Comparison of Wi-Fi, GSM & CDMA iPad 2s finds antennas similar to iPhone 4

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
A new collection of teardowns reveals the differences between Apple's different versions of the iPad 2, comparing the components of the Wi-Fi-only, GSM and CDMA models and discovering similarities with the iPhone 4.

This week, a member of the iFixit community contributed a post to the solutions provider's website offering an even closer look at the different models of iPad 2. Previously, the site had torn down the 16GB Wi-Fi model, as well as the Smart Cover accessory.

The comparison shows design decisions similar to the differences between the GSM and CDMA iPhone 4 models. For example, the CDMA version of the iPad 2 has one more antenna than the GSM model, just like the Verizon iPhone 4.

Also like the Verizon iPhone 4, the CDMA iPad 2 features an integrated GPS receiver. On the GSM model, GPS is a separate chip from Broadcom, like with the GSM iPhone 4.

The other major difference between the GSM and CDMA iPad 2 models is the inclusion of a Micro-SIM card slot on the GSM model. Located in the upper left corner of the device, the slot's inclusion gives that model a unique design.

The Micro-SIM tray is integrated into the headphone jack assembly for the GSM iPad 2. Since the CDMA iPad 2 does not have a space for a SIM card, it uses the exact same headphone jack assembly as the Wi-Fi-only model.

Chips providing 3G connectivity for the CDMA iPad 2 include a Qualcomm MDM6600 Baseband/RF Transceiver, Qualcomm PM8028 Power Management IC, Toshiba Y890A111222KA, Skyworks 77710 Power Amplifier Module, and Skyworks 77711 Power Amplifier Module. All of these are also found in the Verizon iPhone 4.

The GSM iPad 2's 3G radio has an Intel 36My1EF with 128MB of Numonyx NOR flash and Elpida Mobile DDR SDRAM, Infineon 337Se833 Baseband Processor, Skyworks & TriQuint Transmit Modules, and Infineon 338S0626 GSM/W-CDMA Transceiver. It also includes a Broadcom BCM4751 Integrated Monolithic GPS Receiver, which is an update from the BCM4750 found in the GSM iPhone 4.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Was anyone expecting anything different?
  • Reply 2 of 10
    "Comparison of Wi-Fi, GSM & CDMA iPad 2s finds antennas similar to iPhone 4"

Does this mean if you grip it to hard, the iPad won't work?

Does this mean Consumer's Report won't recommend it?
  • Reply 3 of 10
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Well that was a waste of 3 perfectly good iPad 2s, something that's in short supply.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    f1turbof1turbo Posts: 257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Also like the Verizon iPhone 4, the CDMA iPad 2 features an integrated GPS receiver. On the GSM model, GPS is a separate chip from Broadcom, like with the GSM iPhone 4.

I thought the iPad 2 did not have a GPS receiver in it. Specs page on Apple's site only mentions "assisted GPS" under 3g models.

Will the iPad 2 function as a GPS receiver without wifi or 3g signal?
  • Reply 5 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by F1Turbo View Post

I thought the iPad 2 did not have a GPS receiver in it. Specs page on Apple's site only mentions "assisted GPS" under 3g models.

Will the iPad 2 function as a GPS receiver without wifi or 3g signal?

Assisted GPS usually means it also has a GPS receiver but the assisted part helps it get a faster fix, so it should work without a wifi /cellular signal, just takes a little longer to get three satellites.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

Was anyone expecting anything different?

Yeah, I see no surprises in the design or the chips used.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Assisted GPS usually means it also has a GPS receiver but the assisted part helps it get a faster fix, so it should work without a wifi /cellular signal, just takes a little longer to get three satellites.

I thought assisted GPS was just the 3g triangulation type stuff. Apple specs list this under the 3g models, but nothing at all on GPS under WiFi models.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:

I thought assisted GPS was just the 3g triangulation type stuff. Apple specs list this under the 3g models, but nothing at all on GPS under WiFi models.

Yes that is one of the advantages of 3g model is it has GPS and the wifi model does not.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

As he says, there is no GPS on the WiFi models, hence no mention of GPS. They do have a location database service. They used to use Skyhook but now use Placebase a company they bought in 2009.
    To restate, Assist GPS is GPS. It merely assists the GPS by addressing inherent problems that could occur from a fragmented signal while also greatly speeding up your 'first time to fix’ by using data available from a network.
    You don’t want just GPS in any device that also has constant network data. You then have the issue with stand alone GPS units taking several minutes to find your location.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    mstone and solipsism,

Thanks for the help and the links--good to know! I just bought a 3g model and didn't think it had a GPS chip in it.