Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration

245

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Iphtashu Fitz View Post


    Yeah, because if you hate typing an e-mail on the keyboard then you'll just LOVE dictating an e-mail.



    I've had the Vlingo voice app on my iPhone for about a year now. It's handy for some things like a quick text message but it's a huge PITA when you try to do something more involved like compose an e-mail. Unless you're a professional speaker, chances are you won't do a very good job of dictating an e-mail, and unless the app is 100% accurate (and none are) then you're just going to have to use the keyboard to edit your message anyway. And editing a bunch of mis-recognized text is so much easier than just typing it out to begin with.



    I agree I tried and abandoned dictation software in a few weeks after total frustration and went back to pecking with two fingers and a thumb (for the space bar).



    Voice recognition is far more about searching and commanding ... all of us Trekkies are all ready trained since childhood on the use of such a device
  • Reply 22 of 96
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post


    Apple's iOS 5 rumored to have 'deep' voice command integration



    So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?
  • Reply 23 of 96
    moewmoew Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post


    yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.



    Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.
  • Reply 24 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?





    I hope another post came since my last one along so this isn't consecutive to another totally different one I sent a few minutes ago .... \ If it did should I delete and go back and redo them as a multiple reply? Oh, but I'd totally lose my train of thought so I'd have to copy and paste the previous one before I delete it ... Oh bugger it here I go.



    (Sorry feeling pretty teed off as Mac Rumors banned me for having responses adjacent without using multiple quotes. This after 6 years there!)



    That was my exact instant thought when I read the headline but resisted the urge to write it for fear of ridicule
  • Reply 25 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post


    So James Earl Jones will be one of the voices?



    Options for Barry White (Whacking Day version) and issac Hayes (Chef Version) will be 99 cents.
  • Reply 26 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post


    Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.



    So the iPhone 5 will flop if it doesn't have native GPS/NAV on it huh?
  • Reply 27 of 96
    dishdish Posts: 64member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MOEW View Post


    Most of these posts prove that Google did it very well before Apple could even consider it. It's also vaporware from Apple, they need this to perform flawlessly, and they need native GPS/NAV on the IP5 or else it's going to flop.



    As I read your comment, in my head all I heard was Meow meow meow. Meow, Meow meow... LOL



    No seriously though, Google deserves credit for that but I don't think it will be too hard for Apple -they have synthetic unicorn blood to make it all magical.
  • Reply 28 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    So one of the main feature in iOS 5 I won't use. Nice. No matter how good the voice integration is, I don't like talking to a computer.
  • Reply 29 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Not sure what app you are referring to but I am staggered at how good the Google App is on the iPhone. It rarely makes a mistake on things I ask for it to search on. I am hopeful the server based system I hope Apple will be launching will be as good. I have an English / American accent too!



    With an Australian accent it is hopeless, I've tried to use it, even given it a silent room to assist. It gets maybe 2 in 5 if I am lucky and that is saying uselessly easy things (as in common searches and places). Something complex sounding and it's 0 in 5.
  • Reply 30 of 96
    djintxdjintx Posts: 454member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    Not sure what app you are referring to but I am staggered at how good the Google App is on the iPhone. It rarely makes a mistake on things I ask for it to search on. I am hopeful the server based system I hope Apple will be launching will be as good. I have an English / American accent too!



    I'm referring to voice control, which is built into iOS. If you are unsure of what this is, just press and hold your home button. The screen will go blue and indicate voice control is active.
  • Reply 31 of 96
    irelandireland Posts: 17,521member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post


    Great! now people are going to be walking around talking to their phones....oh wait...err, nevermind.



    You said that, but I guarantee you it will be more annoying that someone talking to a human on the other end when within earshot.
  • Reply 32 of 96
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bloodshotrollin'red View Post


    Just how are they going to achieve this marvel when MacOSX has absolutely rubbish voice recognition?



    The dirty secret is voice recognition (which was really pioneered by Apple in the consumer space and that all Macs have always had), has *always* been rubbish. And not just on Macs, voice recognition is (very democratically), rubbish on pretty much all devices and all platforms.



    That doesn't mean it isn't slightly useful sometimes and it doesn't mean that people don't want it however. This will probably be quite popular when it comes out. Voice recognition is another tick-box to check on the list of stuff a phone has to do nowadays, so they pretty much had to do it.
  • Reply 33 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dish View Post


    yeah, if it's anything like Googles recognition it will be amazing. 2 days ago I was speaking a text message on an android phone, I started speaking and then my friend standing next to me cut me off and started talking but it managed to perfectly recognize both his and my sentence....thats the only thing I like about Android...though I have the Google app on my iPad and it works just as well as it does on the Android phone.



    I have had the exact same thing on iPhone's Google app when my wife said something and it integrated what she said to my utter amazement.
  • Reply 34 of 96
    So now it is going to cost us mobile data to even make it use mobile data.



    Or better yet a swathe of features won't even work unless you have a network to use up your mobile data.



    .com bubble



    The cloud is rapidly approaching a rain shadow
  • Reply 35 of 96
    neilmneilm Posts: 569member
    Dragon Dictation on the iPhone, while it does certainly make errors, is surprisingly effective for ordinary purposes. Don't use it for your résumé, but for a quick email to your friends it's fine.



    But Dragon doesn't get held to the same high standard that Apple would. It's a user installed app and not part of the core iOS. If it works well enough for you, fine, if not, no big deal. But now imagine that Apple includes wide ranging voice recognition?that damn well better work well, and really well, or the company will become the endless butt of late-night comedians' jokes.



    Those with longer memories will remember what happened with the Apple Newton and its handwriting recognition. That actually worked much better than myth would have it, but there were enough hilarious mistakes that there was simply no coming back from it.
  • Reply 36 of 96
    MacProMacPro Posts: 17,868member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DJinTX View Post


    I'm referring to voice control, which is built into iOS. If you are unsure of what this is, just press and hold your home button. The screen will go blue and indicate voice control is active.



    I don't use the Universal Access so my home button functions normally. But you answered my question, you are using the option for the physically handicapped users. I take your word for it that it is not very good, I honestly have never tried it in the years I have used Macs (since 1984) . As others have explained this is a totally different system using vastly greater computing power at the server end not the Mac's CPU as your set up is doing.
  • Reply 37 of 96
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,741member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Prof. Peabody View Post


    The dirty secret is voice recognition (which was really pioneered by Apple in the consumer space and that all Macs have always had), has *always* been rubbish. And not just on Macs, voice recognition is (very democratically), rubbish on pretty much all devices and all platforms.



    That doesn't mean it isn't slightly useful sometimes and it doesn't mean that people don't want it however. This will probably be quite popular when it comes out. Voice recognition is another tick-box to check on the list of stuff a phone has to do nowadays, so they pretty much had to do it.



    I hope that isn't their reasoning nor their inspiration for the feature. That reminds me way to much of what RIM is going with the playbook, by throwing everything and the kitchen sink into it, simply to be able to check a box and say they have it. Apple is better than that. If they implement this, especially if they make it a highly touted feature, I expect they will do so with the level of attention to detail that Jobs has built into their DNA.
  • Reply 38 of 96
    tulkastulkas Posts: 3,741member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post


    I don't use the Universal Access so my home button functions normally. But you answered my question, you are using the option for the physically handicapped users. I take your word for it that it is not very good, I honestly have never tried it in the years I have used Macs (since 1984) . As others have explained this is a totally different system using vastly greater computing power at the server end not the Mac's CPU as your set up is doing.



    Voice commands aren't enabled through Accessibility and are not really meant as an option for just handicapped users, at least they are not configured anywhere to do with Accessibility. iPod Voice Control is always on and Voice Dialing is enabled in the Settings->General->Pass Code Lock and is always on unless you have a passcode lock, in which case you can enable it or disable it. I am not sure if you can disable the 'Press and Hold Home' for voice control at all.
  • Reply 39 of 96
    Interesting news, but I do have a tiny problem with it, being able to use voice commands for a slew of tasks is great, but I'm hoping this wont render the iPhone useless "cool feature wise" in all but the high volume countries.

    Siri is not available to download in sweden, nor do we have any restaurants that is connected to open table, or the taxi service, or anything else for that matter.



    Please don't let this be another service that will never show up outside the north american and 5 largest european countries, the iTunes store is already worthless over here as it is.
  • Reply 40 of 96
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 19,805member
    I'd have to agree with other posters that Google voice control and search features are amazingly accurate, as I'm sure Apple's version will be when it eventually gets released. But Google's text translations from voice mails? That really needs some work.
Sign In or Register to comment.