Verizon iPhone most popular US mobile phone in February

Comments

• Reply 21 of 50
    freshmakerfreshmaker Posts: 532member
    And yeah, you can turn the 4G off. It's just not terribly easy to figure out, though you don't have to hack the phone or anything.
  • Reply 22 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The popularity of Apple's Verizon iPhone, which comScore called "the most acquired handset in the month of February," refutes anecdotal figures advertised by BTIG Research analyst Walter Piecyk, who recently claimed that Verizon was selling more HTC Thunderbolt phones than Apple iPhones, based on conversations with retail staff.

I think the key word here is Verizon retail staff. I can believe that the HTC Thunderbolt is matching the iPhone sales through Verizon. However, that does not account for all the iPhone sales that are going through Apple. I'd guess that half of iPhone sales go through Apple.
  • Reply 23 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

The popularity of Apple's Verizon iPhone also refutes the constant drumbeat of posts on this message board that it would be foolish for Apple to release a CDMA iPhone at all.

BUT: Even with having the most popular handset, Apple still barely increased its market share (0.2%) for the month. I honestly thought it would have been much more. Meanwhile Android is up 7%. Very strange.

Meanwhile, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, and a bunch of Chinese knockoffs nobody has ever heard of, representing dozens of models combined is up 7%. Very strange indeed.
  • Reply 24 of 50
    srathisrathi Posts: 29member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Meanwhile, HTC, Samsung, LG, Motorola, and a bunch of Chinese knockoffs nobody has ever heard of, representing dozens of models combined is up 7%. Very strange indeed.

Spoken like a true iFanboy. Reality is tough to digest for them.
  • Reply 25 of 50
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

I went to a conference in January... we have it once a year. Almost every person who had a Verizon Blackberry last year is now rockin' an Android device. There is simply no love for the Blackberry anymore.

It will be interesting to see, in the next year or so, how many people move to the iPhone as well.

I kinda feel bad for RIM. They started out making enterprise messaging devices and phones. Then they got a huge boost a few years ago in the consumer market.

Now, it looks like the Blackberry will revert back to being an enterprise device... as consumers simply want more from their phones.

The enterprise ha little interest in Rim..
  • Reply 26 of 50
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by srathi View Post

Reality is the iPone 4 was the #1 handset in the world in 2010 and is still beating the crap out of anything those manufacturers awe making, even when they are giving them away.
  • Reply 27 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Reality is the iPone 4 was the #1 handset in the world in 2010 and is still beating the crap out of anything those manufacturers awe making, even when they are giving them away.

Fact check: Android 33%, Apple 25%.
  • Reply 28 of 50
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

I’ll trade you your fact check for a reality check. Let’s see, you took the word Android which is mobile OS, not a HW device and not a mobile company and compared it with what you wanted to say is iOS, but decided to use not the iPhone device, but instead Apple which is a company.

Who in there right mind would do that? I think you purposely have to be trolling to make that sort of mistake or you simply aren’t in your right mind to know that Android is an open (up until 3.0), freely distributed OS that can be used by company for any product they wish, and which has been used by hundreds of handsets and dozens of companies… yet you compare to one company that doesn’t license or give away its OS. Fact check, indeed!

PS: How is Android doing on PMP devices and tablets or do you just want to stick with smartphones while claiming “spoon” for what will surely be an increased Android presence on both.
  • Reply 29 of 50
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shadash View Post

The popularity of Apple's Verizon iPhone also refutes the constant drumbeat of posts on this message board that it would be foolish for Apple to release a CDMA iPhone at all.

BUT: Even with having the most popular handset, Apple still barely increased its market share (0.2%) for the month. I honestly thought it would have been much more. Meanwhile Android is up 7%. Very strange.

It basically confirms what I've always thought: Samsung, Motorola, et al, are successfully up-selling their dumb phone customers to Android but their overall growth is static. So you have Apple growing its number of mobile subscribers, while everyone else is either losing subs or remaining static, but the others are moving their own dumb phone customers to smart phones, which means they show dramatic growth when you just look at smart phones.

The reason Android has such dramatic growth is because it was picked up by a handful of large established players in the market. They could roll it out quickly. They already had deals in place with every carrier, in every territory. Apple is a newcomer and can't compete with these guys in terms of distribution in the mobile phone space (retail space is another matter). So what the manufacturers have managed to achieve is to up-sell customers to phones that need data plans, which is great for carriers (the carriers have been the winners with Android), but they still don't have Apple's margins and that's what they want.
  • Reply 30 of 50
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    I bought a ThunderBolt last week because I tether at home.

With an extended battery that makes my phone look like ass, and weighs a ton, I got a whopping 9 hours of use out of it today as a phone, no tethering.

What a flipping joke.
  • Reply 31 of 50
    pxtpxt Posts: 683member
    I recently watched Johnny Mnemonic.

Keannu Reeves uses a Thompson iPhone and all the comms are through AT&T.
  • Reply 32 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

Let's not forget the iPod touch.

Interesting that no named manufacturer except Samsung increased Market share but that Android did. Attack of the cheap clones. Apple can offset that with a cheaper model, and in post-open Android these devices are stuck on 2.3. Apple will move everything from the 3GS on to iOS 5.

This is pretty good news. Apple tops in feb, maintains it's position against the latest and greatest Android the next month, increases Market share for the quarter even though the V phone is out only in Feb, and if it maintains this steady growth on 2 carriers it should do even better on all 4. And the iPhone 5 , iOS 5, and purported cheap model on the way.

Meanwhile Androids 7% is to unnamed cheap manyfacturers indicating that Apple is taking more of the high end.
  • Reply 33 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sciwiz View Post

I don't know how it refutes the Iphone being "the most acquired handset in the month of February," considering HTC Thunderbolt wasn't even released in February. Two different metrics.

Shhh! Don't tell Mr. "I hate tea party republicans" that!
  • Reply 34 of 50
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:

Where is the average cost per handset?

Where I work Android phones range from $149 and $169 for a Huawei Ideos and SonyEricsson X8, $299 and $349 for Motorola Flipout and HTC legend, $799 and $899 for Galaxy S and desire HD up to $949 for a sonyericsson X10.

iPhones are $749, $849 and $999 for 8GB 3GS and 16 & 32 GB 4's.

These are all outright handset prices, they are priced slightly differently tied to plans ranging from $19 to $100 a month on contract.

The revenue handset makers make on Android phones is split across a wide range of manufacturers, models and pricepoints, it's the area where Apple is comprehensively and undeniably dominating no matter what "marketshare" based on raw handset sales is going to Android.

My company wants us to push Android because they can make money on customised services they build into the handsets, without them Android will be dropped, Google will find it hard to change their sales model to be less friendly to carrier customisation.
  • Reply 35 of 50
    island hermitisland hermit Posts: 6,217member
    Quote:

Question:

Which would you rather have:

a) 15% or less of the 33% at razor thin margins?

or

b) 100% of the 25% at a hefty margin?

Show us how smart you are...
  • Reply 36 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

But iPhone outsold phones which boast 4G data service.

Not only that, but it's an iPhone model due to be refreshed in four months. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people fully realize that iPhones are updated every June...
  • Reply 37 of 50
    docno42docno42 Posts: 3,755member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Michael Scrip View Post

Now, it looks like the Blackberry will revert back to being an enterprise device...

There's no refuge for them in the enterprise...

Quote:

consumers simply want more from their phones.

What makes you think consumers are the only ones who want more?
  • Reply 38 of 50
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DocNo42 View Post

Not only that, but it's an iPhone model due to be refreshed in four months. It never ceases to amaze me just how many people fully realize that iPhones are updated every June...

This time, iPhone is not going to be updated till 2012 so your argument is moot.
  • Reply 39 of 50
    Quick question for those who have huge respect for ease of use of iOS:

how easy is it to toggle 3G on/off on an iPhone? I'm sure it is a one touch "easy" step!
  • Reply 40 of 50
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

This time, iPhone is not going to be updated till 2012 so your argument is moot.

The iPhone will be updated this year.