Inside Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: Apple drops FTP, adds WebDAV file sharing for iOS

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Our AIO Xerox printer uses either SMB or FTP for scanning to the network, in theory anyway. Since SMB could not be made to work (even with tech support), we fell back to FTP. I wonder if we are likely to be up a creek with this printer if Apple drops support for both SMB and FTP from Lion.

Sounds like you can still use the non-gui tools so it's still supported but not configurable via the GUI. Probably time to crack open a BSD man page to figure it out.

Hopefully some 3rd party tools will fill the void \
  • Reply 22 of 55
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can disable the .dstore files on network shares with utils like Onyx (freeware). Handy tweak tool to do all sorts of various bits.

Yeah I can use a pooper scooper when my neighbor's dog takes a crap in my yard too.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I hate that too mstone, you'd think they'd have fixed that a long time ago. That's literally why some businesses don't allows Macs on networks. It's like they are allergic to money if it comes from the business world over at Apple or something. Also if they want Finder to remember Folder views perhaps just save one file somewhere with folder names/paths in it, basically merge all DS_Stores into one master file. I duno, I'm not a programmer.

Someone said FTP isn't used anymore. Umm. Not on the Internets I use. It's a big deal. Very common. Ever download data from the government? This is just plain stupid on Apple. Here I was assuming they'd add FTP uploading to Finder. Along with NTFS write. Pff I won't wait up for that one I guess. And as for security, they should've just added sftp. Hmm...where did that copy of Fetch go..gotta clear the dust off it.

Apple cannot include NTFS write into OS X it is a proprietary windows file system, and Microsoft only licenses the read driver. If A
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

I hate that too mstone, you'd think they'd have fixed that a long time ago. That's literally why some businesses don't allows Macs on networks. It's like they are allergic to money if it comes from the business world over at Apple or something. Also if they want Finder to remember Folder views perhaps just save one file somewhere with folder names/paths in it, basically merge all DS_Stores into one master file. I duno, I'm not a programmer.

Someone said FTP isn't used anymore. Umm. Not on the Internets I use. It's a big deal. Very common. Ever download data from the government? This is just plain stupid on Apple. Here I was assuming they'd add FTP uploading to Finder. Along with NTFS write. Pff I won't wait up for that one I guess. And as for security, they should've just added sftp. Hmm...where did that copy of Fetch go..gotta clear the dust off it.

Apple cannot include NTFS write into OS X it is a proprietary windows file system, and Microsoft only licenses the read driver. If Apple included write support, not only would they get sued, but if Microsoft updated NTFS through a Windows update, Apple would have to totally rewrite their driver for it to work. HFS+ on the other hand can easily be licensed, so there is no reason Microsoft doesn't include HFS+ support on Windows.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by malax View Post

They aren't dropping "FTP support," just the lame download only FTP option in the Finder. Fetch and other GUI clients will still work fine. Besides, as other people have pointed out, using FTP as-is is negligently insecure as the username and passwords are transmitted unencrypted.

How would that effect my Dreamweaver FTP with GoDaddy hosting my site?

In my Dreamweaver 8, under Manage Site/Edit/"Remote Info", I have ?Access? Drop Down Menu, where I have FTP Selected. It works fine for me for years, as I've set it up with GoDaddy, who hosts my site..

Other Choices under that ?Access? Drop Down Menu are:

Local/Network

WebDAV

RDS

The way that Post #17 reads is that my Website can be Hijacked, because it?s insecure as the username and passwords are transmitted unencrypted.

My Setup is:

PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, 10.4.11, Dreamweaver 8.

I just want to know that I?ll be able to use my Dreamweaver 8 site with Dreamweaver 8, or whatever version of Dreamweaver I have to use, once I buy MacBook Pro, with Lion on it...

I am also considering redoing my site and using iWeb, cause I hear it got a lot better! Ideally, I wish there was iWeb Pro, or something else by Apple, that would comparable to Dreamweaver! I?d rather not be caught in the crossfire between Apple and Adobe.

I am glad to see WebDAV under that Manage Site/Edit/"Remote Info", I have ?Access? Drop Down Menu... I assume All those choices will be available with the latest choice of Dreamweaver, if that is what I?ll continue to use after upgrading to MacBook Pro running Lion.

Hope someone can clarify if and how this change in Lion will effect my situation, and whatever other tools I?d be using to Manage my website on GoDaddy!

Thanks in advance for your help!
  • Reply 26 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by champak256 View Post

Apple cannot include NTFS write into OS X it is a proprietary windows file system, and Microsoft only licenses the read driver. If Apple included write support, not only would they get sued, but if Microsoft updated NTFS through a Windows update, Apple would have to totally rewrite their driver for it to work. HFS+ on the other hand can easily be licensed, so there is no reason Microsoft doesn't include HFS+ support on Windows.

I recently installed a freeware NTFS driver for OSX. Seems to do read and write just swimmingly. What am I missing here?
  • Reply 27 of 55
    alienzedalienzed Posts: 393member
    Am I missing something? I can't find FTP in 10.6 either.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macologist View Post

How would that effect my Dreamweaver FTP with GoDaddy hosting my site?

In my Dreamweaver 8, under Manage Site/Edit/"Remote Info", I have ?Access? Drop Down Menu, where I have FTP Selected. It works fine for me for years, as I've set it up with GoDaddy, who hosts my site..

Other Choices under that ?Access? Drop Down Menu are:

Local/Network

WebDAV

RDS

The way that Post #17 reads is that my Website can be Hijacked, because it?s insecure as the username and passwords are transmitted unencrypted.

My Setup is:

PowerPC G4 1.67 GHz, 2GB RAM, 10.4.11, Dreamweaver 8.

I just want to know that I?ll be able to use my Dreamweaver 8 site with Dreamweaver 8, or whatever version of Dreamweaver I have to use, once I buy MacBook Pro, with Lion on it...

I am also considering redoing my site and using iWeb, cause I hear it got a lot better! Ideally, I wish there was iWeb Pro, or something else by Apple, that would comparable to Dreamweaver! I?d rather not be caught in the crossfire between Apple and Adobe.

I am glad to see WebDAV under that Manage Site/Edit/"Remote Info", I have ?Access? Drop Down Menu... I assume All those choices will be available with the latest choice of Dreamweaver, if that is what I?ll continue to use after upgrading to MacBook Pro running Lion.

Hope someone can clarify if and how this change in Lion will effect my situation, and whatever other tools I?d be using to Manage my website on GoDaddy!

Thanks in advance for your help!

Contact GoDaddy. They should have moved to SSH [SFTP]: Port 22 secure shell wrapped FTP years ago.

Your username and password should be communicating over Port 22 with GoDaddy.

Use CyberDuck 3.8.1 Stable

Cyberduck 3.8.1 is available for PowerPC stable. I just checked. I'm on PowerPC and I can download the 4.x branch in Beta, BUT DON'T DO IT. Just download the 3.8.1 version.

Cyberduck allows for you to upgrade to 4.0.1 as a Universal App but I've just tested it and it crashes on 10.5.8 so I think they need to disable that feature as it's clear now that 3.8.1 was the last version for 10.5.

http://update.cyberduck.ch/Cyberduck-3.8.1.zip

http://trac.cyberduck.ch/ [to track the project]

http://cyberduck.ch/ [main page]

You'll be glad you moved to this solution.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by alienzed View Post

Am I missing something? I can't find FTP in 10.6 either.

Sharing/Options...
  • Reply 30 of 55
    bregaladbregalad Posts: 816member
    My most recent experience with large sFTP transfers (or perhaps FTP over SSL, I can't remember which we used) was back in 2007. We had a VPN connection to our office in India. People would open a pair of Finder windows and drag stuff from one country's server to the other, but it would take an eternity. I think the first time we tried to move a 420MB disk image it took over 7 hours. When we switched to secure FTP the transfer time dropped to 95 minutes.

Finder was most likely the problem rather than the AFP protocol, but that's a massive difference.

The only time I've used WebDAV was transferring files to/from iDisk. Again I'm sure it's not fair to the protocol to use a MobileMe experience, but it felt like those early days communicating with India. I wanted to share a single 2MB JPEG with a friend and it took a minute to upload to iDisk. I've done the math. At that rate it would take an entire week to upload my 20GB iPhoto library.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    The WebDav component seems interesting. What I can't tell from the article (or the WikiP article) is whether or this is a step toward not needing to physically sync iDevices via iTunes? And if so, how big a step?

As for Server, can a "regular power user" install Server as part of an otherwise regular OS X machine so you'd have a complete Lion Mac able to act as a server as well (either full-time or for occasional functions)? Or do you have to build your machine as one or the other?
  • Reply 32 of 55
    Dropping NFS server-side support??? That's insane! O_o

I have a media streamer (Networked Media Tank device) that NFS mounts my Mac's Movies volume. Using SMB/Samba is far too slow. Now I will have to use some kludge like myiHome instead. Meh. Thanks a lot, Apple.
  • Reply 33 of 55
    Did Apple forget those who like to setup a home network only FTP file server? I understand its still available via terminal, but really, why take it out of the GUI if at the end of the day, it wasn't causing any damage or issues for them?

Removing GUI support for NFS sucks too. Its used a lot in networking.

Seems like all they are focusing on is easy home networking support between Macs and Windows in a home environment and making it slightly harder for those who do networking in business/heavy networking environments.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by aplnub View Post

Am I the only the one thinking that dropping FTP support is a bad idea?

No, I'm totally with you. I was thinking yesterday how nice it would be if FTP were more fully integrated into Lion, as in up AND down (what a concept!). Its still the fastest protocol. As for security, put an 's' in front and bob's your uncle.

Luckily there's still Transmit.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by robogobo View Post

No, I'm totally with you. I was thinking yesterday how nice it would be if FTP were more fully integrated into Lion, as in up AND down (what a concept!). Its still the fastest protocol. As for security, put an 's' in front and bob's your uncle.

Luckily there's still Transmit.

I'm sure that FTP support *as a client* is still there, in fact that's mentioned higher up.

This topic is about FTP as a server. And as mentioned - it's unsecure and really should be removed as an option. However SFTP / SSH file sharing needs to be there IMO.

WebDAV will be good to have however.
  • Reply 36 of 55
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Wish Apple would replace it's FTP client/server with SFTP using vsftpd http://vsftpd.beasts.org/ and update NFS to version 4.

What project is Mac OS X's FTP client based on?
  • Reply 37 of 55
    z3r0z3r0 Posts: 238member
    Not without proper server hardware to run it on! http://www.savethexserve.com/

Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post

Server looks nice.

• Reply 38 of 55
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Yeah I can use a pooper scooper when my neighbor's dog takes a crap in my yard too.

Actually the tool stops the OS X machine from creating it on network drives and external drives the first place.
  • Reply 39 of 55
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    So file sharing will be available via WebDAV, and WebDAV may be included in iPhone5.

So might Apple, or someone else, find it easy to implement the Back to my Mac Finder feature on iOS?

This would be great for me, as I'm often abroad and like to catch up on little tasks on my iPhone during spare moments.

It might even bring the iPad into scope for me.

I arrange 80% of what I need abroad using iDiskDropBoxDotNet, but then there's always the odd file I need to grab or move into iDiskDropBoxDotNet. A simple Finder in iOS, via BTMM, would be easy now ?
  • Reply 40 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by djames4242 View Post

Looks like, by simplifying (and eliminating redundancy in some of) the configuration panels, Apple is preparing for the Server edition to be adopted by a much wider audience.

As for the near-elimination of FTP and NFS server protocols, FTP is rarely used anymore (at least not without SSH/SFTP), and any pure Unix shops utilizing NFS are almost certainly using Solaris (or another flavor of Unix) for file serving. As long as OSX still supports these protocols as a client, this should mostly be a non-issue.

BUT, the decision may keep some people (e.g., in small businesses) from simplifying a complex unix network by (kicking out e.g., Sun, and) providing the server functionality from MacOSX (referring to NFS here).

On the other hand, I vigorously applaud Apple's decision to provide MacOSX Server functionality for anyone, because there are many households with several Macs, and it would certainly make the greater public aware of and knowledgeable about MacOSX as a server.

Previously, the step to a dedicated MacOSX Server in the home was too big, for 2 reasons (both of which are being dealt with, so it seems):-

(i) more expensive (It wouldn't hurt though having to pay for MacOSX Server licenses >x clients, gradually increasing e.g., for x^2 clients, for x^3 clients, etc..., with x=5 or 10);

(ii) more difficult to manage (Well-done, Apple, for simplifying OSX Server administration)