Survey says 70% of first iPad 2 buyers own original iPad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DennisB View Post

I don't think it would be importatnt to know where these old ipads are headed. They went out apple's door, out of warranty, apple could care less.

I think you are missing an important aspect of this. If millions of iPads are "handed down" to people who might not have purchased one at full price, then when the iPad 3 comes out many of these new owners are going to be invested in iApps and the ecosystem. Even if the Xoom2 or the Tab9.7 is spectacular, they will have incentive to stay with Apple.

Quote:

I know, being recycled would expand user base.

I think just tossing this out underestimates it's importance. Sure, Apple makes most of it's money from new hardware sales, so user base size isn't the big thing alone. But if you are providing an excellent product and experience, the impact on future hardware sales could be significant!
  • Reply 22 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by g5man View Post

My only advice is sell your dog and mortgage your house and buy aapl stock ASAP. This stock will be 600 within 12 months.

You go first.

Analyst: AAPL $600 in 18 Months (12/2007)

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic..._in_18_Months/
  • Reply 23 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Malokata View Post

The only thing shocking about this article is that 30% of the Palo Alto, California residents waiting in line at an Apple store didn't already own iPads.

In other news, a survey of 50 New Yorkers waiting for the subway revealed that 100% had previously taken public transit.

• Reply 24 of 38
    i feel guilty talking about how many people buy the ipad if they already HAVE one ipad, while thousands of people are killed in japan and a nuclear catastrophe takes place. that's why i have made this video clip. if you like it, please forward it to your friends:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJwwv4NWv1E
  • Reply 25 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

i feel guilty talking about how many people buy the ipad if they already HAVE one ipad, while thousands of people are killed in japan and a nuclear catastrophe takes place. that's why i have made this video clip. if you like it, please forward it to your friends:

I'd feel guilty pushing my video clip...
  • Reply 26 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wheeles View Post

You are forgetting the fanboys that never buy a 1st generation model, but will be first in line for the second generation. These are exactly the people that this model is targeted at. For me, iPad3 will be the one to get.

Every new model is the first generation of that model. There is so much changing in each model that there is no sense to waiting for the next model. If you need or want the device then get it, don?t deprive yourself of an item for 3 years because you think it won?t work right until some magical time has passed. These aren?t new cars that keep the same design with only very minor tweaks for 5 year cycles.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    Quote:

[self promoting video link removed]

You do realize those things have nothing to do with each other right? There is no reason to punish yourself because something bad is happening.
  • Reply 28 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mlayer View Post

Agreed. It's Steve's backyard store, although unlike last year he didn't show - not that he was supposed to. If there ever was an Apple fanboy Mecca, the Paly store might be it. I even saw a 9-year-old kid in a MacFan t-shirt get interviewed by a Chinese television network about the iPad. After I got my fill I went to local bar to meet some friends. Several regulars were going back and forth between the bar and the Apple Store to see if the lines got shorter.

Which bar was that? Henry's? I find it mildly amusing that bar regulars would be going back and forth to check the line length. I'd just stay in the bar and worry about my new gadget another day!
  • Reply 29 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Palo Alto Apple Store has historically been a busy site on product launch days, as it is located just 20 minutes from Apple's campus in Cupertino.

I have no idea where these misquoteers come up with the "20 minutes" figure. Heck, it takes at least 10 minutes to get just from the store to 101. Then up 85 is always a mess. These people have obviously not tried driving that route except perhaps 3:00AM.
  • Reply 30 of 38
    Quote:

Thanks Neil. That's a moving video. I'd call it great, but under the circumstances...
  • Reply 31 of 38
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    It amazes me to find comments that only fanbois are interested in the iPads.

I wonder whether these envious individuals realize that the halo effect of the iPhones and iPods is gathering strength in waking up the many zombies in windoze world.

Btw who needs a pc to surf the net when an ipad can do the job just as well.
  • Reply 32 of 38
    g5mang5man Posts: 91member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sippincider View Post

You go first.

Analyst: AAPL $600 in 18 Months (12/2007)

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/artic..._in_18_Months/

Already did. Lost a bunch in 2008, but kept buying back from 90 and I will be in great shape by 600, 1000, 2000. One just rides these sell offs out and 10 years later they retire with plenty of money in the bank.

If you follow Apple's success after the iPod, iPhone, and now iPad, we bigger and bigger lines, it becomes obvious this company is the investment opportunity of a life time.

The lines yesterday is further proof that we have reached a tipping point. Anything cool Apple releases from now on will add to their growth and healthy profits.
  • Reply 33 of 38
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

It amazes me to find comments that only fanbois are interested in the iPads.

It should _not_ amaze you to find comments correctly summarizing the unsurprising fact that the vast majority of people waiting hours in line to purchase a $500 toy at the first possible moment of availability are indeed "fanbois". I'm with the previous poster who said the only surprising aspect of this report is that 30% of people in a Bay Area Apple Store line on a launch day don't already have the previous generation of the product they're wasting their day for.
  • Reply 34 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That's just pathetic. Not just the waiting in line all day, but waiting in line with an iPad, to buy an iPad 2.

To each his own, but I stayed home quite comfortably, playing with my iPad and my infant son, and was quite happy to be no where near an Apple store.

Although I walked away without an iPad in hand, I was more than delighted to see a huge line full of very happy looking iPad customers. It's only good news all 'round.
  • Reply 35 of 38
    Gene Munster's folks interviewed 236 customers in line for the iPad 2 and got exactly the opposite results: 70% were first-time iPad buyers.
  • Reply 36 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gslusher View Post

Gene Munster's folks interviewed 236 customers in line for the iPad 2 and got exactly the opposite results: 70% were first-time iPad buyers.

Wait until tomorrow... when these analysts will insist that every Apple Store customer has "no idea" what they are doing at the Apple Store, and they don't have a clue why they just bought 2 iPads.
  • Reply 37 of 38
    I almost bought it. Then I got a second of lucidity and decided not to. Why?

A new iPad will come out in very little time and will render the currend version useless. It doesnt even have a camera for christs sake
  • Reply 38 of 38
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by forcatalogsss View Post

I almost bought it. Then I got a second of lucidity and decided not to. Why?

A new iPad will come out in very little time and will render the currend version useless. It doesnt even have a camera for christs sake

You?re intelligent thought was that anyone who wants to use an iPad for a year knowing that another model will be out a year later isn?t thinking clearly? That means that you?ll never buy any Apple mobile device as they are all updated annually.