Mac OS X 10.6.7 release approaches with eighth beta seeded by Apple

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple on Monday seeded the eighth beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7 to developers, with the latest build again featuring no new issues and no new focus areas, suggesting a final release could be close.

People familiar with the latest build, dubbed 10J869, said it is a 476.1MB download in its delta image form. It arrives less than a week after the previous build, which was named just one digit off from this week's release, 10J868.

Like previous builds, the latest beta of Mac OS X 10.6.7 is said to contain no issues, and developers have reportedly been asked to focus on Safari, the Mac App Store, Bonjour, SMB, and Graphics Drivers.

The beta is available to members of Apple's Mac developer program, and is intended to allow software makers the ability to ensure their programs are compatible with the forthcoming update. The consistent lack of known issues with betas of Mac OS X 10.6.7 is evidence that the software is near final.

Mac OS X 10.6.7 will be a security and maintenance update for the Snow Leopard operating system, and is not expected to include any major new features. Apple has concentrated its efforts on the next major operating system release, Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, due for release this summer.

The previous update for Snow Leopard was Mac OS X 10.6.6. It arrived in early January, and included the Mac App Store for downloading software titles on the Mac platform.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member
    Awesome.
  • Reply 2 of 9
    paulmjohnsonpaulmjohnson Posts: 1,380member
    I assume the betas are available for anyone who's a paid up member of the Apple development program?

If that is the case, let's say you are concentrating on their graphics drivers (as mentioned above), if you find a problem, how do you feed it back to them, and do you get any indication of what they found and how they fixed it?

I'm just curious how the process works.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Does it fix the slow SMB browsing issue?
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

I assume the betas are available for anyone who's a paid up member of the Apple development program?

If that is the case, let's say you are concentrating on their graphics drivers (as mentioned above), if you find a problem, how do you feed it back to them, and do you get any indication of what they found and how they fixed it?

I'm just curious how the process works.

Or you can go to download.imodzone.net
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Does it fix the slow SMB browsing issue?

I don't think SL has ever browsed SMB at what I consider proper speeds. I do believe Leopard was much more capable with its speeds....
  • Reply 6 of 9
    bagerbager Posts: 5member
    Does it add support for hardware assisted H.264 video playback to the new MacBook Pros?

It is a crime that the new MacBook Pros released in year 2011 do not support GPU assisted video decode. I wonder why Mac community is so loud when Flash is not performing well, but completely silent when Apple is lazy and not doing its homework and ships a product where a simple video playback kills battery life.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bager View Post

Does it add support for hardware assisted H.264 video playback to the new MacBook Pros?

It is a crime that the new MacBook Pros released in year 2011 do not support GPU assisted video decode. I wonder why Mac community is so loud when Flash is not performing well, but completely silent when Apple is lazy and not doing its homework and ships a product where a simple video playback kills battery life.

Because Intel GPUs are shit. That's the only thing I can think of. Well, technically they do support some great GPU decoding and encoding. But as you can see I hate Intel GPUs.

More seriously, Apple probably just didn't have time to write the drivers.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

I don't think SL has ever browsed SMB at what I consider proper speeds. I do believe Leopard was much more capable with its speeds....

Windows networking is the worst ever. They never got it right. Let's face this fact.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    bagerbager Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Because Intel GPUs are shit. That's the only thing I can think of. Well, technically they do support some great GPU decoding and encoding. But as you can see I hate Intel GPUs.

More seriously, Apple probably just didn't have time to write the drivers.

Intel HD 3000 GPU is capable of H.264 decode. Anyway, my 17" MacBook Pro also has and AMD Radeon HD 6750M well capable of MPEG2, VC-1 and H.264 decode. Mac OS X does not take advantage of any. Sounds like Flash 9.