RIM's iPad-competing BlackBerry PlayBook will launch for $499 on April 19

Comments

• Reply 61 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No it doesn't. At most, competition may, but doesn't necessarily, drive improvement. (Sometimes, it drives the opposite -- the race to the bottom.) By definition it can't drive innovation, since something new has no competition.

actually, competition does drive innovation... innovation, in this case, by Apple.
  • Reply 62 of 121
    samabsamab Posts: 1,953member
    The FCC docs showed that RIM put in a slightly bigger battery --- it's now 5400 mah (instead of 5300 mah that was originally announced).

I think battery life is going to be fine, or else they won't have just increase the battery size by only 2%.
  • Reply 63 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

There are probably at least 100,000 Apple hating BB corporate IT DHs that will buy it whether they need a tablet or not. But that won't even come close to breaking even for RIM.

What's a DH?
  • Reply 64 of 121
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by samab View Post

The FCC docs showed that RIM put in a slightly bigger battery --- it's now 5400 mah (instead of 5300 mah that was originally announced).

I think battery life is going to be fine, or else they won't have just increase the battery size by only 2%.

I don?t think that is a sound argument. They still have to work within comfortable size and weight for use. Maybe 2% was the maximum they were able to increase the battery without negatively affecting the feel of the physical product.
  • Reply 65 of 121
    yuniverseyuniverse Posts: 115member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I completely agree that competition can be good for innovation, sometimes the opposite is more true - innovation is good for competition. And that's the more relevant rule where Apple is involved. It is Apple's own innovation in iPods, iPhones and iPads (prior to any worthy competition) that raised the bar in the market. There is no meaningful competition pushing them - merely potential competition that keeps falling short and confirming to Steve jobs that Apple is on the right track. So if you think Apple needs to be reminded they're on the right track, then yes, competition is a good thing. Otherwise, the competition has merely been a byproduct of Apple's innovation.

The Playbook having a smaller screen but being the same price as the iPad is a perfect example of confirming to Apple to keep doing what it's doing. If iPad weren't already so far in the lead then Blackberry could justify that price in other ways - but that's not the case.

I like your post better than my own.

• Reply 66 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

What's a DH?

DaHarder? Is he buying all the Playbooks RiM can make? That guy!
  • Reply 67 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I don?t think that is a sound argument. They still have to work within comfortable size and weight for use. Maybe 2% was the maximum they were able to increase the battery without negatively affecting the feel of the physical product.

The weight got 25 grams heavier. It was originally 400g, now it is 425g in the FCC docs.

You are right that there may be other factors involved --- but RIM was bashed on the battery issue so much that I think if there was a genuine battery life problem, they would have take the battery life issue priority over the depth size and weight.
  • Reply 68 of 121
    I know this is OT for this thread...

I posted this to the end of a dead thread -- this one is active

Hey Dudes ad Dudas,

We just got 2 iPad 2s...

While the SmartCover is nice, it doesn't provide the protection that we have with Apple Cases for the iPad 1...

We've dropped the iPad 1s several times without incident -- the unattractive seam, around the edge of the Apple Case, provides an excellent cushion for falls.

What would you recommend for a 15-year-old girl (other than a Convent) and a harried mother of 3 teenagers (other than an asylum)?

Any suggestions will be appreciated!

TIA,

Dick

P.S. On Topic:

I haven't heard/read anything about AIR apps on the PlayBook recently -- AIR/Flash was, supposedly, one reason that the PlayBook needed 1 GB RAM.

It was supposed to provide much of the PlayBook UI and a base for installing loads of existing AIR apps.

Anyone hear anything?

• Reply 69 of 121
    Quote:

The weight got 25 grams heavier. It was originally 400g, now it is 425g in the FCC docs.

You are right that there may be other factors involved --- but RIM was bashed on the battery issue so much that I think if there was a genuine battery life problem, they would have take the battery life issue priority over the depth size and weight.

That backs up my argument. The raised over 6% and they were only able to increase the battery by 2%. I think that have made it better but I don?t think it could come close to a non-Flash UI for the same HW. Then you include whatever extraction layers for running Android apps in C and Java and you get even worse performance.
  • Reply 70 of 121
    QNX has put flash on 20 million cars and cars have a lot less CPU power and a lot less RAM than the tablets out there.

Web designers are web designers --- if they put in a "1 minute to load" splash page with h.264 flash video, then they are also going to put in a "1 minute to load" splash page with webm html5 video. The big problem is that webm ain't optimize much with hardware acceleration like h.264 flash video. You can see it if you have an old pc and you watch the same youtube video in both flash and webm formats --- the flash video is much smoother.
  • Reply 71 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

That backs up my argument. The raised over 6% and they were only able to increase the battery by 2%. I think that have made it better but I don?t think it could come close to a non-Flash UI for the same HW. Then you include whatever extraction layers for running Android apps in C and Java and you get even worse performance.

20 million cars have QNX with Flash UI --- and they usually have something like a 300-400mhz powerpc chip.
  • Reply 72 of 121
    banchobancho Posts: 1,517member
    Quote:

20 million cars have QNX with Flash UI --- and they usually have something like a 300-400mhz powerpc chip.

And in that context, battery life isn't remotely the concern that it is in a tablet.
  • Reply 73 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bancho View Post

And in that context, battery life isn't remotely the concern that it is in a tablet.

Battery life is determined by CPU-usage. If the QNX CAR can have Flash UI running on a 300-400mhz powerpc cpu, then it is NOT going to suck massive CPU cycles on a dual ghz CPU.
  • Reply 74 of 121
    Quote:

QNX has put flash on 20 million cars and cars have a lot less CPU power and a lot less RAM than the tablets out there.

Web designers are web designers --- if they put in a "1 minute to load" splash page with h.264 flash video, then they are also going to put in a "1 minute to load" splash page with webm html5 video. The big problem is that webm ain't optimize much with hardware acceleration like h.264 flash video. You can see it if you have an old pc and you watch the same youtube video in both flash and webm formats --- the flash video is much smoother.

Quote:

20 million cars have 1 each very large battery and 1 each alternator/generator charging the battery while the car and Flash UI are in use.

A vehicle provides mobility -- it is not a mobile device!

Are you suggesting something like this as an auxiliary battery to allow the PlayBook to run Flash?

Mmmm....

Maybe Macromedia was prophetic in selecting the name Flash -- as in "your mobile battery power is gone in a Flash!"

• Reply 75 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

20 million cars have 1 each very large battery and 1 each alternator/generator charging the battery while the car Flash UI are in use.

A vehicle provides mobility -- it is not a mobile device!

Are you suggesting something like this as an auxiliary battery to allow the PlayBook to run Flash?

Mmmm....

Maybe Macromedia was prophetic in selecting the name Flash -- as in "your mobile battery power is gone in a Flash!"

You simply can?t have a rational argument with that guy.
  • Reply 76 of 121
    RIM had the Playbook at CES in January. The reviews were fairly positive, if I recall.
  • Reply 77 of 121
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    Thought they might have had the balls to post battery life and hit a lower price point seeing as its a complimentary device to a Blackberry phone. But, hey ho another player gets to market.
  • Reply 78 of 121
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    1) It will be interesting to watch RIMs financials to see just how profitable, even with a dramatically smaller and cheaper screen, the Playbook is with them.

2) It will be even more interesting to see how stillborn native apps are for it with their bone-headed decision to have an Android emulation layer. And I can't wait to see how emulated Android apps affect this things battery life too.

This thing has "train wreck" written all over it...
  • Reply 79 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Vandelay Industries View Post

Competition drives innovation and choice is a good thing.

Yup, Apple invents new categories and companies try to innovate in new ways to compete.

Not that any have been particularly successful. But their innovating!
  • Reply 80 of 121
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Quit being so defensive.

lol - it's the Apple haters </cough> who are on the defensive...

Project much?