Apple's Phil Schiller says white iPhone 4 still coming this spring

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unknownz View Post

No One Cares about iPhone 4 this close to June/July.

And yet Apple?s sales are typically exceeding sales of when the model first launched so apparently there are more than a few people that don?t care about being first.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    I don't like cell phones because of the radiation. For that reason I haven't owned one. Now I have a new job and having a smart phone will actually help me to demonstrate some internet features that my company provides to businesses, thus I'll be getting my first cell phone this year.

It makes sense for me to get one now but I'm waiting for the next version of the Verizon iPhone in white. I hope it's worth it for the business because I'm getting along fine without one right now. It had better earn me more per month in extra sales than it costs, otherwise I'll be really disappointed and out of some money. I won't be using it for anything other than business.

An iPad would come close to doing the same things I need but it wouldn't be as impressive because the internet products are geared to marketing on cell phones. It just wouldn't be the same.
  • Reply 23 of 30
    recrec Posts: 217member
    I expected the next headline from Appleinsider after this one would be "Phil Schiller's Twitter account closed by Apple"
  • Reply 24 of 30
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Though Schiller's comment seems to break from company protocol, given that Apple is usually highly secretive about its unreleased products, it remains inline with comments from an Apple spokesperson last October announcing the device was delayed "until this spring."

WTF? This product was announced nearly a year ago, and the iPhone 4 is a shipping product. And the company has been talking about it. How on Earth do you construe it to be a breach of protocol, AI?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I don't like cell phones because of the radiation. For that reason I haven't owned one.

I just know you're going to get hammered on that one, but i'm right that with you on that bro. Although i do carry a $20 Nokia prepaid phone for emergencies, as pay phones have gone the way of the dinosaurs. I'd carry an iPhone if it were offered in the US with a data-only plan, and had a pre-paid voice option. It's just too costly for me as is, for all the use i'd get out of it.

As for radiation issues, there's no way these phones can be benign. They transmit microwave energy. You wouldn't stick your head inside a microwave oven. Sure, it's lower power than an oven, but your head is right at the source! Using the speakerphone gets it farther away from your head, and those few inches do make a significant difference, as the power density is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the antenna.

Also, a BlueTooth headset can allow you to get the phone farther from your head. While BlueTooth also emits radiation, it's a much weaker signal to start with; it only needs to transmit a few feet, not miles.

The use of wired earpieces can actually act as an antenna, channeling phone energy directly into the ear and increasing the radiation exposure over and above simply holding the phone to your head! Up to a factor of three, according to one study! Only wired earpieces with chokes won't do this. Apple's earbuds don't have chokes that i can see, and as far as i know, the iPhone lacks an internal choke at the audio jack, so i wouldn't be inclined to use an iPhone to listen to music via ear buds if either of the radios are turned on. Same goes for an iPod Touch or iPad.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    brookstbrookst Posts: 62member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by _Hawkeye_ View Post

As for radiation issues, there's no way these phones can be benign. They transmit microwave energy. You wouldn't stick your head inside a microwave oven. Sure, it's lower power than an oven, but your head is right at the source!

Also, you should avoid electric razors. You wouldn't stick a circular saw on your face! Sure, razors use smaller blades, but they're both kinetic energy driving sharpened steel. There's no way electric razors can be benign.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    yodieyodie Posts: 31member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Several months before buying my 3GS my phone died. I purchased a cheap $30-40 phone and when the 3GS came out I ditched the old phone (which I still use for an alarm clock) and got the 3GS. No reason to spend $200-300+ on a phone now when there will be a new version in a few months when a person can get a temporary cheap phone (or pay as you go phone) to hold em over. But this is simply my opinion.

While this is true, for some, once you go iPhone you never go back. I know that for myself, every day I have to fight not to upgrade my often-only-works-on-speaker 3G, and just can't get myself to use my spare very nice Sony Ericsson. A white iPhone 4 just might push me over.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BrooksT View Post

Also, you should avoid electric razors. You wouldn't stick a circular saw on your face! Sure, razors use smaller blades, but they're both kinetic energy driving sharpened steel. There's no way electric razors can be benign.

Dammit, now I have to tear up another movie script.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yodie View Post

While this is true, for some, once you go iPhone you never go back. I know that for myself, every day I have to fight not to upgrade my often-only-works-on-speaker 3G, and just can't get myself to use my spare very nice Sony Ericsson. A white iPhone 4 just might push me over.

Stay strong... three months and a new world opens. My friend is also on a cranky old IP3G and I've convinced him to wait a lil longer... fight the urge and STAY STRONG!!!!
  • Reply 29 of 30
    Nice "Umi No Toriton" avatar, Phil.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

I don't like cell phones because of the radiation. For that reason I haven't owned one. Now I have a new job and having a smart phone will actually help me to demonstrate some internet features that my company provides to businesses, thus I'll be getting my first cell phone this year.

It makes sense for me to get one now but I'm waiting for the next version of the Verizon iPhone in white. I hope it's worth it for the business because I'm getting along fine without one right now. It had better earn me more per month in extra sales than it costs, otherwise I'll be really disappointed and out of some money. I won't be using it for anything other than business.

An iPad would come close to doing the same things I need but it wouldn't be as impressive because the internet products are geared to marketing on cell phones. It just wouldn't be the same.

If your company isn't going to pay for it, or if you're self employed, it's a write-off on taxes.