Apple iTunes takes just 4% of US digital video market as Netflix dominates

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 112
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bfpseller View Post

For a limited amount of movies you can watch per month through iTunes.

Let's say $8 for 5 movies per month. It will take lots of business away from Netflix.

Netflix is $8 for infinity movies a month. And TV shows, et. al.

I fail to see how this could take away ANYTHING except if all ISPs move to bandwidth caps on home Internet plans.
  • Reply 102 of 112
    i am with you on this. not-so-new is a nice way to put Netflix old and lame collection of movies.

iTunes has most new releases and their bandwidth, picture and sound quality is way better than netflix.

I do have netflix, its cheap like a chicken in heat. (cheap,cheap,cheap) i mean come on, it's only $8. You get what you pay for...

if they ever get the selection or better and newer movies like itunes has, they will be over $25 a month and charge per movie for new releases.

theres no way the studios will permit their "good" stuff to be offered at the rates netflix charges.
  • Reply 103 of 112
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member
    [QUOTE=MagicFingers;1833863]i am with you on this. not-so-new is a nice way to put Netflix old and lame collection of movies./QUOTE]

I guess that all depends on what your priorities are in life. I must live a sheltered life because for me most of the movies on Netflix are new. I think the last movie I saw in the theater was Avatar and that was only because my wife wanted to see it in 3-D.
  • Reply 104 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iTunes View Post

Or iTunes can at least remove the "watch the movie within 24 hours or lose it" policy.

Sometimes things do not go as planned and consumers may need more time.

Uh, it's within 30 days. You have 30 days to find a twenty-four hour block in which you might be able to watch a two hour movie.

If you can't plan something with that amount of time given, you have no right to be complaining.
  • Reply 105 of 112
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Uh, it's within 30 days. You have 30 days to find a twenty-four hour block in which you might be able to watch a two hour movie.

If you can't plan something with that amount of time given, you have no right to be complaining.

I completely disagree. This should fit around people's lives, not be the driver of how they spend their time. 48 hours to watch a two-hour movie sounds about right. Maybe even 72 hours..
  • Reply 106 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

I completely disagree. This should fit around people's lives, not be the driver of how they spend their time. 48 hours to watch a two-hour movie sounds about right. Maybe even 72 hours..

I think 30 days/24 hours is fitting around people who aren?t going to watch it right away or all at once. More time would obviously be better and the only issue there is seems to be the duration after you start it, not the 30 day window to start it.

Other countries have more than 24 hours for iTunes Store rentals so I can?t see how this is anything but the content owner?s ruling on the matter, especially considering the issues Apple had with securing video deals. This is one area Apple didn?t have the a power position.

Because of this combined with other online rental services and all impending fear of Apple?s dominance I wouldn?t expect Apple to be able to get a longer duration until after the others offer it.

How what are the Amazon Prime and Xbox Live rental duration stats? I thought Amazon Prime matched the iTS with 30d/24h and Xbox Live had 14d/24h. Is this correct? Are there other authorized services in the US that extended the rentals longer?
  • Reply 107 of 112
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John.B View Post

If you're too busy to schedule a two hour block of time out of THIRTY DAYS, you won't be renting a movie from iTunes, anyway.
  • Reply 108 of 112
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I am thinking this way. It costs $3 or $4 to rent a new release from iTunes. If I use $1/day of Red Box as benchmark, iTunes should allow 72 or 96 hours.

Is that limit, 24 hours, really set by the studios? I doubt that. Likely Apple wants higher margin than Red Box

Your post makes no sense.
  • Reply 109 of 112
    Quote:

I am thinking this way. It costs $3 or $4 to rent a new release from iTunes. If I use $1/day of Red Box as benchmark, iTunes should allow 72 or 96 hours.

Is that limit, 24 hours, really set by the studios? I doubt that. Likely Apple wants higher margin than Red Box

Perfect strategy: ignore my completely valid and irrefutable point and make up another pointless one of your own.

Why don't I use this more often? Oh, I know!
  • Reply 110 of 112
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How what are the Amazon Prime and Xbox Live rental duration stats? I thought Amazon Prime matched the iTS with 30d/24h and Xbox Live had 14d/24h. Is this correct? Are there other authorized services in the US that extended the rentals longer?

I just checked and Amazon.com says rentals are "48 hours", whatever that means.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

If you're too busy to schedule a two hour block of time out of THIRTY DAYS, you won't be renting a movie from iTunes, anyway.

Just a guess: No kids in your house?
  • Reply 111 of 112
    Quote:

The fact that you are able to manage two hour block does not mean everyone else has to.

So you're not going to theaters, on vacations, shopping, or writing long papers, then?

Quote:

Looks how RedBox has taken business of Block Buster B&M

Really that would be more "Netflix and Blockbuster's worthless business model and inability to understand that people want streaming".