Owners of Apple's new MacBook Pros report issues with iTunes Home Sharing

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by haruhiko View Post

Use of Intel's flawed chipset despite the problematic SATA ports not being in use;

Explain that.
  • Reply 22 of 34
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    I gave up on streaming from my laptop, not for tech reasons, but because my laptop state is not always ready-on. It might be sleeping, closed, or laying in the living room not plugged in.

To solve, I purchased a mini, plugged in a huge drive and I store my data there.

On the road, I just drag a few movies over to the desktop and wala.
  • Reply 23 of 34
    rjbrucerjbruce Posts: 45member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The problem will be solve once Apple get hold of the MB pro with this kind of problem.

Looks like finding fault with Apple products is the norm and the first thing to do and whine .

Thank you for your insightful comment. I didn't realize a problem affecting so many people was our problem, and that Apple would address it without it being report....err...whining.

Apple is a company that makes great products with great customer service. This doesn't mean they won't have problems only that they will likely be dealt with in an expeditious manner. My personal opinion is Apple fan boys are one of Apple's greatest adversaries when it comes to product image. You can enjoy/love your product without coming across as a jerk. No need to insult the consumer because a brand new product has a bug.

I would go even further to say that the several revisions of 10.6.7 with "no changes" likely has a fix, as it would represent no changes from the common 10.6.6 build, whereas folks with the 2011 have a special build of the aforementioned software.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdamC View Post

The problem will be solve once Apple get hold of the MB pro with this kind of problem.

Looks like finding fault with Apple products is the norm and the first thing to do and whine .

Pathetic.
  • Reply 25 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rjbruce View Post

Thank you for your insightful comment. I didn't realize a problem affecting so many people was our problem, and that Apple would address it without it being report....err...whining.

Apple is a company that makes great products with great customer service. This doesn't mean they won't have problems only that they will likely be dealt with in an expeditious manner. My personal opinion is Apple fan boys are one of Apple's greatest adversaries when it comes to product image. You can enjoy/love your product without coming across as a jerk. No need to insult the consumer because a brand new product has a bug.

I would go even further to say that the several revisions of 10.6.7 with "no changes" likely has a fix, as it would represent no changes from the common 10.6.6 build, whereas folks with the 2011 have a special build of the aforementioned software.

While I agree that people with a problem should report it to Apple, the entire sensationalistic tone of articles like this is loony.

Every piece of hardware has some problems. This particular problem has been reported with older systems and with newer systems, so it's hard to blame it entirely on the hardware. For many people, simply restarting iTunes fixes it.

But forums like this (and news media) jump in with stories sounding like the Apocalypse is near. I love the way they talk about "200 posts to Apple support forums". What they fail to mention is that of those 200 posts, the typical breakdown is:

3 people reported having a probe

57 people said "I don't have a problem"

40 people accused the people who have a problem of being 'androids'

60 people accuse the others of being Apple shills

30 posts are simple 'Apple sucks' posts

10 posts are completely unrelated to the issue
  • Reply 26 of 34
    samwellsamwell Posts: 78member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

While I agree that people with a problem should report it to Apple, the entire sensationalistic tone of articles like this is loony.

Every piece of hardware has some problems. This particular problem has been reported with older systems and with newer systems, so it's hard to blame it entirely on the hardware. For many people, simply restarting iTunes fixes it.

But forums like this (and news media) jump in with stories sounding like the Apocalypse is near. I love the way they talk about "200 posts to Apple support forums". What they fail to mention is that of those 200 posts, the typical breakdown is:

Pathetic.
  • Reply 27 of 34
    mknoppmknopp Posts: 257member
    I haven't tried the home sharing yet with my iPad and don't have an Apple TV. However, I have used the home sharing to stream music from my old 2006 C2D MacBook to my new 2011 MacBook Pro with no problem.

I am wondering if it isn't some issue between iTunes and the 2011 MacBook Pro. What I have experienced is several issues playing video. When I try to play TV episodes purchased through iTunes within iTunes they appear as a jumbled mess of randomly colored blocks. When I play the exact same video through Quicktime it plays just fine.
  • Reply 28 of 34
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

....But forums like this (and news media) jump in with stories sounding like the Apocalypse is near. I love the way they talk about "200 posts to Apple support forums". What they fail to mention is that of those 200 posts, the typical breakdown is:

HaHa! So true!

I use a 6-year old PowerMac G5 Dual to stream video to my ATV1. I purchased the ATV2 in December for a second room, and have noticed a lot of problems connecting to it. With ATV1, the movie list is usually there when I switch to the ATV on my home theater. With ATV2, it ALWAYS has to load the movie list, which takes forever, before I can use it. When doing this, it frequently stops after several minutes and claims there are no movies.

I leave my Mac on 24/7, and it never sleeps, so the connection should not be getting interrupted.

Other than the size and lack of heat, I have been completely unimpressed with ATV2 over ATV1. The worst thing about the ATV1 was the cheap plastic remote, which never really worked very well. You keep pushing the buttons, the light blinks on the ATV, but nothing happens. Thankfully, the Remote App on the iPhone works Great!
  • Reply 29 of 34
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member
    is this a Mac only feature? doesn't work with my ipad 2 and Win7 ultimate
  • Reply 30 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    I DID A CLEAN RE INSTALL 3X

and most SW app are fast and fine

except for

Aperture

FinalCut Pro

and a few bad permissions

like i just bought a apple movie 5 minutes ago from itunes and my new MBP

and it now says i can't play it

I need permission

error type 11

feels like 1998 all over again

anyway talking to teck apple experts who don't know much is fun

peace 9
  • Reply 31 of 34
    I purchased the 13 in mbp with the i5. I had taken my pc into the apple store to have files transfered mainly for Itunes. However when I had tried to listen to music on the mbp I was promted that the original files could not be found. I called applecare & they walked me though setting up home share and doing the transfere again.

No-go, except now all of the music files from my orginal pc are giving me the same prompt.

I called apple care again. I spoke to 4 different people, ended up with the Supervisor of the tech department, he spent 2.5 hours trying to find my files..on both computers. We were only able to find 400 of 1200 songs!! Not only this but we were not able to do homeshare to transfer the 400 songs that we did find.

I am upset & with this being my first time owning a mac I can fully understand why people are returning them. What kind of dissapearing act is going to be next???
  • Reply 32 of 34
    dxdapddxdapd Posts: 1member
    I have been using iTunes home sharing from my Vista PC and apple tv 2nd generation since Nov. 2010. It was working well up until new year 2010/2011, however, after an iTunes upgrade it became unstable. The past month or so it has not been working at all.

Lately I have been using airplay in the absence of the working home sharing feature, but since the recent iTunes update, airplay is not working too well either (seems to work for music but not movies). I will do more investigation on this over the weekend, though.

I find it really annoying that this feature is so unstable - once it stops working there's very little you can do to find out what's going on. It seems like the two systems get out of sync and somehow can figure out to restore by itself - even if I disable the feature in both ends and try to set it up from scratch it doesn't come up. Since I haven't changed anything on my network settings for a log time I'm pretty sure that Apple have been changing something in the home sharing feature that is not co-operating with my setup - however, the support/trouble shooting available is on a very general level and doesn't resolve my problem at all.

Also I'm a little curious whether it is related to the fact that I'm using iTunes on a Windows Vista PC and not a Mac.
  • Reply 33 of 34
    pauliopaulio Posts: 1member
    I also ran into that problem. I now use the wifi2hifi app (http://www.wifi2hifi.com). It has all the audio home sharing features and works with any type of notebook and iOS device.
  • Reply 34 of 34
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paulio View Post

I also ran into that problem. I now use the wifi2hifi app (http://www.wifi2hifi.com). It has all the audio home sharing features and works with any type of notebook and iOS device.

home sharing means apple tv ???

i am using APPLE TV RIGHT NOW .

cross you fingers ????

peace