Motorola doesn't plan orders for iPad-competing Xoom past June - report

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 58
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    So are they basically saying there really isn't any pent up demand for tablets, just iPads!?

I mean if there were so many people waiting for an alternative to the iPad before they dove into tablet computing, they sure aren't seeing a viable competitor in the Xoom then. If Android was a real challenger and much, much more popular than iOS, then why aren't Fandroids rushing out to get the Xoom!?

The bottom line seems to be that no one is really interest in Android and many may not even be interested in tablets. What seems to be the case, is that people are interested in the iPad, just as we saw with the iPod vs. MP3 players almost a decade ago. It might be safe to predict that this market will closely follow the MP3 market although the growth is certainly much faster.

Android in the smart phone market is a complete fluke; a perfectly timed release when OEMs had no where else to turn. Most consumers don't place a lot of value in phones; they are basically nothing more than necessities in a modern world. So who ever can push out the cheapest phones will gain the larger slice of the market.
  • Reply 42 of 58
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

So are they basically saying there really isn't any pent up demand for tablets, just iPads!?

Have you ever seen a line for a Xoom?
  • Reply 43 of 58
    neosumneosum Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

I mean if there were so many people waiting for an alternative to the iPad before they dove into tablet computing, they sure aren't seeing a viable competitor in the Xoom then. If Android was a real challenger and much, much more popular than iOS, then why aren't Fandroids rushing out to get the Xoom!?

The bottom line seems to be that no one is really interest in Android and many may not even be interested in tablets. What seems to be the case, is that people are interested in the iPad, just as we saw with the iPod vs. MP3 players almost a decade ago. It might be safe to predict that this market will closely follow the MP3 market although the growth is certainly much faster.

Android in the smart phone market is a complete fluke; a perfectly timed release when OEMs had no where else to turn. Most consumers don't place a lot of value in phones; they are basically nothing more than necessities in a modern world. So who ever can push out the cheapest phones will gain the larger slice of the market.

That's the thing. Fandroids are made up of children who cannot afford to buy them, adults who can't afford to buy them, and lots of others who just post online. They speak pretty loudly with their fingers, but when it comes down to their pocketbooks they're extremely quiet.

It's easy to voice their opinions on the internet about which platform is better, but it's a totally different thing to actually go out and spend money on one. Android on the smartphone as we know it is doing very well simply because it's practically free to the consumer and available everywhere. The fans ofcourse snatch up these free devices and celebrate their victory. Keep the price low and they'll survive in volume, but try to compete at higher end prices and they'll fail. We don't see KIA trying to sell cars at the price of a mercedes do we?

Apple doesn't get enough credit for their sneaky way of training consumers. First the ipod with the clickwheel. Then slowly graduated to touchscreen with finger gestures. It's a process that apple has fine tuned resulting in today's ipad. The me too products need to do more than just tout hardware specs, and adding 10 gigs of ram won't help either.

For the android fans who still think apple is just hype, consider this. Hype doesn't sell, let alone sell out for years on end. Apple isn't out in Arizona looking for a patch of desert to bury any of their iDevices. That means one thing. Consumers are satisfied with their purchase and refunds are minimal. Still think it's hype?
  • Reply 44 of 58
    andyappleandyapple Posts: 152member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

Have you ever seen a line for a Xoom?

Yes, the line in "Returns."
  • Reply 45 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by andyapple View Post

Yes, the line in "Returns."

• Reply 46 of 58
    sheffsheff Posts: 1,407member
    Everyone that dropped $800 and got locked into a month of Verizon data must be ecstatic right now.
  • Reply 47 of 58
    cvaldes1831cvaldes1831 Posts: 1,832member
    Even if the Xoom is a decent competitor to the iPad on specs, Motorola is still working at a disadvantage.

I won't delve too deeply into the whole iTunes Store/App Store ecosystem thing; that's been rehashed many times before.

However, it is worth pointing out that Apple is probably enjoying heftier margins on its tablet.

First of all, Apple is selling a lot of them through their own retail operations (online as well as bricks-and-mortar). Motorola does not have a retail presence like Apple does; they rely on their channel partners/resellers/etc.

Second, it appears that Apple is able to leverage other iDevices to help bring costs down, particularly silicon. The same SoC in the iPad 2 is probably going to end up in the iPhone 5, the iPod touch 5, and the AppleTV 3. The big volume is in the iPhone and iPod touch (Apple will probably sell 16-18 million iPhones this quarter as well as 11-12 million iPod touches). They are enjoying the economies of scales by moving a lot of units.

Third, Apple is securing supply of key components by signing large long-term contracts and making billion dollar prepayments. No other Fortune 500 company has the same pile of cash. It is likely that they are getting the best prices and availability of key components: touchscreens, NAND flash, and DRAM. They are also likely benefiting from lower rates from contract manufacturers who are willing to shave costs for Apple because of their large volumes.

All of Apple's tablet competitors are probably squeezing their margins to remain competitively priced.

The scariest thing for Apple's iDevice competitors is the fact that the iPod touch basically has no credible competitors. Apple is selling two iPod touches for every three iPhones and the iPod touch demographic is basically 13-24. When these kids graduate from college and can afford to purchase their own smartphone, it is likely that they will go with the iPhone. iPod touch users download more apps than iPhone users (older demographic). The next explosion of iDevice users is currently in high school or attending college.
  • Reply 48 of 58
    erzhikerzhik Posts: 1member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sheff View Post

Everyone that dropped $800 and got locked into a month of Verizon data must be ecstatic right now.

$800 bought you a Xoom without a data plan. There was NO data plan/activation required for $800 price. Only for $600 2-year contract.

And this production report has been proven false by Motorola themselves. They issued a statement that it was load of BS.

http://m.bgr.com/2011/03/22/motorola...report-claims/
  • Reply 49 of 58
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by markb View Post

Man that sucks for the people who just bought the Xoom.

What people?...

Seriously, the lack of a positive response and lines around the block did it in. Reducing manufacturing to nil in a couple of months while heavily advertising, at least on the tele - can hardly go through a commercial break without that guy holding a Xoom encapsualted in that cocoon thingy, but at least, hopefully, the remaining few units can still be purchased and clear out what will be produced.

Not to worry for the people who purchased. I'm sure the "American Picker" guys will be by soon looking for antiques and antiquated items...
  • Reply 50 of 58
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alandail View Post

it could be the drop in production is simply tied to slow sales.

I was thinking the same thing. I can't help thinking that being CDMA, no wifi only model at launch and the loudly exclaimed support of Flash not working out of the box dinged the Xoom a bit.
  • Reply 51 of 58
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I can't help thinking that being CDMA, no wifi only model at launch and the loudly exclaimed support of Flash not working out of the box dinged the Xoom a bit.

BGR aand several others have since updated their stories because Motorola contacted them and said the reports were false. Since the original story paints Motorola in a negative light I doubt DED will feel the need to update the article, but for those of you who are actually interested in the story, here's a linkto the BGR page: http://www.bgr.com/2011/03/22/motoro...report-claims/
  • Reply 52 of 58
    alandailalandail Posts: 755member
    of course they are denying it. The question is does digitimes have a reliable source or not?
  • Reply 53 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I have yet to see a Xoom out in the wild. I travel two to three times per week, and all I see are people waiting for their planes using iPads, with the exception of one Dell Streak in--where else--Texas. I saw a family of four that had--wait a minute!--four iPads!

Later today, we will be an all-iPad household -- 2 adults and 3 teenagers.
  • Reply 54 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rp2011 View Post

That was quick.

Well at least Moto is on the ball and picking it self up, dusting itself off and trying again.

I wonder if this means that the Xoom 0 will be obsolete before anyone gets the chance (needs to) send it in for final assembly (install 4 G chip) or install Flash...

Maybe, MMI could just loan them to customers -- until they decide just what it is that they want to sell...

...Same for Sammy!
  • Reply 55 of 58
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Later today, we will be an all-iPad household -- 2 adults and 3 teenagers.

A house full of teenagers and you still come to AI forums? What are you a sadist?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I wonder if this means that the Xoom 0 will be obsolete before anyone gets the chance (needs to) send it in for final assembly (install 4 G chip) or install Flash...

Maybe, MMI could just loan them to customers -- until they decide just what it is that they want to sell...

...Same for Sammy!

I was thinking of that, too. Besides this device potentially being out of production before you can even send it back to the factory so they can finish building it, will Moto even bother with updates that will finally enable the SD card and USB ports on this thing?
  • Reply 56 of 58
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just for some afternoon LOL's, I headed on over to a Xoom forum real quick to hear what some of the people were saying.

This development if true might put the remaing xooms in high demand. Whatever happens I bet they will sell out FAST!. I am glad I allready have 2 of them in my home!.

I'm cracking up here.

Xoom Classic...
  • Reply 57 of 58
    cgc0202cgc0202 Posts: 624member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThinkPeople View Post

RIP

Nokia

Zune

Now, Xoom

next up RIMM, then, Android

Don't get too excited, for all its current flaws, the Android is here to stay, and as I predicted a long time ago when many Apple diehards are gloating, the Android phones in totality can eclipse the iPhone, and so far, has come true.

Part of this is the impact of the carrier subsidy in the smartphone business plan -- both the carrier and the phone manufacturers benefit. And Google will be the greatest beneficiary of all. The fact that Google will likely remain the major developer, it can exploit the Android for its own business plan - notwithstanding the efforts of carriers, manufacturers to put a stamp to the Android.

That the Android has proved itself to be viable, means that there is a great chance also that it shall eventually have a role to play in the tablet market. Because it is freely licensed, that is "freeby" that many mobile device manufacturers cannot ignored.

It's true too that the Android manufacturers maybe fragmented right now, but let's not forget that a number of manufacturers of Android devices have more depth than some American based mulinationals like Motorola, HP or Canadian RIM or even Nokia.

Samsung for example is the biggest company in South Korea. Once their initial attempts in other consumer markets were laughed at or considered inferior, but many of their products have now improved. Unlike many of the multinationals in the mobile devices, Samsung is more diversified and can absorbed more missed hits than the likes of the Palm, Dell or RIMM. The same can be said of those China-Taiwan techno-conglomerate manufacturers, We may dismiss their attempts now but like Samsung, some of these are big conglomerates, and their missed hits can be cushioned by their other businesses.

Whether they can really beat Apple in the tablet is another story, for as long as Apple continue to innovate and improve its ecosystem.

I am predicting that if Apple pays as much attention to the less glamorous needs of the enterprise and in big institutions where the tablet business will truly become the bulk of tablet applications will be ones it matures.

Part of this enterprise strategy may require the iPad to become a standalone mobile computer device with option to link to local servers and the cloud.

It may be true that many companies, as well as those in technology and biomedicine, are taking great interest on iOS devices. That inhouse development as well as third party Apps have helped in this goal on becoming more relevant. Eventually however, it must be Apple who must develop a more cohesive and comprehensive tools that are needed by the enterprise.

Some may not like Microsoft/Bill Gates but it was the instinct of Bill Gates on licensing and his business feel of the needs of enterprise that really made Microsoft the behemoth of its time. A strategy that continue to buffer Microsoft, even if it may had lackluster results in some of its more recent ventures.

This does not mean that Apple should license its intellectual property as Microsoft did.

CGC
  • Reply 58 of 58
    xsuxsu Posts: 401member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Just for some afternoon LOL's, I headed on over to a Xoom forum real quick to hear what some of the people were saying.

This development if true might put the remaing xooms in high demand. Whatever happens I bet they will sell out FAST!. I am glad I allready have 2 of them in my home!.

I'm cracking up here.

He may have a point. By the time next Xoom comes out, Let's say September, iPad 3 will be less than half a year away. And to amortize the development cost of both Xoom and Xoom2, the new Xoom will probably be more expensive, or use more cut rate components. So in comparison, the current Xoom may look like a bargain.