Display expert says iPad 2 LCD nearly as good as iPhone 4

Comments

• Reply 61 of 82
    Umm so I actually went and checked one out when I was getting my wife's iphone replaced for a second time and this article is.....

Horseshiiiiite.

Sorry the two are not even close. Also the camera on that iPad 2...SUCKS. It is a grainy pixel fest.
  • Reply 62 of 82
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I don't see Apple doing anything with anti-aliasing. If anti-aliasing is added or improved, customers wont' be as inclined to buy the next generation iPad with its retina display.
  • Reply 63 of 82
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    If we agree that the significantly higher ppi in the retina display really does matter, then how about the difference between 6 bit per color displays vs 8 bit per color displays? Or TN vs IPS displays? There was a while, and maybe still today, when Mac users claimed these things don't matter.
  • Reply 64 of 82
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Irregardless (chew onthat grammar nazis)

what does "irregardless" mean?
  • Reply 65 of 82
    willrobwillrob Posts: 203member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

Same here, but even then I may not buy one. Why can't I attach files to an email from Apple's default email program? Let's take pictures for example. I can't reply and attach something to an email chain. No, I have to open the photo app first, browse for the pic and then choose share, which creates a whole new email. Dumb. Granted this is an iOS limitation and not an iPad limitation, but it's still basic functionality.

I guess I am one of those who has no need for a tablet. I'll stick to my trusty 17" MacBook Pro.

You can copy/paste a photo into an email. Press your finger on the image until the copy balloon comes up; tap the word copy so it turns blue. Go back to your email and hit reply and paste the image in.
  • Reply 66 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by willrob View Post

You can copy/paste a photo into an email. Press your finger on the image until the copy balloon comes up; tap the word copy so it turns blue. Go back to your email and hit reply and paste the image in.

What I said earlier
  • Reply 67 of 82
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I have to ask if you reached that conclusion based on the AI article, or if you read the original article?

In the original, the author states clearly in the introdcution: [...]

But of course, AI didn't include that in their article. They selectively quoted only those juicy bits that would set off the faithful into furious rants. The original article was about defending Apple's use of a lower density display and not using a Retina Display in the iPad 2. And his conclusion is that Apple did, in fact, use a very good display in the iPad 2.

And then in the results he says: [...]

And you somehow reach the conclusion that he has a chip on is shoulder against Apple?

Actually, the conclusion was largely based on his earlier nonsense regarding the "retina display". But, I may have been wrong. It seems his "inane ramblings" extend to other products as well, so it may just be that he's seeking attention because he's feeling overlooked and undervalued in his career, or to compensate for some other feeling of inadequacy.
  • Reply 68 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

It means "not without regard".
  • Reply 69 of 82
    Get more ipads!!!!!!
  • Reply 70 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Spot on. This is the same prat who did the biased hatchet job on the Nexus One saying it only had a 16 bit display, when in fact the tard was only measuring the bit density used by an App. Why AI continue to quote this boof heads inane ramblings is beyond me.

I think YOU'RE the IDI*T!!!!

You, another Apple hater worhtless geek out to bash anything Apple related just because the phandroid geekdom is losing to Apple on ALL fronts!!!!!

Now with the verizon iPhone, lets see how the geek tech journalists try to skew the numbers about androids fictitious lead now???? How will they lie, cheat, bite, claw and steal numbers in every dying effort to show android is somehow hanging on while Apple destroys it when numbers are taken into account!!!!!!

And now this iPad 2 revolution is STOMPING the tablet competition!!!!! On every front also!!!!! EVERYONE with a working brain has clearly hands down labled the iPad 2 the tablet of the year!!!!!!! And the best tablet on the market!!!! Except you, and a few other phandroid geeks crying in your corner amongst yourselves because android simply just CANNOT compete!!!!
  • Reply 71 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

If your point is that you add no value to the discussion, I would agree.

I have no idea what you are prattling on about or what you think you are dismissing but I own and am very happy with the original iPad. Irregardless (chew onthat grammar nazis) of my ownership, like/dislike, technical feasability or other contrived "objections" the fact is the iPad would benefit from a higher resolution display.

That doesn't mean the iPad 2 is a flop either.

Talk about people getting defensive and their panties in a bunch over nothing...

Boy, you really are a df. I own an original iPad too and am quite happy with it. I also believe the iPad would benefit from a higher res display. Please refrain from commenting until you reach age 6 or achieve an IQ greater than a cat.
  • Reply 72 of 82
    I planned to buy the iPad 2 as soon as it was released, but luckily looked at one before making the purchase, because I would have been returning it. It is amazingly thin, light, and fast, but the screen is terrible compared to the iPhone 4's retina display. I wanted the iPad first and foremost for PDF's to assist with doing research instead of wasting paper printing hundreds of pages or having them open in a second window on the computer, but after looking at the texts of a few samples in iBooks and downloading some of my own PDF's I couldn't even consider making the purchase.. Even the text in Pages is not usable in my opinion it gives me a headache..

Maybe next year I'll be able to make the leap. \
  • Reply 73 of 82
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

It means "not without regard".

Actually, irregardless = regardless. It does not mean not regardless (and therefore does not mean "not without regard")

Yes, that's an incorrect use if the prefix "ir", but most references now accept that irregardless = regardless.
  • Reply 74 of 82
    "Display Expert" ... yeah right.
  • Reply 75 of 82
    cmvsmcmvsm Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm waiting for iPad 3 before any upgrade. The current DPI is just brutal. I struggle to do any reading on an iPad as text looks truly dreadful unless blown up to jumbo sizes.

Hopefully by next year GPUs will have improved enough to allow a doubling of the DPI while retaining the same or better performance.

Love it when these kind of exaggerations appear. Unless you have a sensitive eye condition of some kind, the iPad at 132 pixels per inch, is very close to the Kindle DX at 150 pixels per inch, and its made for reading books and not much else.

Your eye conditions shouldn't factor into commentary.
  • Reply 76 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Actually, irregardless = regardless. It does not mean not regardless (and therefore does not mean "not without regard")

Yes, that's an incorrect use if the prefix "ir", but most references now accept that irregardless = regardless.

Only among those who say 'noocyoolar'.
  • Reply 77 of 82
    kotatsukotatsu Posts: 1,010member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cmvsm View Post

Love it when these kind of exaggerations appear. Unless you have a sensitive eye condition of some kind, the iPad at 132 pixels per inch, is very close to the Kindle DX at 150 pixels per inch, and its made for reading books and not much else.

Your eye conditions shouldn't factor into commentary.

I wouldn't read on a Kindle either.
  • Reply 78 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

I'm waiting for iPad 3 before any upgrade. The current DPI is just brutal. I struggle to do any reading on an iPad as text looks truly dreadful unless blown up to jumbo sizes.

Hopefully by next year GPUs will have improved enough to allow a doubling of the DPI while retaining the same or better performance.

I think you just might need glasses I can read on mine just fine. the display is much better just put a ipad and a ipad 2 next to each other.

Don
  • Reply 79 of 82
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Davis0042 View Post

I think you just might need glasses I can read on mine just fine. the display is much better just put a ipad and a ipad 2 next to each other.

Don

If he can't read an iPad2 display then I'm surprised he can ready ANY computer display. The iPad and iPad2 have 132DPI, a 27" iMac has less at 109DPI. A cheapo monitor you might get in an office may have as low as 96 or even 72!

I think he's just being incredibly nit-picky over something. Maybe he forgot to zoom in?
  • Reply 80 of 82
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple 1984 View Post

Please refrain from commenting until you reach age 6 or achieve an IQ greater than a cat.

I just love the deliciously ironic posts in here - thanks for the