complies with the rules and does not add any new matter or arguments."

Microsoft may be looking to buy more time for its countering brief, as the motion requests the briefing schedule be suspended while Apple prepares its corrected response brief.

At issue is whether Apple has the right to trademark the term "App Store." Apple filed for the trademark in 2008 after the launch of the iPhone App Store. In January of this year, a Microsoft filing surfaced revealing that the Redmond, Wash., software giant had opposed Apple's trademark application on the grounds that the term was too generic.

"'App' is a common generic name for the goods offered at Apple?s store, as shown in dictionary definitions and by widespread use by Apple and others," Microsoft wrote in its request for summary judgment. "'Store' is generic for the 'retail store services' for which Apple seeks registration, and indeed, Apple refers to its 'App Store' as a store."

Apple responded earlier this month with the brief in question, arguing that the term "App Store" is no more generic than Microsoft's "Windows" trademark.

"Having itself faced a decades-long genericness challenge to its claimed WINDOWS mark, Microsoft should be well aware that the focus in evaluating genericness is on the mark as a whole and requires a fact-intensive assessment of the primary significance of the term to a substantial majority of the relevant public," Apple wrote in the brief.

The case will be decided by U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's Trademark Trial and Appeal Board.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    Ugh! Whenever you need the "services" of an attorney, you are already screwed! Too many attorneys!
  • Reply 2 of 71
    patranuspatranus Posts: 366member
    .lol.
  • Reply 3 of 71
    bugsnwbugsnw Posts: 717member
    App Store is probably too generic. So is Windows, but MS got their trademark.

Interesting legal debate, but doesn't affect Apple much either way.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    smiles77smiles77 Posts: 668member
    okay, I'm not even going to touch this issue except to say "wow"...
  • Reply 5 of 71
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

App Store is probably too generic. So is Windows, but MS got their trademark.

Interesting legal debate, but doesn't affect Apple much either way.

Tend to agree, it's not all that important. If Apple can win it though, it will be a constant irritation for the competition to have to avoid using the term 'app store' whenever they refer to...app stores...and will remind customers from time to time that Apple were the trailblazers in this.

I can't help but feel if MS had come up with the idea first (and why the hell didn't they will 20 years of IT dominance?) it would have been called the 'Program Store', as I cannot ever recall MS using the term 'app'.

It's does smack of pettiness somehow though. Even so, it'll be interesting to see how it works itself out. I'm just glad I'm not paying the legal fees! (I like to think the staggering £500 profit Apple made on my MacBook Pro went to building the New Stanford Hospital )
  • Reply 6 of 71
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    You can't trademark the name "Grocery Store" or "Department Store."

You shouldn't be able to trademark the name "App store."

Might as well fight ridiculousness with ridiculousness. Go Microsoft.

Edit: Can I legally change my name to App Store?

How 'bout App L. Store?
  • Reply 7 of 71
    prof. peabodyprof. peabody Posts: 2,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

Might as well fight rediculousness with rediculousness. Go Microsoft.

This is not the same thing as your examples for dozens of reasons that you're obviously not aware of. You clearly don't even know the history of the term, who used it first, when it was in general use and for what reasons.

Why comment on stuff you know nothing about?
  • Reply 8 of 71
    aestivalaestival Posts: 75member
    Microsoft's lawyers make an excellent point about excessive legal paperwork, though it's weakened somewhat by the fact that Microsofts lawyers (more paperwork) felt compelled to file their motion (still more paperwork) to buy more time for their countering brief (way more paperwork).

One things for sure -- many lawyers are making piles of money off all of this.
  • Reply 9 of 71
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:

Not now you certainly can't. But if you had the foresight to do it back when there were no other grocery or department stores (by that name) you probably could have.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    eulereuler Posts: 81member
    Apple will comply with MS's request.

They will just put it on a bigger sheet of paper! Lol
  • Reply 11 of 71
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Just the idea of a required font size and number of pages for legal briefs is a comic concept. I wonder, do they also have one for font style, leading and tracking, margins, headers and footers?
  • Reply 12 of 71
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    If MS thinks that it can trademark "Windows", then Apple can trademark "App Store".

There are other names that the other companies can use for their stores.

As an example, I suggest "Malware Store" for Google's Android.

• Reply 13 of 71
    frugalityfrugality Posts: 410member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

This is not the same thing as your examples for dozens of reasons that you're obviously not aware of. You clearly don't even know the history of the term, who used it first, when it was in general use and for what reasons.

I'm just talking abut common sense, Dr. Peabrain. 'First use' doesn't matter if the term is too generic to be trademarked.
  • Reply 14 of 71
    Quote:

How 'bout App L. Store?

Hmm, I can see both sides of the issue. Yes, an "app" is a program. It wasn't a layman term until the past 2-3 years though. I would venture that only programmers would know it as such before recently. 4 years ago, if someone said they had an app, I'd say, "College app? Job app?..."

American Apparel owns a trademark on its name, even though it just means "American clothes". They can't prevent people from saying, "I like American apparel better than French apparel". But if someone started a clothing company called "American apparel", you'd bet they'd have a case.

If I were the judge, I'd allow MS and other companies to use the term "app store" generically. Like "our app store is better than Apple's." But I would not allow them to use it as the title of their store, e.g. "Microsoft App Store".
  • Reply 15 of 71
    I stop reading after the first paragraph. And laugh hysterically. Out loud. Font size, WTF?

Joke? Desperate? Too much money? Seriously....
  • Reply 16 of 71
    milkmagemilkmage Posts: 152member
    Quote:

How 'bout App L. Store?

OMG. I have windows in my walls so I can see what's going on outside. Better call my lawyer.
  • Reply 17 of 71
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Apparently, the US Senate is working on changes to patent law. Maybe things will get better.
  • Reply 18 of 71
    gotwakegotwake Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post

Because s/he is on the internet. It's the only place a 16 year old working at McDonald's can pretend to have knowledge.
  • Reply 19 of 71
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Not now you certainly can't. But if you had the foresight to do it back when there were no other grocery or department stores (by that name) you probably could have.

Quite right. For that matter, the first Supermarket probably should have trademarked that term. All the other big markets would have had to call themselves 'big markets', and would have always sounded a notch below.
  • Reply 20 of 71
    dualiedualie Posts: 334member
    I definitely think Microsoft has a point. And if Apple didn't follow the rules in its brief then it really should know better than to try and pull a fast one.