Live teardown of Apple's iPad 2 currently underway

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

It is as "deceptive" as Verizon telling America that they got x times larger 3G coverage than AT&T. So what if those 3G territories have more cows than humans.

And that they counted 1xRTT with speeds slower than AT&T?s EDGE as ?3G? since it fell under CDMA2000. AT&T were fools not to exploit that fact.
  • Reply 62 of 68
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bcahill009 View Post

Appleinsider: "iFixit gave Apple's just-released iPad 2 a repairability score of 6 out of 10 after completing its teardown on Friday."

iPad 2 Repairability Score - 4 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-...eardown/5071/4

pardon me for asking, but if a sealed system with one integrated circuit board and no interchangeable parts attached to a screen and battery that are also sealed is a 6 out of 10 on repair-ability, what the hell is a 1????
  • Reply 63 of 68
    rkprorkpro Posts: 28member
    No clips, the glass is glued to the body, and they had to use a heatgun to remove the glass.

Hmm... Could the glass fall out if you leave the iPad out in the sun? Or leave it in your car on a sunny day? Especially if you have the black iPad, or the black leather cover.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RKpro View Post

No clips, the glass is glued to the body, and they had to use a heatgun to remove the glass.

Hmm... Could the glass fall out if you leave the iPad out in the sun? Or leave it in your car on a sunny day? Especially if you have the black iPad, or the black leather cover.

Have you ever heard of this happening with the iPod touch? No, didn't think so. It's constructed in the same way.
  • Reply 65 of 68
    rybryb Posts: 56member
    Quote:

What facts are those? It is a combination of an under-reported battery size, task-switching instead of real multi-tasking, no flash, and 720p video decoding.

If the ipad 2 can play 10 hours of 720p video and some other tablet can play only 8 hours of 1080p video --- which one is better? It takes more than twice the CPU power to decode 1080p video.

So here we go second guessing Apple. Can we agree that any CE product is a compromise? We can buy Apple's set of compromises or we can buy another company's product. If you don't think Apple chose the right path buy another product. If you just think that Apple is disingenuous, and your values tell you that is wrong, again, don't buy from them. From what I've seen, I think Apple is as good or better than other companies when it comes to meeting their obligations to consumers.
  • Reply 66 of 68
    Yep. A still taken by the iPad 2 is not very good. Is it the camera hardware or the software? So far, I haven't seen a confirmation of the back camera specs.

I was playing with a store model of iPad 2 and noticed how sharp the live image from the back camera was. When I snapped a shot and reviewed the result, the quality of the snapshot was far less than compared with the live-action.

Could this mean that a software update might better render the back camera images?
  • Reply 67 of 68
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

What facts are those? It is a combination of an under-reported battery size, task-switching instead of real multi-tasking, no flash, and 720p video decoding.

If the ipad 2 can play 10 hours of 720p video and some other tablet can play only 8 hours of 1080p video --- which one is better? It takes more than twice the CPU power to decode 1080p video.

The battery size is NOT underreported. You're imagining this.

The iPad does do 'real' multitasking, but within reasonable boundaries. Apps can run for a certain amount of time in the background after they are closed in order to finish their tasks. The phone listens for cell signals, triggers alarms, receives push notifications etc. etc. Apple do not let 3rd parties produce persistent background apps because it kills battery life, gives the user more to manage, and decreases security. You know all this.

Again, THERE IS NO MOBILE VERSION OF ADOBE FLASH. If I capitalise things, will you actually read them?

Apple never claim the iPad decodes video larger than 720p, so what is your problem there?

You're just being outright silly and it's becoming annoying.

Quote:

'Your argument is completely pointless. Who cares how they do it, they give you 10 hours of battery life in a device waaaay thinner than the competition. If it's just a bigger battery then why can't the competition match this?'

Much thinner glass and plenty of glue --- thinner comes at a price.

You keep flying off on tangents! This user was making a valid point, countering your original point, and you go off on one about compromises relating to thinness? Even so, despite this compromise, the iPad 2 offers nearly the same battery life as last year's model with more powerful components and less space! The competition can't touch it for thinness OR battery life. Your argument is utterly baseless.

Quote:

Except that Apple talk "mine is bigger than yours" when it suits them --- like 9x GPU power.

9x the graphics capability of THEIR OWN previous product!!

Quote:

If you don't believe my argument that they under-reported the original ipad's battery capacity --- then you got a 5% larger battery in the ipad2 with Mossberg saying that he got more than a hour less in battery life than the original ipad.

What does that even mean? You literally make no sense at all. The battery is bigger, the device is more powerful, the device lasts a shorter time on battery. Logical conclusion: The increase in power consumption of the device is greater than the increase in battery capacity.

How is this so difficult for you?

Quote:

There is no high power efficiency --- it's a massive under-reported battery capacity, with task-switching, no flash and 720p video decoding. Much harder for RIM to give you any sort of decent battery life with desktop multitasking, flash and 1080p video decoding.

The battery lasts 10 hours. It lasts 10 hours. 600 minutes. 36000 seconds.

That is all Apple claim.

The competition cannot match this.

The competition ship larger devices. They can therefore put larger batteries in their devices, yet they cannot match the iPad.

Task-switching makes perfect sense to any sensible user.

***THERE IS NO MOBILE VERSION OF ADOBE FLASH***

***ASK MOTOROLA***

Sorry to shout but I've said this more than once and you don't take it in.

Apple and Dell both use WHrs commonly as a unit when talking about their batteries. HP, Toshiba and Acer do not even give any more information than the number of cells in the battery, utterly meaningless though that is.

You claimed confidently that Apple was hiding something by using WHrs.

You were wrong.

You were misleading to other readers of the forums in this regard.

I hope this is sufficiently broken down for you. Those are the facts that you were accused by the reader of not addressing. (see first sentence of first quote)

Please do not leave another comment unless you are actually willing to address those facts.

I apologise to other readers for losing my rag, but I cannot stand such a brazen lack of common sense and logic. Nobody should have their accomplishments slurred without any foundation.

[/logic injection.]
  • Reply 68 of 68
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    iFixit still hasn’t made mention of the magnets or the magneto-sensor in the iPad 2.

Remember when the trolls said the display/touch sensor was nothing special, that is was just an light sensor. Remember when the sensible people said that doesn’t make sense because if you grip the border or put against your body in the wrong way it will disable the touch sensor and turn off the display, thus ruining the “hold it anyw way you wish” maxim if you had to avoid an area(s) to hold it.

I do, and this thing is brilliant. It’s the magneto-sensor (as assumed) and it seems to be just below the volume button, but on the front rim of the device. You can see this sensor and board surrounded by aluminium on the iFixit teardown. They don’t look to have removed this component at all.