Japan Apple Stores serve as rallying point after massive quake

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Rad this on kevin's website. I wonder what the store design was for this particular store if they were able to survive the quake. Granted Tokyo was pretty far away from the epicenter, but no way this was a glass cube.

Contrary to common wisdom, glass is actually an excellent structural material. I see no reason a properly constructed "glass cube" Apple store would not have survived the quake, so long as nothing falling from another building struck it.
  • Reply 22 of 40
    desuserigndesuserign Posts: 1,316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

What nonsense. A country of 125 million people, the third largest economy in the world, with its citizens among the world's wealthiest are going to stop buying computers, MP3 players, phones, and tablets because of a natural disaster?

Talk about an analyst stretching his capabilities and relevance just to stay within the story line.

Yup. What a moronic tool he is!

It's even conceivable Apple might do better in Japan as people will need to replace broken or lost electronics. And even people who have lost much may well seek the compact and mobile comfort and connection an iPad or iPhone could provide them.

In any case, I just hope folks can make it safely through the next week or so, as this seems to be a critical time when delivery of supplies and help will greatly lag the need for them.
  • Reply 23 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DESuserIGN View Post

Yup. What a moronic tool he is!

Indeed. I never gave much thought to any "analysts" before I started reading various tech sites. But the more I read about these "analysts" and their predictions with all things relating to Apple, I'm starting to really dislike those people. Most of them seem to be completely clueless morons. I can't believe that they actually get paid money to just sit around all day and make dumb predictions, pulling numbers out of their butts.
  • Reply 24 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kyle172 View Post

Donate to the International Redcross for Japan

US Residents can text to 90999 to make a $10 donation

Faire un don Ã* l'Redcross international pour le Japon

...Spenden an das Internationale Rotkreuz für Japan

Dona a la Redcross Internacional de Japón

Donera till den internationella Redcross för Japan

Fai una donazione al Redcross internazionale per il Giappone

There are way too many scams out their for me to use a number posted in a forum. You are much better off suggesting people go to their official web site or iTunes to donate.
  • Reply 25 of 40
    Quote:

What nonsense. A country of 125 million people, the third largest economy in the world, with its citizens among the world's wealthiest are going to stop buying computers, MP3 players, phones, and tablets because of a natural disaster?

Talk about an analyst stretching his capabilities and relevance just to stay within the story line.

I doubt it will stop but there will be a decrease in sales as many people make donations towards the disaster relief and "gaman-suru".

There will also be reduced access to the Apple stores if they are included in the rolling blackouts over the next two months.

However, I think there may also be donations of computer equipment down the road once towns start rebuilding.
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My girl is going to Japan this weekend. I'm trying to get her iPad2 this week, so she can bring that with her instead of her old macbook.

Japanese people are very smart and they love Apple products. They're also more civilized than many other groups of people. Do you see any looting and such, even after that huge quake and tsunami? I'm not Japanese, that is just my observation.

Normally, I do not start online comments with such a categorically strong statement as, not true. However, the treatment of minorities in Japan is legendary. I do not usually cite wikipedia but, please see here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan#Ainu>;
  • Reply 27 of 40
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by biggarthomas View Post

Normally, I do not start online comments with such a categorically strong statement as, not true. However, the treatment of minorities in Japan is legendary. I do not usually cite wikipedia but, please see here <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_issues_in_Japan#Ainu>;

I've never been to Japan, so I don't have any first hand knowledge or first hand experience of the country or their internal affairs. Even if what you link to is true, I don't see how that makes my statement not true.

Are they not behaving vastly more civilized than other groups of people when faced with a crisis situation or a natural disaster? That was the only point I was trying to make.
  • Reply 28 of 40
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Well done to the staff of that Apple store for helping people as best they can and not just locking the doors. Terrible tragedy, my heart goes out to those affected. I hope Apple extends the donation option to other iTunes stores around the world. The Red Cross is an international organisation.
  • Reply 29 of 40
    Donations are now accepted through the iTunes Store Japan.
  • Reply 30 of 40
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    There are some companies really stepping up and offering cash and subsidies to aid the Japan earthquake effort.

Apart from opening another avenue for donation, is Apple doing likewise? I know that Steve is not particularly known for his philanthropy but is Apple doing anything other than what they, in the normal course of things, offer as a matter of course?
  • Reply 31 of 40
    I haven't seen anything but I also haven't looked for it. The news has announced several donations by large companies but they honestly have been pretty overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information flowing in regarding the nuclear reactors (and the need to present this in a way that people who know nothing about it can digest it), aftershocks (there have been two or three in just the past 15 minutes... all TVs in country get automatic warnings; one was a 5.2 and another was a 3.0), the rare rescue, evacuation sites... you get the picture.
  • Reply 32 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    What's good for staff and customers is good for business.
  • Reply 33 of 40
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Jobs isn't known for philanthropy, however, he is a private person. He strikes me as the type of guy who if he was going to give money he wouldn't advertise it. I suspect it would be donated in an anonymousness fashion.

Apple also publicly donated money and product after 911. It also occasionally donates to issues it supports. It donated money to over turn the anti-gay marriage ban in California. Steve also seems compassionate. When that kid was murdered a few years ago for an iPod, Jobs called the father to ask if there was anything he could do personally.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

There are some companies really stepping up and offering cash and subsidies to aid the Japan earthquake effort.

Apart from opening another avenue for donation, is Apple doing likewise? I know that Steve is not particularly known for his philanthropy but is Apple doing anything other than what they, in the normal course of things, offer as a matter of course?

• Reply 34 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

My girl is going to Japan this weekend. I'm trying to get her iPad2 this week, so she can bring that with her instead of her old macbook.

Japanese people are very smart and they love Apple products. They're also more civilized than many other groups of people. Do you see any looting and such, even after that huge quake and tsunami? I'm not Japanese, that is just my observation.

If you call being among the most racist people on the face of the planet civilized, then sure.

Next time you're over there make some comments about how nice Chinese or Taiwanese or Korean people are. Watch the meltdown that ensues.

I suppose everyone's experiences differ, but I met quite a lot of people working over there, and they take racist to a new level.
  • Reply 35 of 40
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

I can see you're up on current events. If their prime minister keeps lying to them about the nuclear emergency they're facing, they'll be dead from radiation poisoning.

Who's gonna buy then? This situation is serious, in case you hadn't noticed from the cave.
  • Reply 36 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I can see you're up on current events.

And, I can see you're not.
  • Reply 37 of 40
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 'Apple

[;1829053?]They're also more civilized than many other groups of people. Do you see any looting and such, even after that huge quake and tsunami? I'm not Japanese, that is just my observation.

I don?t think your reasoning is sound here or I?m reading it the wrong way. I don?t think one can judge a group of people as being more or less civilized without coming across at best biased and at worst racist/bigoted, which I don?t think you meant in any way. There simply is no test to determine who is more civilized since the term is defined by opinion, not fact.
  • Reply 38 of 40
    Quote:

And, I can see you're not.

Yeah clearly it has no impact which is why Apple decided to delay the launch in Japan.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Yeah clearly it has no impact which is why Apple decided to delay the launch in Japan.

Big deal. Delay for how long? 1 week? 1 month? Irrelevant for Apple's valuation....

In any event, given the seemingly tight supplies of the product, Apple may be making a virtue out of a necessity. I wouldn't be surprised if all non-US launches are put off by a couple of weeks.

(If you'd bothered to read carefully -- which you often don't -- I was responding to pmz on his complete lack of updated knowledge of the nuclear issue, not Apple's launch delay).
  • Reply 40 of 40
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted