Apple exploring graphics-driven iPhone menu interfaces for contacts, music

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

Their graphic interface is pretty nice EXCEPT that it's only nice when you actually have the associated graphics (photos attached to contacts, album jackets, etc.), which is also the problem with Apple's supposed patent.

Almost no one I know has photos associated with their iPhone contacts. I think I have about 500 contacts and less than 10 have photos. And maybe half of my music has artwork associated with it, but with music, either I know the artist, song or album I want and searching/scrolling is already the best method I can think of to access it or, I simply have it on Shuffle anyway, which is what I do 95% of the time, so access is irrelevant.

If Apple can come up with a better method, I'm open, but I actually think this is wasted effort that can be better spent elsewhere.

What I would like in the photo library is the ability to create my own multiple albums and to reorder the photos within an album directly on the phone.

They could do the wp7 approach and get the photos from facebook
  • Reply 22 of 24
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by timgriff84 View Post

They could do the wp7 approach and get the photos from facebook

The Facebook app does this in iOS. The majority of my contacts have photos from fb
  • Reply 23 of 24
    firefly7475firefly7475 Posts: 1,502member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Yours Smugly View Post

Um... Kind of like... Windows Phone 7?

It's partially the same, but certainly not a direct copy.

In one example, contacts could be presented with provided pictures of people, represented with a number of tiles on the screen. Contacts or music could also be shown with a dynamically generated mosaic, collecting a number of associated pictures. Graphics could be created on an iOS device using a "seed element," such as a song currently playing or the individual that the user is currently on a telephone call with.
    Is basically the people hub and pinned contacts.

For example, contacts who work for the same company could automatically be grouped together and represented by the same image -- perhaps the company's logo.Is the bit that is different. Dynamically grouping data based on similar fields sounds like a pivot table, but pivots require you to swipe - not click a picture or use a multitouch gesture to access them.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Excellent idea!

I keep thinking CoverFlow is the secret to navigation on touch devices.

I have been playing with an hierarchical version, say for music:

The top level would be "covers" -- pictures of Artists

The next level albums, then songs, etc.

The Rim PlayBook uses something similar for navigating active tasks.

I think this "Mosaic" idea, combined with CoverFlow has some real possibilities.

Two problems:

1) The Apple CoverFlow Framework is a Private framework -- not available to developers

2) CoverFlow takes some graphics powerr and, likely, battery power.

Apple could Implement this with real tight code tied directly to the hardware to mitigate the "power" issue.

I think I like it!

... then there is this whole "FlipBBoard UI" thing -- that could provide a user-customizable UI...

Thanks.

I love seeing more natural motions (those that we use almost unconsciously) incorporated into UI and app functionality.