$500 target slapped on Apple as iPad seen dominating $120B tablet market by 2015

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Goodies: Apple has demonstrated huge growth in past 7 yrs, the current PE ratio is at the low end compare with its history, PEG ratio is low (around 0.7 according to Bloomberg), has pile of cash (around 80 by end of year), momentum/market share of all it's product line (except iPod) is strong, etc.

However, from institutional investors aspects, these reasons may not be good enough; Apple's market is already close to "too large", meaning PE compression seems inevitable (same for all growth stocks which turn into more mature business), all funds are perhaps already over-weight apple, and there are other good names that are value at much lower PE (Take HP as example). From a fund manager aspects, apple is already at the top, the challenge is to stay at the top - thus the surprise are more likely from the downside not upside - u can actually observe this mentality that apple share price over-react on the negative news and under-react on the positive news during the last 12 months.

From a lot of fund managers aspects (I believe) Apple real entry of barrier is the miracle create by Steve Jobs that somehow he manages and motivates the apple team to achieve continuous innovation in both existing and new product categories. Now that's the issue : Steve Job's health.

My judgement is, unless we see the entire tech sector are going to be re-rated up (unlikely in near term) or somehow there are huge new money flowing in the tech sector (hey we are already mid-way in QE2 and rates expectation in coming 2 yrs is up!) it's going to be tough for any institutional investors adding positions on this Apple.

Now that it doesn't mean everyone should get out of the position now, it just means (1) Time of entry is important coz the stock will likely trending upward but trades within pretty large range and/or (2) It may be a better trade to put on short-put positions or buy-write positions. The goal of longing apple perhaps is not to enjoy a huge upside (I think 500 target is a bit optimistic - u can do the math on how large apple will be if IT REALLY is a 500 stock), but just looking for relative out-performance to the general tech sector AS LONG AS it still delivers the investors expectations on Apple's innovations.

Look at RIM/MSFT/Intel/Dell, see what happens to it's PE when they stopped surprising the institutions. There is no mercy/emotion in institutional holdings at most time, they can sell the shit out of the positions when they see fit. Their love is on their relative performance and thus their career and bonus, not as a share holder of Apple.

Just my 10 cents.
  • Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

You have over 1.2 million dollars worth of APPL in your folio? And you advertise this in a forum?

He's not advertising. He's bragging.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,717member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

It's "LOSE" not "LOOSE"

Yeah. What a looser.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    recrec Posts: 217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Don't get me wrong, if you're gonna brag that might be the thing to brag about =)
  • Reply 45 of 47
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dickprinter View Post

Price targets are 12 months out, unless otherwise stated.

You'll be hard-pressed to find an authoritative financial definition that specifies a 12-month timeframe, or any fixed timeframe for that matter. By and large, sell side analysts post their target price based on current information - where they believe the stock price will reach an optimum level and a present-day investor might sell and lock in gains. New information constantly affects a company's ongoing prospects, however, which is the principal impetus for analysts to revise their target prices up or down from time to time.

Unless an analyst specifically states a timeframe - 12 months or any other period - investors are making an unwarranted assumption to their possible detriment.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    Options traders and investors parking their money in short-term bonds is killing AAPL near term. Hopefully normalcy will return soon... and before the options players beat the stock down to 300 or 250 (which has had increase calls).
  • Reply 47 of 47
    dickprinterdickprinter Posts: 1,060member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

You wouldn't think I was bragging if you got in at the same time as I did.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by REC View Post

Don't get me wrong, if you're gonna brag that might be the thing to brag about =)

Just happy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

You'll be hard-pressed to find an authoritative financial definition that specifies a 12-month timeframe, or any fixed timeframe for that matter. By and large, sell side analysts post their target price based on current information - where they believe the stock price will reach an optimum level and a present-day investor might sell and lock in gains. New information constantly affects a company's ongoing prospects, however, which is the principal impetus for analysts to revise their target prices up or down from time to time.

Unless an analyst specifically states a timeframe - 12 months or any other period - investors are making an unwarranted assumption to their possible detriment.

"A target price for a stock is a figure published by a securities industry person, usually an analyst. The idea is that the target price is a prediction, a guess about where the stock is headed. Target prices usually are associated with a date by which the stock is expected to hit the target (Invest FAQ). The normal practice is specifying 12 months."

http://knol.google.com/k/target-pric...t-and-utility#