First Look: Apple's iPad 2

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    vrkiranvrkiran Posts: 110member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dacloo View Post

This article read like an advertisement. Like Steve wrote it himself.

Anyway....

"While the new Smart Covers don't "protect" the back, that's partly a feature"

WTF? Try to drop your iPad on the floor accidentely and see how good the 'feature' works!

:-) AI should seriously reconsider their total devotion strategy a little bit.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Anyway....

WTF? Try to drop your iPad on the floor accidentely and see how good the 'feature' works!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Clearly the Smart Cover isn?t designed for overall protection. I don?t even know how this fact could escape the two of you.
  • Reply 23 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

Got mine this morning, even though it was supposed to (according to the FedEx web page) arrive Friday.

Oh. My. God. I love it. I spent most of the day downloading apps and playing with it, and it STILL has something like 37% battery. It's amazing. The apps are great. I've been rockin' out on Garage Band ... how fun!

I've never bought anything so much fun in my life.

I never felt that way about iPad 1, but it's understandable with iPad 2. Speed, RAM and weight are the three most important things with an iPad, the fact that it's thinner is a bonus.
  • Reply 24 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Clearly the Smart Cover isn’t designed for overall protection. I don’t even know how this fact could escape the two of you.

Who said it escaped us?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Joshua-Topolsky

But of course, there's more to the iPad than just a screen, and our test device actually got a nasty scratch on the back because there was nothing there to protect it. We love the convenience of the Smart Cover and the way it looks, but if you're seriously concerned about the entire iPad (and not just the display), you might want to check out other options.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/09/ipad-2-review/

• Reply 25 of 78
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uguysrnuts View Post

I think that aluminum back will wear or scratch eventually. Here are a couple of possibilities:

Smartcover+Zagg back invisible shield or

Speck's Pixelskin HD Wrap

http://www.speckproducts.com/tablet-...ase-black.html

I don't understand the obsession with protecting the iPad/iPhone. IF you are afraid of dropping the thing, or if, like me you have young kids with zero respect for xaddy's treasured toys, then yes, perhaps. But the thing looks beautiful. It is ridiculously thin. So why would you want to cover it up and make it all fat and bloated. If it gets scratched it will still be beautiful. If it is all nice an shiny but covered up, then what's the point? For me the ip4 is a thing of beauty. With the bumper it is fugly. With a cover it is bulky. I prefer to live with the scratches.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

If it gets scratched it will still be beautiful. If it is all nice an shiny but covered up, then what's the point? For me the iP4 is a thing of beauty. With the bumper it is fugly. With a cover it is bulky. I prefer to live with the scratches.

WTF kind of argument is that? The whole point of people mentioning The Invisible Shield is you get the best of both worlds. Ideally the thing should be both beautiful and scratch-proof. It's not a concern for Apple though - as is plainly obvious when you see the scratch-magnet that is the iPod (touch and Classic). They want you to end up wanting the new model when your old one is left all scratched.
  • Reply 27 of 78
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:

Anyway....

Apple are incapable of advertising their own products effectively so DED does it for them.

Oh, wait, no... Apple are great at marketing. It's almost like DED is wasting his time...
  • Reply 28 of 78
    Quote:

I don't understand the obsession with protecting the iPad/iPhone. IF you are afraid of dropping the thing, or if, like me you have young kids with zero respect for xaddy's treasured toys, then yes, perhaps. But the thing looks beautiful. It is ridiculously thin. So why would you want to cover it up and make it all fat and bloated. If it gets scratched it will still be beautiful. If it is all nice an shiny but covered up, then what's the point? For me the ip4 is a thing of beauty. With the bumper it is fugly. With a cover it is bulky. I prefer to live with the scratches.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger- BTW, some of us do have kids. Also, this thing gets tossed in a bag along with other crap from home to work and vice versa.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by vrkiran View Post

Good for you man, the world really needs happy people!!

Thanks!

Quote:

I never felt that way about iPad 1, but it's understandable with iPad 2. Speed, RAM and weight are the three most important things with an iPad, the fact that it's thinner is a bonus.

I decided, when iPad1 came out, that I would wait until version 2. And I am totally happy with this purchase. And I can't believe how cool reading is on it. There are TONS of free books. It's a blast.
  • Reply 30 of 78
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AaronJ View Post

I decided, when iPad1 came out, that I would wait until version 2. And I am totally happy with this purchase. And I can't believe how cool reading is on it. There are TONS of free books. It's a blast.

Having owned an iPad from the beginning I can honestly say I'd never read a book on it. When it comes to "books", as in novels, give me real paper books any day, or as a last-resort, my Kindle 3. I love e-ink with a passion, but the Kindle hardware is crap and the display at 6" is far too small. Even the smaller paper books measure 8" corner-to-corner. And that paper is all screen.

I am mad-jelous you have an iPad 2 and I don't though. I sold my iPad 1 a few weeks ago, like a sly little fox
  • Reply 31 of 78
    The iPad is expensive. The new cover looks cute but it is only for iPads that remain inside your home. It would do almost nothing to protect it from being inside a back pack or from a fall.

Due to an injury my hands don't work well at gripping things. I would definitely buy some type of case with padding that could protect it from a fall.
  • Reply 32 of 78
    aaronjaaronj Posts: 1,595member
    Quote:

Having owned an iPad from the beginning I can honestly say I'd never read a book on it. When it comes to "books", as in novels, give me real paper books any day, or as a last-resort, my Kindle 3. I love e-ink with a passion, but the Kindle hardware is crap and the display at 6" is far too small. Even the smaller paper books measure 8" corner-to-corner. And that paper is all screen.

I am mad-jelous you have an iPad 2 and I don't though. I sold my iPad 1 a few weeks ago, like a sly little fox

I've been reading mostly poetry, Dickinson and Dante, so it's a bit different than a novel. I did d/l a few novels though, so we'll have to see.

So far, I've loved all the different aspects -- flipping the pages of iBooks, turning though magazines, playing around with Garage Band, trying to figure out how the Twitter app works , messing around with Netflix ... all of it.
  • Reply 33 of 78
    jonamacjonamac Posts: 388member
    Quote:

I agree. I think people are a little overly concerned with this when it comes to Apple products.

They look so beautiful that people just want to keep them that way. It's a little irrational as by the time it shows meaningful wear, you'll be replacing it. Is anyone still using a 2005 MacBook because they spent good money on a great case for it? If you are still using it, would you really hate a scuff or two on such an old thing?

I keep my MbP in an InCase shell a lot of the time, but that's because it offers genuine protection to real damage that might be caused by careless impacts when out on a job with it as I use it professionally, and because I know the potential resale value of my MacBook is significant.

If it's an iPad, just use it and love it. Who cares about a couple of tiny scuffs on the aluminium back after 2 years of enjoyment? I completely understand why people do care, but I just try to let that feeling go and enjoy using the device.

One thing I've noticed with my iPhone 4 is that the new glass is hard to scratch. If the iPad is the same glass, then this cover would seem a little unnecessary, although it's VERY cool! It does offer good usability as a stand though, and adds some personality to the device.

I haven't held an iPad 2 yet as I'm in the UK, where I'll have to pay twice as much as you guys in a few months when it's finally available (the entire British public knows it won't be buyable next Friday, but Apple likes to think 2 weeks is enough to break the back of US demand :S), but I have to say I really don't think the curved sockets look Apple quality. Leaving parts of the connectors bare just looks bad. I'm a little surprised they did that.
  • Reply 34 of 78
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    I thoroughly enjoy reading on the iPad(1 or 2). To me, comparing it to an e-reader such as the Kindle is like comparing a hardcover with a paperback, at least insofar as form factor goes. Sure, E-ink and LCD give you different looks. But you get used to either after a while, except it would be nice to have color on the Kindle.

I also do not understand the point of criticizing the Smartcover for not protecting the back. If you want to protect the back, get a different cover. Apple never suggested the Smartcover was the be all and end all. Also, the paranoia about the aluminum back wearing out is ignorant. Unless you are sanding it down, there is no possible way you can truly wear out the back. Scratching it is a different story. Anodized aluminum does scratch over time. But so do the Macbooks. Does everyone cover the top and bottom of their Macbook? Well, probably some of you do. Ewwwww!
  • Reply 35 of 78
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

The iPad is expensive.

That's why 5 of the 6 iPad 2 models are less expensive than the Motorola Xoom which is its nearest competitor. That's why most competitors are selling 7" tablets for the same price as Apple's 10" tablet.
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Quote:

Dude, why do you even bother with technology at all, you are obviously happier when you don't use it.

I'm a book collector and have at various times worked in publishing and retail, I have a collection of tens of thousands of books but ...

... the second I got an iPad I wished I could digitise the lot of them. Reading books on a device as opposed to the old paper copies is far easier and you can carry a lot more of them around with you. I got three books for Christmas this year and before Boxing Day was over I was looking for them online so I could download them and read them more comfortably on the iPad.

Sometimes newer is just better. I don't think anyone is really going to miss the paper-based book once they get used to the alternative.

I'm already thinking of building a book scanner in the basement so that I can preserve my huge collection of books for the future because most of them are going to turn to dust shortly after I pass away and no one is going to read them if they aren't digitised at some point.
  • Reply 37 of 78
    k.c.k.c. Posts: 60member
    I need a full cover and once I put my iPad in the cover I never took it back out.

I really don't care what the back of the damn thing looks like because I use the front.
  • Reply 38 of 78
    sennensennen Posts: 1,472member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

I also do not understand the point of criticizing the Smartcover for not protecting the back. If you want to protect the back, get a different cover. Apple never suggested the Smartcover was the be all and end all.

Well said. Some people like to complain about anything and everything.
  • Reply 39 of 78
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Anyway....

There is not a practical cover that will "protect" your iPad if you drop it on the floor. Maybe you should put it in a briefcase bigger than a notebook computer in case you drop it.

There's no affordable insurance for being a moron. If you can't manage not to drop things, don't buy electronics. What kind of hyper-protective case do you need for your keyboard, watch, notebook, remote control, glasses, ect.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    archosarchos Posts: 152member
    Quote:

Exactly. It's just a big iPod touch

It's like a big quarter, because it's made of metal. It's just bigger and not round.