Terrell Owens and his sharpie

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    Gotta hand it to Terrell. Pulling out a pen and signing the Football before giving it to a friend is original and creative. Looks like Terrell "Thinks Different". Bet he's a Mac user.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by groverat:

<strong>Why shouldn't he be able to do that?

What's wrong with showboating?</strong><hr></blockquote>After all, it is the American Way

- T.I.
  • Reply 43 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by nullptr:

<strong>Gotta hand it to Terrell. Pulling out a pen and signing the Football before giving it to a friend is original and creative. Looks like Terrell "Thinks Different". Bet he's a Mac user. </strong><hr></blockquote>Next time he will pull out an iBook . . .

- T.I.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    d/p Just showboating . . .

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 45 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Matsu:

<strong>I just don't get it. WTF does the NFL have against celebrating? </strong><hr></blockquote>

They don't. At least they don't have enough against celebrating to crack down on all of it. They just have a problem when someone crosses a line. Where that line is precisely, it's hard to say. If somebody else had done this, I don't think there would have been as much noise about it. But Terrell has a well-deserved reputation for self-promotion. And that incident in Dallas doesn't help him either. As a result, he probably invites a stricter scrutiny. But I think the NFL should lighten up too.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    The Installer:

Beating the absolute crap out of fans of the opposing team: the European way.

The world was full of humility and peace before goddam America!

--

spiff:

The line is taunting or attempting to draw attention to yourself. Owens' little bit was neither.

How many people could actually see him doing it if it weren't for jumbotrons and 24-hour sports stations?
  • Reply 47 of 54

<strong>The Installer:

Beating the absolute crap out of fans of the opposing team: the European way. </strong><hr></blockquote>"Beating the absolute crap out of fans..." is *not* acceptable to Europeans, bar a small minority, whilst showboating, as you call it, appears to be acceptable to most Americans. Do you see the difference? We are talking way of life here.

I wonder where I came across the concept of winning at all costs for the first time? To come second, is to be a loser?

Nah, you can keep your showboating, groverat. Looks pretty ugly to me, it does.

- T.I.

[ 10-19-2002: Message edited by: The Installer ]</p>
  • Reply 48 of 54
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Yeah, because showboating is so damn unethical, TI...

What about that those stupid goal celebrations, where they rip off their shirts, pretend to pick up fake coins, and what not? Isn't that common-place and accepted behavior? Isn't that show-boating?

What's wrong with it?
  • Reply 49 of 54
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Eugene, that's completely different!
  • Reply 50 of 54

<strong>Eugene, that's completely different!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Of course! They're not gaudy American scum!
  • Reply 51 of 54
    double

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>
  • Reply 52 of 54

<strong>

spiff:

The line is taunting or attempting to draw attention to yourself. Owens' little bit was neither.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hence the confusion I alluded to.
  • Reply 53 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>Yeah, because showboating is so damn unethical, TI...

What about that those stupid goal celebrations, where they rip off their shirts, pretend to pick up fake coins, and what not? Isn't that common-place and accepted behavior? Isn't that show-boating?</strong><hr></blockquote>It strikes me as equally moronic behaviour.

And yes, it is unethical, that is, it is not conforming to accepted standards of social or professional behaviour, wherever it happens, but if you, if you pardon the pun, are willing to move the goal posts . . .

Remember, 10 years ago or so, when players scored a touchdown they just turned around, and that was it. Now you just gotta catch a ball, and your whole team jumps on you. It's pathetic.

You score a goal, a point, whatever. So friggin' what? It's not as if you have accomplished anything particularly meaningful now, is it? You are just doing your (most likely vastly) overpaid job. And then, you have to rub your opponent's nose in it. Yeah, sure, cool...

Thankfully, there are plenty of sports persons around who do not deem it necessary to resort to such Neanderthal like antics. All this ME, ME, ME sh*te. Give me a break. [quote]Of course! They're not gaudy American scum!<hr></blockquote>Now where did that come from? :confused:

- T.I.
  • Reply 54 of 54
    [quote]Originally posted by The Installer:

<strong>Now where did that come from? :confused:

- T.I.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Let's see...

You made an idiotic post about how touchdown celebrations are shameful, but accepted by Americans. Then you deny soccer goal celebrations are widely accepted by the rest of the world?

If so, why do they continue? Why associate this behavior with Americans?

It seems to me like you're playing the ignorant fool.

[ 10-20-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>