Went to bestbuy to check out the iPad 2.....gonna wait till iPad 3

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
The temptation to go after work Friday and stand on some long line like an idiot was really quite strong.

But I managed to control myself.



Instead I waited and watched the tech blogs till ifixit or ifixyouri took apart an iPad 2. I wanted someone to determine whether the iPad 2 had 512mb of ram and if the A5 cpu was indeed based on a dual core ARM Cortex A9.



It was. So today I went out to the local bestbuy to check out a display model. Now mind you I already knew all stores in the local NYC area are out of stock on the iPad 2. Bestbuy, target, wal-mart and all Apple stores are out of stock.

Whoever Jobs hired to run his inventory needs to be fired......seriously.



Anyways, I just wanted to check the new iPad out.



LOL, it was funny. It didn't take long to find the display model cause it was surrounded by the most crowds. Some little kid was hogging the thing while being told by some bestbuy employee "excuse me but I'm getting complaints that you've used the iPad for a long time....other people are waiting to examine it".

I walked away. I didn't feel like being involved in any silly drama.



Coming back several minutes later the crowd was still there. This time some old man was arguing with some young couple...."Hey, stop hogging it I've been waiting patiently now it's my turn!". It was like people were mesmerized by the thing.

I finally got to try it out myself.



At first blush, it's certainly an improvement over the old design. Being thinner and with tapered edges, it's much easier and comfortable to hold....at least at first. The UI also responds faster as was expected. But, I'm sorry.....I'm not getting it. It's still too heavy. Trying to hold it for extended periods of time will get uncomfortable. So I'm going to wait for the iPad 3. And no, not the one in the fall. There will be no iPad 3 until March of next year. Perhaps this fall we will see a large iPod Touch. I'll buy that unseen.



On my way out I decided to go check out the Xoom if they had one on display. And they did. To my surprise there was no crowd around it. No little old ladies pushing people out of the way to grab it. The xoom was in a corner like it was any one of the dozens of other cell phones or cameras...like it was nothing special. The Apple products on the other hand had their own special place in the store. Steve Jobs knows what he's doing alright.

Anyways, the xoom.



The xoom is wayyyy heavier. It's even heavier than the iPad 1 I suspect. And it's super thick. It feels like a giant cell phone..and old fashioned kind. And I'm sorry but I think a tablet native in landscape mode is wrong just misses the point.



Now for honeycomb:

I applaud Google for attempting to make a true dedicated OS for tablet unlike Apple who is content with a giant cell phone OS. I believe a tablet's OS should really be something out of star trek or that tablet from the first iron man movie....ya know?

Unfortunately, honeycomb isn't it. Sticking PC like widgets on a tablet is not the answer I'm looking for. And lord knows I'm tired of iOS.



So what are my conclusions? The tablet I'm looking for does not exist yet. Perhaps next year as iOS 5.0 debuts on an even lighter tablet I'll finally bite. I was tempted this time with iPad 2 but.....no. Continue working on the design Steve.



*sigh* Oh well.
«13

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 50
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    The temptation to go after work Friday and stand on some long line like an idiot was really quite strong.

    But I managed to control myself.



    Yeah I resisted myself. However old age is a big help here.

    Quote:

    Instead I waited and watched the tech blogs till ifixit or ifixyouri took apart an iPad 2. I wanted someone to determine whether the iPad 2 had 512mb of ram and if the A5 cpu was indeed based on a dual core ARM Cortex A9.



    I also agree with the idea that knowing what you are buying makes you a smart consummer. Just by going to 512MB iPad2 is vastly improved. I'm very surprised at just how good of an upgrade the GPU is though. Demand for this unit will be high for a very long time.

    Quote:

    It was. So today I went out to the local bestbuy to check out a display model. Now mind you I already knew all stores in the local NYC area are out of stock on the iPad 2. Bestbuy, target, wal-mart and all Apple stores are out of stock.

    Whoever Jobs hired to run his inventory needs to be fired......seriously.



    The issue of inventory is an interesting one. In the end you have two problems, one being that you can't predict demand with any amount of certainty. The other is that you can only build so many of a device ahead of time, after all you need someplace to put them while waiting for the release date. In the end it will be interesting to see how many Apple did have on hand for release day, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 500+ at their smaller stores. I'm thinking they went through at least 750,000 this weekend.

    In the end if you have millions knocking on your door, making them all happy isn't easy.

    Quote:

    Anyways, I just wanted to check the new iPad out.



    LOL, it was funny. It didn't take long to find the display model cause it was surrounded by the most crowds. Some little kid was hogging the thing while being told by some bestbuy employee "excuse me but I'm getting complaints that you've used the iPad for a long time....other people are waiting to examine it".

    I walked away. I didn't feel like being involved in any silly drama.



    Coming back several minutes later the crowd was still there. This time some old man was arguing with some young couple...."Hey, stop hogging it I've been waiting patiently now it's my turn!". It was like people were mesmerized by the thing.

    I finally got to try it out myself.



    At first blush, it's certainly an improvement over the old design. Being thinner and with tapered edges, it's much easier and comfortable to hold....at least at first. The UI also responds faster as was expected. But, I'm sorry.....I'm not getting it. It's still too heavy.



    Seriously dude; your not getting it because it is too heavy? Nothing on the market competes with it, so you are asking for technology that doesn't exist yet. In other words this excuse is bogus.

    Quote:

    Trying to hold it for extended periods of time will get uncomfortable. So I'm going to wait for the iPad 3. And no, not the one in the fall. There will be no iPad 3 until March of next year. Perhaps this fall we will see a large iPod Touch. I'll buy that unseen.



    Seriously it is uncomfortable because of the weight? Back in my college days our text books weighed more than iPad, further we had to carry multiple books around and actually read them often handheld and then often on a desk when you got tired of that.

    Quote:

    On my way out I decided to go check out the Xoom if they had one on display. And they did. To my surprise there was no crowd around it. No little old ladies pushing people out of the way to grab it. The xoom was in a corner like it was any one of the dozens of other cell phones or cameras...like it was nothing special. The Apple products on the other hand had their own special place in the store. Steve Jobs knows what he's doing alright.

    Anyways, the xoom.



    The xoom is wayyyy heavier. It's even heavier than the iPad 1 I suspect. And it's super thick. It feels like a giant cell phone..and old fashioned kind. And I'm sorry but I think a tablet native in landscape mode is wrong just misses the point.



    Android is a cluster [email protected]& and frankly I don't see it being successful at all as it is currently built. They may eventually get it right but Android completely misses the point of iOS devices where the focus is on apps not the OS. In the end I suspect HP will come up with a better competitor and have given up hope on Playbook. Apple needs a credible competitor but I've seen nothing yet that has any hope. Part of that is due to a lack of vision or not getting the tablet market.

    Quote:

    Now for honeycomb:

    I applaud Google for attempting to make a true dedicated OS for tablet unlike Apple who is content with a giant cell phone OS.



    This is garbage, if you have been following Apple you would realize iPhone IS was originally derived from an experimental tablet OS. So your statement that iOS is a giant cell phone IS is ill informed at best. Besides I just don't think you get iOS, it isn't about the OS as much as it is about making apps transparent to the user. Apple reallydoesnt want people thinking about the OS but rather about the apps.

    Quote:

    I believe a tablet's OS should really be something out of star trek or that tablet from the first iron man movie....ya know?



    No actually. The movie is a fantasy, iPad represents what is possible at the bleeding edge of current tech. IPad will certainly improve with each hardware and software revision, evolving as the tech allows. Where that will finally go is up to Apple and the technologies it can harvest.

    Quote:

    Unfortunately, honeycomb isn't it. Sticking PC like widgets on a tablet is not the answer I'm looking for. And lord knows I'm tired of iOS.



    If you are tired of iOS then I have to say you really are focusing on the wrong element. Apples goal is to move iOS out of the loop as much as possible, the user experience should be about apps.

    Quote:

    So what are my conclusions? The tablet I'm looking for does not exist yet. Perhaps next year as iOS 5.0 debuts on an even lighter tablet I'll finally bite.



    I doubt it because tablets appear to be some sort if fantasy for you. It is sort of like the guy that is addicted to porn and can't have a relationship with a real woman. You need to accept that nothing is perfect, iPad may simply not be for you, but that has nothing to do with iPad itself.

    Quote:

    I was tempted this time with iPad 2 but.....no. Continue working on the design Steve.



    *sigh* Oh well.



    I really have to ask, what do you expect them to pull out of the hat? Honestly you must be expecting magic because you seem to gave zero grasp of where technology is today. So I give you this challenge, go out and find lighter more powerful batteries, faster lower power processors with support chips and a better screen. Show us that it is possible to do significantly better than Apple.



    You see I see criticism of iPad here which really should be an admission that you have no interest in a real tablet. Not wanting a tablet is OK, really it is, I just think it is silly to come here and manufacture a story because iPad 2 isn't your dream machine. Hell I've dreamed about inter stellar travel but at least I have the sense to realize that the tech isn't there yet. Well at least on this planet it isn't.



    When I look at iPad 2 I don't question every little feature, rather I look at the cost and the trade offs with respect to other expenses I have. It isn't a question of iPad being viable but rather does it fit within my needs. With iPad 1 it was very clear it didn't with iPad 2 I have a strong urge to rebudget for the year. Even then I have to acknowledge that it comes up short in some ways. However those shortcomings are my personal desires and frankly are not reasons to slag iPad2.



    Purchasing the iPad isn't any different than purchasing a laptop. You find the model with the best mix of features for your needs or you don't buy one. When Apple gets the right mix of features sales sky rocket as in the new AIRs. IPad 2 certainly has the right set of features for many customers so if you knock the iPad you are also knocking the customers.
  • Reply 2 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Yeah I resisted myself. However old age is a big help here.



    I also agree with the idea that knowing what you are buying makes you a smart consummer. Just by going to 512MB iPad2 is vastly improved. I'm very surprised at just how good of an upgrade the GPU is though. Demand for this unit will be high for a very long time.



    The issue of inventory is an interesting one. In the end you have two problems, one being that you can't predict demand with any amount of certainty. The other is that you can only build so many of a device ahead of time, after all you need someplace to put them while waiting for the release date. In the end it will be interesting to see how many Apple did have on hand for release day, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 500+ at their smaller stores. I'm thinking they went through at least 750,000 this weekend.

    In the end if you have millions knocking on your door, making them all happy isn't easy.



    Seriously dude; your not getting it because it is too heavy? Nothing on the market competes with it, so you are asking for technology that doesn't exist yet. In other words this excuse is bogus.



    Seriously it is uncomfortable because of the weight? Back in my college days our text books weighed more than iPad, further we had to carry multiple books around and actually read them often handheld and then often on a desk when you got tired of that.



    Android is a cluster [email protected]& and frankly I don't see it being successful at all as it is currently built. They may eventually get it right but Android completely misses the point of iOS devices where the focus is on apps not the OS. In the end I suspect HP will come up with a better competitor and have given up hope on Playbook. Apple needs a credible competitor but I've seen nothing yet that has any hope. Part of that is due to a lack of vision or not getting the tablet market.



    This is garbage, if you have been following Apple you would realize iPhone IS was originally derived from an experimental tablet OS. So your statement that iOS is a giant cell phone IS is ill informed at best. Besides I just don't think you get iOS, it isn't about the OS as much as it is about making apps transparent to the user. Apple reallydoesnt want people thinking about the OS but rather about the apps.



    No actually. The movie is a fantasy, iPad represents what is possible at the bleeding edge of current tech. IPad will certainly improve with each hardware and software revision, evolving as the tech allows. Where that will finally go is up to Apple and the technologies it can harvest.



    If you are tired of iOS then I have to say you really are focusing on the wrong element. Apples goal is to move iOS out of the loop as much as possible, the user experience should be about apps.



    I doubt it because tablets appear to be some sort if fantasy for you. It is sort of like the guy that is addicted to porn and can't have a relationship with a real woman. You need to accept that nothing is perfect, iPad may simply not be for you, but that has nothing to do with iPad itself.



    I really have to ask, what do you expect them to pull out of the hat? Honestly you must be expecting magic because you seem to gave zero grasp of where technology is today. So I give you this challenge, go out and find lighter more powerful batteries, faster lower power processors with support chips and a better screen. Show us that it is possible to do significantly better than Apple.



    You see I see criticism of iPad here which really should be an admission that you have no interest in a real tablet. Not wanting a tablet is OK, really it is, I just think it is silly to come here and manufacture a story because iPad 2 isn't your dream machine. Hell I've dreamed about inter stellar travel but at least I have the sense to realize that the tech isn't there yet. Well at least on this planet it isn't.



    When I look at iPad 2 I don't question every little feature, rather I look at the cost and the trade offs with respect to other expenses I have. It isn't a question of iPad being viable but rather does it fit within my needs. With iPad 1 it was very clear it didn't with iPad 2 I have a strong urge to rebudget for the year. Even then I have to acknowledge that it comes up short in some ways. However those shortcomings are my personal desires and frankly are not reasons to slag iPad2.



    Purchasing the iPad isn't any different than purchasing a laptop. You find the model with the best mix of features for your needs or you don't buy one. When Apple gets the right mix of features sales sky rocket as in the new AIRs. IPad 2 certainly has the right set of features for many customers so if you knock the iPad you are also knocking the customers.



    As the rumors mount for the iPad 3 in the coming months and we start to see the hardware leaks from China you will begin to understand what I mean. Even more so, next month, as we get a taste of iOS 5.0 in the developer preview you start to get where I'm coming from.

    Apple doesn't skate to where the puck has been but where it's going to be.



    My problem is that I skate a couple moves farther ahead even beyond Apple's vision. Apple will do it. But it's just taking them a little longer than I hoped.
  • Reply 3 of 50
    piotpiot Posts: 1,346member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Apple doesn't skate to where the puck has been but where it's going to be.



    My problem is that I skate a couple moves farther ahead even beyond Apple's vision....



    No. Your problem is that you are standing on a frozen lake for the next 12 months!
  • Reply 4 of 50
    bitemymacbitemymac Posts: 1,147member
    I would like my iPad with 8 core APU, running at 4GHz with 1 wk battery life, for $199.



    I guess I can wait for that someday to happen, but I will probably buy ipad2 now with much compromise from my wish-list at much higher price. At least, I will have something while I wait.
  • Reply 5 of 50
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 1,937member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    No. Your problem is that you are standing on a frozen lake for the next 12 months!



  • Reply 6 of 50
    idadidad Posts: 17member
    If I had the cash to spare it would be being used to write this post.

    I haven't even used the ipad1 yet .............. back to my corner to cry now...............
  • Reply 7 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post


    No. Your problem is that you are standing on a frozen lake for the next 12 months!



    Perhaps the body but not the mind.
  • Reply 8 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iDad View Post


    If I had the cash to spare it would be being used to write this post.

    I haven't even used the ipad1 yet .............. back to my corner to cry now...............



    Relax and save your money. There are other more important things to worry about in the meantime. Your a dad iDad? Go hug your kid.



    12 months will go by in a flash.
  • Reply 9 of 50
    irelandireland Posts: 17,751member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    At first blush, it's certainly an improvement over the old design. Being thinner and with tapered edges, it's much easier and comfortable to hold....at least at first. The UI also responds faster as was expected. But, I'm sorry.....I'm not getting it. It's still too heavy. Trying to hold it for extended periods of time will get uncomfortable. So I'm going to wait for the iPad 3. And no, not the one in the fall. There will be no iPad 3 until March of next year.



    What makes you think iPad 3 will be light enough for you? I do agree however that the iPad, as a product could never be too light. However, I also like the fact that the casing is aluminum.



    I think the best solution right now to keep it as light as possible is to get a slip-case, or a leather container case (brown) you remove the iPad from and to use the product naked with simply an Invisible Shield covering the entire thing.
  • Reply 10 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    A case, despite adding weight, alleviates most weight related problems for me. This makes the iPad comfortable to grip, handle and rest on my body during prolonged use.



    Seriously, if you haven't tried an iPad in a tight silicone case, it is worth another assessment. I love the iPad but wouldn't find it worth using without a case. That's true of both my original and ipad2. It is an entirely different ergonomic experience with a proper case.
  • Reply 11 of 50
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,399member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    12 months will go by in a flash.



    Not if Steve Jobs has anything to say about that.



  • Reply 12 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post


    What makes you think iPad 3 will be light enough for you? I do agree however that the iPad, as a product could never be too light. However, I also like the fact that the casing is aluminum.



    I think the best solution right now to keep it as light as possible is to get a slip-case, or a leather container case (brown) you remove the iPad from and to use the product naked with simply an Invisible Shield covering the entire thing.



    It was either ifixit or ifixyouri that after an analysis, figured out that the majority of the weight of the ipad was from the glass lcd display. And as well the new ipad 2's weight savings from the version one was from a lighter display. I'm referring to the 27% thinner glass panel.



    Apple has no choice but to switch display technologies for the ipad 3. Perhaps they could use Samsung's Super AMOLED plus screen technology. Now mind you I said Super AMOLED plus not regular super amoled.



    Apple will stick with the aluminum casing and I guess they can't really do anything more with the battery technology.



    And you just know Steve will push for the iPad 3 to be lighter....somehow.
  • Reply 13 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    A case, despite adding weight, alleviates most weight related problems for me. This makes the iPad comfortable to grip, handle and rest on my body during prolonged use.



    Seriously, if you haven't tried an iPad in a tight silicone case, it is worth another assessment. I love the iPad but wouldn't find it worth using without a case. That's true of both my original and ipad2. It is an entirely different ergonomic experience with a proper case.



    The new design negates the need for a case to help with the grip. The iPad 2 is ergonomic and comfortable to hold.....at least that is until you hold it for a length of time. You will start to feel the weight of the thing after a while.



    I'm waiting for version 3.
  • Reply 14 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    The new design negates the need for a case to help with the grip. The iPad 2 is ergonomic and comfortable to hold.....at least that is until you hold it for a length of time. You will start to feel the weight of the thing after a while.



    I'm waiting for version 3.



    I call BS on the new design being more comfortable. That's just a marketing ploy. The new design is actually sharper and more uncomfortable to hold. Nor is it easier to grip. The tapered edges are pointy and do nothing to help with grip. The bevel is also smaller and thus there is less room to grasp than on the previous model. The bevel is both narrower and thinner while also being wedge shaped. This makes it harder to hold.



    I still love the iPad and am typing this on an ipad2. However, people have yet to honestly evaluate the ergonomics in comparison to the old model. It is my prediction that most people will eventually admit that the above evaluation is true.
  • Reply 15 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dfiler View Post


    I call BS on the new design being more comfortable. That's just a marketing ploy. The new design is actually sharper and more uncomfortable to hold. Nor is it easier to grip. The tapered edges are pointy and do nothing to help with grip. The bevel is also smaller and thus there is less room to grasp than on the previous model. The bevel is both narrower and thinner while also being wedge shaped. This makes it harder to hold.



    I still love the iPad and am typing this on an ipad2. However, people have yet to honestly evaluate the ergonomics in comparison to the old model. It is my prediction that most people will eventually admit that the above evaluation is true.



    That's odd. I disagree with that although I admit I only used an iPad 2 for several minutes. Even so, I totally disagree with the smaller bezel thing. How large are your thumbs anyway?
  • Reply 16 of 50
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    That's odd. I disagree with that although I admit I only used an iPad 2 for several minutes. Even so, I totally disagree with the smaller bezel thing. How large are your thumbs anyway?



    It isn't odd at all, but perhaps it doesn't affect everyone.



    It is a well understood ergonomic principle that sharp edges in contact with the human body are bad. The new iPad tapers to a sharper point than the old one. While the old iPad had a ridge between perpendicular surfaces. The front and back of the new iPad meet at an acute angle. While the exact point of that intersection isn't as sharp as the old design, it does result in smaller contact surface where the weight comes to rest in the user's hands. Indeed, the edges of the new iPad resemble the profile of a knife blade.



    The effective weight bearing surface has roughly decreased from a 1/4 inch wide edge to a 1/16 inch wide edge.



    As for how large are my thumbs, they're 9/8 inch wide, which is wider than the bezel.



    Neither of these are an issue when the iPad is used in a case. The case distributes the weight over a larger area and eliminates sharp edges. It also provides a more grippable texture and shape.



    Depending on the percentage of users that prefer cases, this may still have been the best design tradeoff despite ergonomic concerns. Perhaps it provides a more suitable surface to be enclosed in a case.



    My prediction is that this realization will eventually work its way through the userbase and find its way into online reviews.
  • Reply 17 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post


    Yeah I resisted myself. However old age is a big help here.



    I also agree with the idea that knowing what you are buying makes you a smart consummer. Just by going to 512MB iPad2 is vastly improved. I'm very surprised at just how good of an upgrade the GPU is though. Demand for this unit will be high for a very long time.



    The issue of inventory is an interesting one. In the end you have two problems, one being that you can't predict demand with any amount of certainty. The other is that you can only build so many of a device ahead of time, after all you need someplace to put them while waiting for the release date. In the end it will be interesting to see how many Apple did have on hand for release day, I wouldn't be surprised if they sold 500+ at their smaller stores. I'm thinking they went through at least 750,000 this weekend.

    In the end if you have millions knocking on your door, making them all happy isn't easy.



    Seriously dude; your not getting it because it is too heavy? Nothing on the market competes with it, so you are asking for technology that doesn't exist yet. In other words this excuse is bogus.



    Seriously it is uncomfortable because of the weight? Back in my college days our text books weighed more than iPad, further we had to carry multiple books around and actually read them often handheld and then often on a desk when you got tired of that.



    Android is a cluster [email protected]& and frankly I don't see it being successful at all as it is currently built. They may eventually get it right but Android completely misses the point of iOS devices where the focus is on apps not the OS. In the end I suspect HP will come up with a better competitor and have given up hope on Playbook. Apple needs a credible competitor but I've seen nothing yet that has any hope. Part of that is due to a lack of vision or not getting the tablet market.



    This is garbage, if you have been following Apple you would realize iPhone IS was originally derived from an experimental tablet OS. So your statement that iOS is a giant cell phone IS is ill informed at best. Besides I just don't think you get iOS, it isn't about the OS as much as it is about making apps transparent to the user. Apple reallydoesnt want people thinking about the OS but rather about the apps.



    No actually. The movie is a fantasy, iPad represents what is possible at the bleeding edge of current tech. IPad will certainly improve with each hardware and software revision, evolving as the tech allows. Where that will finally go is up to Apple and the technologies it can harvest.



    If you are tired of iOS then I have to say you really are focusing on the wrong element. Apples goal is to move iOS out of the loop as much as possible, the user experience should be about apps.



    I doubt it because tablets appear to be some sort if fantasy for you. It is sort of like the guy that is addicted to porn and can't have a relationship with a real woman. You need to accept that nothing is perfect, iPad may simply not be for you, but that has nothing to do with iPad itself.



    I really have to ask, what do you expect them to pull out of the hat? Honestly you must be expecting magic because you seem to gave zero grasp of where technology is today. So I give you this challenge, go out and find lighter more powerful batteries, faster lower power processors with support chips and a better screen. Show us that it is possible to do significantly better than Apple.



    You see I see criticism of iPad here which really should be an admission that you have no interest in a real tablet. Not wanting a tablet is OK, really it is, I just think it is silly to come here and manufacture a story because iPad 2 isn't your dream machine. Hell I've dreamed about inter stellar travel but at least I have the sense to realize that the tech isn't there yet. Well at least on this planet it isn't.



    When I look at iPad 2 I don't question every little feature, rather I look at the cost and the trade offs with respect to other expenses I have. It isn't a question of iPad being viable but rather does it fit within my needs. With iPad 1 it was very clear it didn't with iPad 2 I have a strong urge to rebudget for the year. Even then I have to acknowledge that it comes up short in some ways. However those shortcomings are my personal desires and frankly are not reasons to slag iPad2.



    Purchasing the iPad isn't any different than purchasing a laptop. You find the model with the best mix of features for your needs or you don't buy one. When Apple gets the right mix of features sales sky rocket as in the new AIRs. IPad 2 certainly has the right set of features for many customers so if you knock the iPad you are also knocking the customers.



    When I first stumbled upon this post, I thought of tearing it apart ... but you did this so nicely ... congratulations, good job. I have been reading thru lots of comments on a variety of sites to gain insights ... I have noticed a few ... if I may ... fanbois intruding on these forum(s) contaminating the atmosphere of learning with just so much FUD ... Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt ... and to what end. They don't convince, they just show off their ignorance and lack of sensitivity of others that are really interested in gaining insights and understanding.



    Thank you for stabbing this one in the heart ... maybe he/she won't be back ... wouldn/t that be a blessing?
  • Reply 18 of 50
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post


    When I first stumbled upon this post, I thought of tearing it apart ... but you did this so nicely ... congratulations, good job. I have been reading thru lots of comments on a variety of sites to gain insights ... I have noticed a few ... if I may ... fanbois intruding on these forum(s) contaminating the atmosphere of learning with just so much FUD ... Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt ... and to what end. They don't convince, they just show off their ignorance and lack of sensitivity of others that are really interested in gaining insights and understanding.



    Thank you for stabbing this one in the heart ... maybe he/she won't be back ... wouldn/t that be a blessing?



    Seriously? An objective opinion that for the most part leaned positively toward the Apple device?

    Apparently I need to clear my "opinions" with the thought police. Besides, it's a good thing he responded and not you. I respect his opinion. You, I don't.
  • Reply 19 of 50
    My problem is that there is no Flash. What are the benefits of an IPAD over Mac Air which has Flash.. besides the price?
  • Reply 20 of 50
    rnb2rnb2 Posts: 50member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Olternaut View Post


    Whoever Jobs hired to run his inventory needs to be fired......seriously.



    You're entitled to your opinion, and others have already commented on the difference between what you want and what is currently possible, but I couldn't let this statement go by without commenting.



    Tim Cook is the guy 'Jobs hired to run his inventory'. He has been lauded as an inventory-management genius, and is credited with getting Apple's inventory situation under control when he joined the company. He is one of the three most important people at Apple (along with Jobs and Ive). He has been the interim CEO whenever Jobs has been on medical leave. His contribution to the success of Apple over the last decade can't be overstated.



    To suggest that he should be fired because it was impossible to manufacture and store enough iPads to satisfy 1st-weekend demand is beyond comical. No other electronics company in the world would have been able to put as many units on sale at as many places in one day as Apple did with iPad 2. Sometimes, there's just no way to satisfy demand, and Apple is in the enviable position of creating products that spur that kind of demand.
Sign In or Register to comment.