Teardown of Apple's iPad 2 Smart Cover uncovers 21 magnets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 75
    cutykamucutykamu Posts: 230member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

For some reason I thought there would be more magnets on the hinge side rather than the screen-closure side. But it kinda makes sense to prevent the screen cover from always opening up.

White iPad 2 and Red Leather cover for me please, thx.

Or... I might skip this revision all together. Resistance, though, as we know, is usually... futile.

you will be assimilated...
  • Reply 22 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I don't have anything against AIDS research or anything, but for some reason, the red cover puts me off. Every time I would look at it, I would automatically associate that with it.

I wish we could put the research into diseases that have unknown (or lesser-undesrstood) causes -- cancer, alzheimers, etc. AIDS could be stopped tomorrow, without any research at all.
  • Reply 23 of 75
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    I wonder if third-party accessories will find use for the magnets in the iPad, or if Apple will try to prohibit unauthorized interoperability.
  • Reply 24 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    How many though it was just a light sensor, not a magnetosensor, that turned the display on/off?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

The best part about it is that its a such a unique idea, that anyone who tries to copy it is going to look too obvious, and really foolish.

Though, the same could be said about the iPad itself. A year ago, and today.

Since the cover and device have to be designed in tandem it will be hard to match. I don't think many are using enough ferris metal in their devices to make even a 3rd-party case work, but I do look forward to see the clever ideas for 3rd-party magnetic iPad 2 cases coming to market.
  • Reply 25 of 75
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    Apple continues to innovate. That is clever of them.
  • Reply 26 of 75
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Quote:

It was smart of Apple to build the smart cover functionality directly into the iPad itself. It's not going to be too easy for the copycats to implement this particular idea, as they would probably have to start from scratch all over again, causing them to redesign and rethink their entire tablet, leading to further huge delays, and by that time the iPad 3 will already be hitting the shelves.

Is it possible that patents will keep third parties from piggy-backing onto Apple's magnets for their own cases?
  • Reply 27 of 75
    copelandcopeland Posts: 298member
    Quote:

That's true, I forgot all about cutting out that little notch in the disks.

Remembering those high tech tales of yesterday ... I start feeling really old!
  • Reply 28 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

Apple continues to innovate. That is clever of them.

As Lee Iacocca once said in a Chrysler commercial: "Lead, follow, or get out of the way." Lots of followers these days. Some of them will be getting out of the way soon.

BTW, I think Thomas Paine actually originated this saying.
  • Reply 29 of 75
    As I commented on TUAW, what I'd like to see is a "smart" carrying bag, which puts the iPad to sleep when you drop it in and wakes it back up when you pull it out. Now that we know there's only one sensor, we know such a bag would only require four small magnets ? one for each possible orientation of the iPad. Heck, even before some accessory company comes out with it, we might see a DIY version from someone who's handy with a sewing machine.
  • Reply 30 of 75
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:

It was smart of Apple to build the smart cover functionality directly into the iPad itself. It's not going to be too easy for the copycats to implement this particular idea, as they would probably have to start from scratch all over again, causing them to redesign and rethink their entire tablet, leading to further huge delays, and by that time the iPad 3 will already be hitting the shelves.

A lot of people here forget that Motorola has already used the "magnets" idea in their Droid line for a while for different docking stations. This time, it was Apple that copied the idea
  • Reply 31 of 75
    bongobongo Posts: 158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Robin Huber View Post

Is it possible that patents will keep third parties from piggy-backing onto Apple's magnets for their own cases?

I am thinking Motorola will file a patent case against Apple, if they were smart enough to file a general patent, of course.
  • Reply 32 of 75
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

I am thinking Motorola will file a patent case against Apple, if they were smart enough to file a general patent, of course.

I don't think just using magnets as sensors or to attach things together would be specific enough to patent. Neither is a dock application and a case application "the same thing." If what you say is true, then Motorola could get sued by hundreds of magnet using product manufacturers. But to use magnets in the several very specific ways (attachment, alignment, on/off sensing, case transformation) Apple did for a device case is unique--and patentable I think.
  • Reply 33 of 75
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    So, the world should stop providing blood transfusions or procreating? I am confused.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by frugality View Post

I wish we could put the research into diseases that have unknown (or lesser-undesrstood) causes -- cancer, alzheimers, etc. AIDS could be stopped tomorrow, without any research at all.

• Reply 34 of 75
    Thanks for the informative review of the new cover magnetic attachment mechanisms... that also provide EZ on/off

Just curious. on the inside of the new cover is supposed to be a micro cloth material to aid in keeping the display surface clean.

The (4) sections wrap in a triangular fashion to form a support base ... rather clever I might add.

However, I wonder if the nice micro cleaning material will also pick up debris as it sits on a variety of surfaces, then when closed over the nice new face ... what is the potential for abrasion?

I do know that gorilla glass is optical glass and is highly scratch resistant.

Just a thought. I can see this being a potential issue if it is wrapped under to keep the back from potential scratches... a lot of posters certainly don't want to scratch their nice cases.
  • Reply 35 of 75
    Quote:

That's true, I forgot all about cutting out that little notch in the disks.

Not to mention the scotch or masking tape that we kept handy for making them writable again!
  • Reply 36 of 75
    Advertising is nice but redirecting focus for research in off topic ideas? This doesn't seem to be involved with the new cover. Seems like there is a lot of chatter here that is totally meaningless, as well.
  • Reply 37 of 75
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Fucking magnets how do . . . oh never mind.
  • Reply 38 of 75
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bongo View Post

A lot of people here forget that Motorola has already used the "magnets" idea in their Droid line for a while for different docking stations. This time, it was Apple that copied the idea

Because a docking station is the same as a cover?
  • Reply 39 of 75
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by madhatter61 View Post

[?]

However, I wonder if the nice micro cleaning material will also pick up debris as it sits on a variety of surfaces, then when closed over the nice new face ... what is the potential for abrasion?

[?]

Just a thought. I can see this being a potential issue if it is wrapped under to keep the back from potential scratches... a lot of posters certainly don't want to scratch their nice cases.

The case for the original iPad did the same thing; you folded the part touching the display over to be the based of the stand. I never found this to be an issue, though I did make sure the area I was placing it was fairly clean.

The benefit of the iPad 2 cover over the iPad 1 case is that only a about ¼ will be touching the surface you are placing it.
  • Reply 40 of 75
    touch1touch1 Posts: 22member
    ... How are these magnets going to interact with the human body that is essentially an electro-magnetic/electro-chemical device? What lawsuits are going to come out? Maybe it will cure my arthritic (spelling) fingers?