Deceleration in Foxconn manufacturing seen as a concern for Apple

Comments

• Reply 21 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'd be prepared to wait 5 weeks if it will stop people feeling like the only way out is to end their lives. In the west we just expect everything right-now. It's time we all realized our wants and needs cost.
  • Reply 22 of 46
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    I don't understand.

Microsoft manages to sell 10.000.000 Kinects's in only four months. How come Apple is still surprised by the success of their iPad? iPad 1, okay. But iPad 2? Come on!

On a side note: Microsoft's Kinect is the fastest selling consumer product ? ever. They too were surprised by their success, but they managed to overcome their problems. The question is: How did they do it?!
  • Reply 23 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Granmastak View Post

While this analysis maybe an exaggeration, Apple maybe better served if they had more manufacturing companies in the mix. Why put all your eggs in one basket?

I thought the same thing. When Sony experienced high initial demand for the (then new) PS3, they added manufacturing capacity by contracting a second manufacturer. I think it may have been Foxconn. Of course, whomever was chosen must meet Apple's quality standards.
  • Reply 24 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

The slowdown is because the Zune will no longer be manufactured...

I feel badly for that one worker who had to keep dusting off those Zunes. So much for job security.
  • Reply 25 of 46
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    That is basically the hypothesis of the analysis, if quoted and interpreted correctly by Apple Insider writer***. If we assume that the Apple Insider writer did indeed interpret the original report correctly, then the analysis is gravely flawed. This is similar to falacies in logic:

"The sun is not seen to rise or set when the weather is very bad. Therefore, the sun rises and sets only if the weather is good (i.e., the sky is clear."+++

As noted by another poster, and should be obvious to one who is familiar with many techno-manufacturing giants in Asia, they usually manufacture products for a number of companies. And the really good ones or giants among them, like Samsung may be manufacturing and selling almost "the same manufactured products or other products, under their own name brand.

The overall slump in the PC, including netbooks and other products can impact the overall growth of companies, like FOXCON, in spite of the fact that their Apple business partnership is thriving. As a testament to this, it has been reported that FOXCON started to build new factories in another region of China, mainly in anticipation of the increased growth of their Apple business. These new plants are supposed to be in operation sometime this year.

For those who are not familiar with the business of a number of the big techno-manufacturing empires in Asia, a possible analogy to FOXCON would be Microsoft. Many of Microsoft's products and services are lagging or completely tanked the past decade (and continue to do so among some of their more recent products and services). Without the legacy MS Windows PC licensing revenues (and the main reason why Microsoft remains "more profitable" than Apple, for now), Microsoft is essentially stagnating or even declining in a number of its products and services offerings.

In fact, the situation is even more dire in the case of Microsoft (relative to FOXCON). Microsoft is supposed to be licensing its Windows 7 mobile software for a fee. Instead, if the rumors proved to be correct, Microsoft is actually paying Nokia (another giant losing marketshare) in the Nokia-Microsoft recent alliance.

The latter is a desperation strategy in the part of Microsoft in its effort to keep the Microsoft Windows 7 (soon to be 8???) almost akin to the "Hail Mary" pass in US football.

But contrary to the predicts of many (including Apple sympathizers), Microsoft will remain "profitable" for many years to come, albeit stagnating and possibly declining shares in many of its other business products and services. However, as profitable th Windows software may be to Microsoft, this cash cow is threatened by the ascendance of mobile computing products, including tablets, will erode the PC computer share. So far, Microsoft has shown no skills to compete successfully in the mobile computing products, including tablets.

CGC

***Apple Insider or most Apple-centric sites rarely cited or provided links to the original report, just a link to another report interpreting the original document.

+++The observation of the sun rising or setting is due to the full rotation of the earth during a 24-hour period. Not observing the sun rising or setting due to bad weather obscuring the phenomena is local.
  • Reply 26 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mr O View Post

I don't understand.

Microsoft manages to sell 10.000.000 Kinects's in only four months. How come Apple is still surprised by the success of their iPad? iPad 1, okay. But iPad 2? Come on!

On a side note: Microsoft's Kinect is the fastest selling consumer product ? ever. They too were surprised by their success, but they managed to overcome their problems. The question is: How did they do it?!

One thought... MS is in the software business, for the most part their hardware business runs at a loss... maybe they don't mind having excess inventory sitting around.

Let's wait four months... maybe Apple will have sold 10 million units. You have to remember, Apple is at the top of the pile and everyone likes to take shots at it... so of course all you're going to hear are the negative stories.
  • Reply 27 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Time to add another bunch of AAPL shares!
  • Reply 28 of 46
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Sold half my aapl position on this news.

I'm buying on this news... thanks for the shares, see you at 400
  • Reply 29 of 46
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

You should have held out, B.
  • Reply 30 of 46
    macnycmacnyc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

No, not really. Every time I think about selling a little aapl I end up buying or holding, since 2005 when I got in. Mostly because market share is so low in certain product lines. Tons of room to grow.

With that logic you would be buying not selling. it doesn't make sense to sell now unless you think the stock is going to tank even more and not recoup.
  • Reply 31 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

With that logic you would be buying not selling. it doesn't make sense to sell now unless you think the stock is going to tank even more and not recoup.

Better yet, you should have bought Put options on the news, and hold on to the shares.

This way, the Puts will make money on the news, and the shares will keep appreciating when it rebound.
  • Reply 32 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

A joke of an analysis, really. This guy has no clue about where or why the 'deceleration' is coming from, why it only affects Apple, whether Apple has alternatives, whether this is a short/medium/long-term issue for Foxconn, and throws around clueless, vague terms like 'investor complacency' and 'street commentary' on momentum. Not a whit about company or market fundamentals.

Investors actually pay for this sort of thing?!

Let's hope the stock goes down a little more. It'll be a huge buying opportunity. And, let's check back on Mr. Gauna a year from now.

Good call. This Alex dude is using 200-days moving averages how lame ... AAPL has been appreciating better than any tech stocks and he's using outdated moving averages to do his forecast ... sad .... when AAPL hits $400 at year-end, the 200 days moving averages would still be in the 200's .... what a moron.
  • Reply 33 of 46
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

JMP Securities downgraded its outlook on AAPL stock on Wednesday, with the change prompted by a deceleration in manufacturing at Foxconn. ...

"(Foxconn) growth decelerated from 84% (year over year) in the month of December to 37% in January and then again to 26% in February, or levels that are tracking well below the (more than) 70% (year over year) sales growth consensus is looking for in the March quarter, and (greater than) 50% in June," the analysis reads.

Maybe they could look at the weather to predict Apples growth.

Figure 2. blue represents the banana production in Brazil?

J.
  • Reply 34 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

You should have used the emoticon. Several people believed you.
  • Reply 35 of 46
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Another Anal-ist being over dramatic! What's even more stupid is everyone in the stock market actually believes this CLOWN!!!!
  • Reply 36 of 46

Who the heck is this guy!

One OEM factory slow down and down grade a company?

I might have to wait 1 month for a ipad 2 and by the time I got it,

I may need to wait another two month for a iphone 5.

News from Hong Kong that the first 100 ipad 2 (from grey market) sold US$1,300

and iphone 4 still back order!!

On the street, teenager has to be careful not letting their iphone 4 robbed (used iphone can still sell for US$700.

Apple products is in HIGH demand in China! Just China alone can sell over 5 million ipads.
  • Reply 37 of 46
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Let's hope the stock goes down a little more. It'll be a huge buying opportunity. And, let's check back on Mr. Gauna a year from now.

Your wish is coming true today. What is that 20 point is two days so far. All the markets are taking a beating because the media keeps hyping this reactor story. Not saying its not a bad thing but they make it sound like its going to meltdown and show up in NYC. Freaking nut jobs in Calif were taking iodine pills.
  • Reply 38 of 46
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This would be an opportune time for Apple to buy AAPL.
  • Reply 39 of 46
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NOFEER View Post

how about this, the slow down is for all things NON APPLE

we have already seen decrease in netbooks and non apple laptops since ipad

also foxconn employs more than most large cities its massive

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cy_starkman View Post

That was all a bit muddled as an article or maybe the report.

Regardless this is or will be the next challenge to Apple growing. Being able to produce enough devices. I'd say it is the problem and has been for 12 months.

Besides, foxconn has become too important. Every company is giving away the keys. Designs, production techniques... Foxconn could easily become its own CE brand and screw all of them.

I wrote it earlier, apple, innovate manufacturing.

The quality of the analyst's report aside (it's very superficial as many have noted and doesn't even allude to many important variables), the discussion of Foxconn in general raises two questions to me.

The first is already alluded to above, i.e., when will Foxconn use all of its accumulated production experience to start competing directly with some or all of these companies it's a subcontractor for, knowing everything it does about all of their designs, processes, etc.? And theft (and near theft) of intellectual property in the "new China" is no more news these days than dog bites man.

I think "when" is a better word than "if," as this has happened with US industries and Asian suppliers many (many) times before since WWII, after all, and as noted by NOFEER, Foxconn is not exactly without some heft.

And second, since Apple's superior build quality to most of the other companies mentioned as FC clients is well-known (and constantly discussed here), how ironic is it that many of their products are all assembled in the same "shop" (yes I know Foxconn has many plants and separate production lines - but they are one company).

I mean, seriously, how does this work, i.e., slap-dash hash work on cheap Dells and precision, high-quality finishing on Macs? Is the difference all in the parts bin and original design specs, or do they actually put more focus on the Apple assembly lines? Or is there less diff in build quality than we actually think?
  • Reply 40 of 46
    eideardeideard Posts: 428member
    So, uh, none of you lot actually own enough AAPL or FXCNY to track what really is happening with either firm, eh?

FoxConn is moving through the process of picking up a Chinese government subsidy and other perks to build additional facilities in western China and hire another 200,000 employees.

Yup - sounds really slow.