Amazon preempts Apple with cloud-based music service for Web and Android

Comments

• Reply 21 of 129
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kfury77 View Post

I agree with you... however I think we will (finally!) see the fruits of Apple's labour very soon... next month I would imagine we'll see the revamped MobileMe service with cloud storage and music streaming etc.

I sure hope so, and I also hope the fix some very annoying kinks for mm too, I can't fathom how in this day and age by virtue of keeping a file open (a word file say) I should get constant nagging sync errors because said file is on idisk (with a local copy of idisk btw...), and that's just one of a number of mm annoyances. To be fair mm has fixed a few issues over time, but a seamless experience it ain't.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The shame is all on your, due to your ignorance. You seem to have this fantasy in your head that Apple is missing an opportunity and thus squandering their purchases and IP.

Thanks for reminding me how very rare it is for consumers to understand Apple's businesses.

You are welcome, it's good to see someone admitting to their mistakes, glad I could remind you how you fail to get apple's strategy. As for my ignorance, next time, you might want to claim it with some semblance of arguments, because lack of arguments and big proclamations about others make for very embarrassing posts.
  • Reply 22 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Seattle, Wash.-based online retail giant unveiled the new cloud services late Monday. The services are available for U.S. customers only.

Damn you Amazon, why can't you let Apple announce it first..

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

?Our customers have told us they don?t want to download music to their work computers or phones because they find it hard to move music around to different devices,? Bill Carr, Amazon?s vice president of movies and music at Amazon, said in a statement. ?Now, whether at work, home, or on the go, customers can buy music from Amazon MP3, store it in the cloud and play it anywhere.?

They actually listen to their customers..???
  • Reply 23 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

From the Amazon terms of service:

5.2 Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law.

5.3 Security. We do not guarantee that Your Files will not be subject to misappropriation, loss or damage and we will not be liable if they are. You?re responsible for maintaining appropriate security, protection and backup of Your Files.

5.4 Limits, Changes and Cancellation. Service Plans are subject to storage capacity limits. If you exceed your storage limit, restrictions will be placed on your use of the Service until you either remove enough of Your Files to come within your storage limit or upgrade Your Service Plan to a plan with enough storage capacity. We reserve the right to impose other limits on use of the Service. We may also restrict your access to the Service if we determine that your use of the Service violates this Agreement or substantially exceeds normal use by other users. Improper or excessive use may also result in termination of your use of the Service. We may change the Service, or any part of it, or end the Service, or any part of it, either temporarily or permanently, at any time, with or without prior notice to you. We will not be liable for any damage or loss (including any loss of data or profits) or any other consequences that you may incur as a result of any restrictions on your use of the Service or your inability to access and use the Service.

NO THANK YOU

Wow..! You actually read the terms of service.. (thumbs up)
  • Reply 24 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by myapplelove View Post

Apple have been sitting on their asses with lala, the nc data center and mobileme. Amidst rumors of free mm and retraction of mm retail boxes, we are paying a pretty hefty sum for a very limited service. Amidst rumors of a data center, we are still getting pretty mediocre performance from mm. Amidst rumors of a cloud music service we still have to swap songs/audiobooks/podcasts/movies in our ipads because there's no damn space to put them there. Not even some provision of cloud storage for the media we buy via itunes.

Anyone who likes apple, has to see this as their biggest blind spot, they are leading everywhere else and trailing pathetically in the cloud domain.

They better get moving, because it's not just that the comp is catching up here, it's leaving them behind, and they are marring the whole ecosystem by being very hesitant, very lackluster, and very unproductive in anything to do with the cloud.

A real shame.

Don't get this wrong, I don't disagree with you or anything.. But I'd rather wait until Apple iron out all the kinks in their service and really prepare it for their users rather than send it through the door half baked, and it would be more worth the wait if Apple's similar cloud service will be available not just in the US. Perhaps this is one of the main reasons why Amazon rushed to announce their cloud service, just to beat Apple in time.
  • Reply 25 of 129
    sciwizsciwiz Posts: 77member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MadIvan View Post

From the Amazon terms of service:

5.2 Our Right to Access Your Files. You give us the right to access, retain, use and disclose your account information and Your Files: to provide you with technical support and address technical issues; to investigate compliance with the terms of this Agreement, enforce the terms of this Agreement and protect the Service and its users from fraud or security threats; or as we determine is necessary to provide the Service or comply with applicable law.

5.3 Security. We do not guarantee that Your Files will not be subject to misappropriation, loss or damage and we will not be liable if they are. You?re responsible for maintaining appropriate security, protection and backup of Your Files.

5.4 Limits, Changes and Cancellation. Service Plans are subject to storage capacity limits. If you exceed your storage limit, restrictions will be placed on your use of the Service until you either remove enough of Your Files to come within your storage limit or upgrade Your Service Plan to a plan with enough storage capacity. We reserve the right to impose other limits on use of the Service. We may also restrict your access to the Service if we determine that your use of the Service violates this Agreement or substantially exceeds normal use by other users. Improper or excessive use may also result in termination of your use of the Service. We may change the Service, or any part of it, or end the Service, or any part of it, either temporarily or permanently, at any time, with or without prior notice to you. We will not be liable for any damage or loss (including any loss of data or profits) or any other consequences that you may incur as a result of any restrictions on your use of the Service or your inability to access and use the Service.

NO THANK YOU

Welcome to the Cloud. Enjoy your stay.

Apple's MobileMe

Quote:

Apple does not guarantee or warrant that any Content you may store or access through the Service will not be subject to inadvertent damage, corruption or loss.

Apple may at any time, under certain circumstances and without prior notice, immediately terminate or suspend all or a portion of your account and/or access to the Service.

DropBox

Quote:

Your access to and use of the Site, Content, Files and Services and is at your own risk. Dropbox will have no responsibility for any harm to your computer system, loss or corruption of data, or other harm that results from your access to or use of the Site, Content, Files or Services.

Dropbox reserves the right to terminate Free Accounts at any time, with or without notice.

• Reply 26 of 129
    habihabi Posts: 317member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

It uses the amazonMP3 application with Android, which is also amazon's music storefront. Somehow I doubt Apple would approve an app from Amazon that allowed them to download music to iOS devices without going through itunes.

Do you mean like spotify? (which does exactly that)
  • Reply 27 of 129
    pmoeserpmoeser Posts: 80member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Perhaps this is one of the main reasons why Amazon rushed to announce their cloud service, just to beat Apple in time.

BINGO!

Has Eric Schmidt left the building yet?

[Edit] Yes I know Eric works at Google, and this is an Amazon announcement. But it does happen to work with Android, Amazon have just opened up an Android Appstore, and there is speculation of an Amazon Android Tablet, and Google's "OPEN" OS has suddenly "CLOSED"

It looks, smells, waddles and pees like a duck...
  • Reply 28 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kilimanjaro View Post

Don't get this wrong, I don't disagree with you or anything.. But I'd rather wait until Apple iron out all the kinks in their service and really prepare it for their users rather than send it through the door half baked, and it would be more worth the wait if Apple's similar cloud service will be available not just in the US. Perhaps this is one of the main reasons why Amazon rushed to announce their cloud service, just to beat Apple in time.

I am with with this, that's why I like apple, because they do take their time, they are very meticulous and when they do release something it' usually either great or pretty darn good. Having said that, that's not been the case with mm, and if google, can do it, and dropbox can do it (with files) and every other dime a dozen other cos can do it, apple should be able to do it better. I am just ringing a bell here, because I see most other domains within apple growing and flourishing but their cloud integration (and for that matter their home sharing system) is still if not worse off than the competition then unremarkably along the same lines with the competition.

So I am saying essentially to them, because I know for a fact apple folk read ai more than any other fora on apple, get a move on, make it happen, it's been a long time in the making and because our technological needs have become far more complex and nuanced, it's also terribly lacking the current state of affairs wrt apple and their cloud services. If some people need to take the boot like ex mm head did, then do it, because clearly this isn't a domain where apple is leading. Surely as you say, and I concur, it's also a matter of calculated moves not vapourware and half arsed ware (I ll copyright this ), but it's pretty evident to me that the people in charge of the cloud aspect of apple's services are doing worse than other sections of apple, much worse. And like I said, when you end up pretty much sacking your head of mm, that's kind of an admission that it's an area where things are shaky.

I want them to be bold with their new cloud ideas, to be innovative as usual, and to offer much needed services that will untie our hands. No. 1 priority for me should be a service (a paid one too if need be) where a considerable amount of storage will be allocated to each user so they can seamlessly share their itunes libraries on the cloud, without half measures such as home sharing, and syncing ipads, and then ipods, and then iphones, hell how many devices to we have to stick a cable to and from our computers to be able to manage our itunes libraries? And then you have multiple computers, family computers, etc. etc. An ample cloud space to centralize your itunes lib (or at least some universal compact version of it) is very, very much needed.

Because as is, amazon offers 20gbs pretty much for free, and 1tb paid, and all you can get from mm is 40gbs max of storage, shared between mail as well...pretty pathetic.
  • Reply 29 of 129
    macrrmacrr Posts: 488member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

Welcome to the Cloud. Enjoy your stay.

Apple's MobileMe

DropBox

um... I'm not about to read the entire agreements of this BS.. but given what the OP outlined, and what you outlined.. I think you missed the real takeaway... apple clearly outlines reasonable expectations while protecting themselves.

Amazon is basically saying they don;t even secure anything and if it gets stolen by hackers it isn't on them along with having a metric.. that any user that actually uses their services more than an average will get booted... pfft!

that shit is born to lose.
  • Reply 30 of 129
    bedouinbedouin Posts: 331member
    Hear that? It's the sound of the world barely noticing.
  • Reply 31 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

BINGO!

[Edit] Yes I know Eric works at Google, and this is an Amazon announcement. But it does happen to work with Android, Amazon have just opened up an Android Appstore, and there is speculation of an Amazon Android Tablet, and Google's "OPEN" OS has suddenly "CLOSED"

Schmidt is a c... (you fill the blancs), and he is considered so by most people who follow tech new or are in the biz, and of course he is a clown too, what with the open oses that close all of a sudden, his blatant disrespect for privacy and numerous other issues...having said that he is soon to be a c... with amazon's huge servers for storage backing him, and as you say a pretty obvious alliance with amazon, all of which should serve the odious google very, very well.
  • Reply 32 of 129
    Guys, have you forgotten that Amazon is playing catch up and well behind by many miles in digital music services? Even if Amazon beat Apple by few weeks in cloud offering it would not matter. Once in a while Apple has to let the competition show their cards so that they can perfectly plot their strategy and come out the winner.
  • Reply 33 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmoeser View Post

BINGO!

Quote:

Schmidt is a c... (you fill the blancs), and he is considered so by most people who follow tech new or are in the biz, and of course he is a clown too, what with the open oses that close all of a sudden, his blatant disrespect for privacy and numerous other issues...having said that he is soon to be a c... with amazon's huge servers for storage backing him, and as you say a pretty obvious alliance with amazon, all of which should serve the odious google very, very well.

Wow, you guys seriously hate Google right now aren't you..?

PS: Amazon Android-based tablet/Kindle? Jeff Bezos might already considered it for his next Kindle.
  • Reply 34 of 129
    Quote:

I am with with this, that's why I like apple, because they do take their time, they are very meticulous and when they do release something it' usually either great or pretty darn good.

I want them to be bold with their new cloud ideas, to be innovative as usual, and to offer much needed services that will untie our hands.

So let's have faith in Apple then, after all the Cupertino-based company is currently trying to open its North Carolina data centre as soon as possible, it's said to be one of the largest data centres in the world so let's hope Apple is up to something really cool..

But I really-really hope Apple will someday make MobileMe as a free cloud service..

Quote:

it's also a matter of calculated moves not vapourware and half arsed ware (I ll copyright this )

Noted. You said it, you're there to represented it, it's yours..
  • Reply 35 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NextTechnocrati View Post

Guys, have you forgotten that Amazon is playing catch up and well behind by many miles in digital music services? Even if Amazon beat Apple by few weeks in cloud offering it would not matter. Once in a while Apple has to let the competition show their cards so that they can perfectly plot their strategy and come out the winner.

Yeah, but Amazon stole the thunder from Apple..

Apple has been successfully took our feet off the ground with its recent keynotes and products, I was really hoping that Apple would have been the first to pioneer this could-based service.. Now the credit will go to Amazon, damn you Amazon..
  • Reply 36 of 129
    If its in the US only then Apple has nothing to worry about, especially if its a streaming service. Spotify is currently one of the big dogs in music streaming right now, its available in the majority of Europe and has only just now gotten to 1million users, and its available on iOS devices. iTunes can sit pretty with its crown on for a very long time to come.
  • Reply 37 of 129
    gwydiongwydion Posts: 1,083member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Every Android user I know just steals their music using one of the many apps available to do this for Android.

If they were interested in PAYING for music, apps, etc - they probably wouldn't get an Android phone.

You're joking, don't you?
  • Reply 38 of 129
    nim81nim81 Posts: 16member
    I just don't think this - or any similar offering from Apple - is going to work out for a few years.

It would be great to be able to stream your music collection on the move and avoid the need for large capacity phones, but the infrastructure just isn't there with the phone networks.

I can barely listen to a low-quality internet radio station on the way to work without it continually buffering every few minutes, so I don't fancy entrusting my MP3 collection into the cloud.

This sort of service is probably the future, but to be honest I think we're still 5 years away from it being a realistic proposition. Given how poor the coverage of 3G still is outside of urban areas, you'd have to hope that the introduction of 4G networks is a lot more widespread for any cloud based mobile services to take off.
  • Reply 39 of 129
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by n1954679 View Post

If it's US only then who gives a rats arse.

Agreed!
  • Reply 40 of 129
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nondual View Post

Every Android user I know just steals their music using one of the many apps available to do this for Android.

If they were interested in PAYING for music, apps, etc - they probably wouldn't get an Android phone.

I have an iPhone, not an Android, I just downloaded an album last week from a torrent site because I felt like it. I guess I should go wait in line for my Android phone since my methods of acquiring music are SO Android...

But really, what?