iOS, iPad web use still outpacing all Android devices combined

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I saw the same thing on my site stats and it made me wonder are Android phone users downloading Safari as their web browser instead of their phone's native browser? That would be hilarious!

No wacky weird stuff going on here. If a Konqueror user went to that site it would think it was safari as well, along with Gnome's browser because it equates webkit with safari.

Seen this happen lots of time.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yeshuawatso View Post

Not mischief, just the way Analytics reports Webkit. Most ua detection methods look at the engine, not device. Furthermore, a lot of ua for Android mask as ios to get ios designed sites that are optimized for mobile.

Maybe, but in this case Google Analytics is reading every key/value in the UA array, as they should. If anything Google has an incentive to display actual Android usage and not as Safari/Android unless that were indeed the case. As you mentioned Android users do sometimes modify their UA which I believe is the case here since it specifically logged as Mobile Safari/523.12.2
  • Reply 43 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo;

I'm having a difficult time who's throwing the most FUD around. I sure see enough articles saying that Android is "destroying" Apple's iOS and I'm fairly certain that Wall Street is basing Android's prowess to displace Apple's iOS in the mobile arena. I'm sure investors believe that iOS is being soundly beaten or will be soundly beaten by Android and that is helping to continually drive Apple shares down.

APPL is up over 41% since September. That's not being beat down.

Quote:

Analysts are constantly crowing about Android is great and Android is "winning" and iPhone sales are stagnant or flat. Any day I expect to hear that Apple is quitting the mobile business because it has absolutely no chance of outselling any Android product.

Unlikely when your flat market share is adding a few billion to your revenue and a billion to the bottom line as well.

Quote:

To analysts, market share is everything. If you don't have major market share then your company is a failure or very soon to becoming a failure.

To investors profit is what matters, if you think Apple is expensive now, you should see what would happen if they suddenly decided to issue a dividend. Furthermore, analysts are a dime a dozen and they're here to provide information, not provide interpretations and their opinions.

Quote:

That premise also doesn't make sense because Nokia had major market share and still ended up close to failing.

Nokia is still the single largest manufacture in the world.

Quote:

I've yet to see one Android tablet come close to being competitive in sales against the iPad and yet the analysts claim that Apple is already in danger of losing its market share to Android tablets within a year.

Bloggers are proclaiming this, not Wall Street, and they're all basing this off of previous experience of knocking off Android as a one hit wonder and the OS exploding. I've yet to see a tablet that is consumer purchase friendly that offers similar experience to the iPad, so Apple really has a chance to keep churning along and get consumer confidence now.

Quote:

Wall Street and investors must believe this and they're selling their Apple shares. There doesn't seem to be enough proof that Apple's iPad will continue to be the top-selling tablet this year. There has to be some belief that Android is better than anything Apple has to offer but I'm not sure what this belief is based on. Lower device prices seems to be the most likely premise. I'll be curious to see how things shape up in another year. Obviously, last year was terrible for non-Apple tablets but high tablet sales still didn't do much for Apple's share price nor did it instill confidence in potential Apple investors that Apple seems to have a good lead with iOS devices. None of what's recently happening to Apple is making much sense to me. I'm pretty much in the dark.

Again, APPL is up 41% since September, the iPad is helping the stock at every tick. I'm an Android fan and I wouldn't swallow this crap you're spewing. Back it up with facts. Talk about the MADC, don't just say Wall Street because Wall Street just makes the trades, real investors hold the shares.
  • Reply 44 of 76
    jacksonsjacksons Posts: 244member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macinthe408 View Post

I could care about anything except $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Who's raking in more of it? End of story.

Only as a shareholder.

As a customer - not so much (unless you are worried the company will go under).
  • Reply 45 of 76
    mennomenno Posts: 854member
    as a valid place to get information?

First and formost, they're an SEO firm, and when you GOOGLE them you get a whole list of sites, which tell you absolutely NOTHING about the company. In fact, the first result is a blank login page, and you get a couple obvious MLM blogs in the first page of results. You reverse it (365ROI) and you get a call center outsourcing firm.

Now, if a company specializes in SEO, shouldn't their public website be one of the top results when you google them? Why is DED quoting him like they're someone worth quoting?

The numbers (and graph) come from a company, maybe you heard of them... Stat Counter. Now, stat counters pretty big, but where I remember them most are those annoying little squares you could put at the bottom of your Xanga page so you could see how popular your ramblings were. You go to their "methodology" page and they say they don't weight any results (Good). But here's the kicker:

They ONLY count hits that come from search engine referrals. This means if you were referred by a webapp, RSS reader, bookmark, favorites, or simply browser history the hit wouldn't count. Take a look at your phone. When you browse to say AppleInsider, do you always search for it and then click the link, or do you (like most people) simply click on the bookmark (or at worse, you start typing in address bar and it auto completes). This is most likely what you do for almost EVERY website you visit regularly (generate the most hits for) And this isn't even counting the "Nerdy" options like Instapaper, Webapps, Pulse, RSS readers, flipbook, etc.

Even my Mother, someone who knows as much about technology as I know about nuclear physics knows how to use bookmarks.

Now, I'm not saying the data is worthless. Far from it. But it's not a total representation of what's going on here, unless you're just looking at how many people use their phones as search engines to find information (which is useful, but not what DED is doing).

Statistics are powerful tools, but they are easy to misread and even easier to misrepresent. Yes, some of those polls showing Android "blowing away" Apple are missing the mark entirely. But the answer to that is focus on the hard numbers (profitability, customer satisfaction, reliability) instead of using shady statistics yourself.

Articles like this might have an impressive title, and they might make you feel good for your OS of choice, but in the long run, they're about as useful as me having a "readers choice" award for the best restaurant, but ONLY tabulate those votes where the customer went to that restaurant because of an ad in a single paper.

EDIT: Secondly, Jeff Tribble appears to be someone who doesn't exist. You can't find ANYTHING on him and SEO besides for this article and other apple sites that copy/pasted it.
  • Reply 46 of 76
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    in a few weeks we will get Apple's quarterly sales numbers, including one month of iPad 2 March sales. so we will we be able to add up all iOS device sales (except Apple TV maybe) for whatever period of time.

all the Android OEM's almost never report actual sales numbers. which right off the bat is very suspicious. how many of the 2.1 million 7" Galaxy tabs "shipped" were actually sold do you think? less than half i bet. will Samsung ever say? probably not, it was a disaster. will we hear how many Xoom's sold in March? Motorola isn't saying. wonder why? if they sold a million, i bet we would hear about it.

so instead we get "educated guesses" from NDP, or all these third-hand reports/surveys extrapolating ad hoc metrics like browser hits into market share projections.

you would think the blogsphere would demand to know the facts from all the OEM's. with at least as much detail as Apple provides. but that would be real journalism ... when bullsh*tting is all they really know how to do.
  • Reply 47 of 76
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by c4rlob View Post

I saw the same thing on my site stats and it made me wonder are Android phone users downloading Safari as their web browser instead of their phone's native browser? That would be hilarious!

How could they do that? Safari is only built as an iOS, Mac OS, and Windows browser. I haven't heard of a version built for Android OS.
  • Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sdbryan View Post

How could they do that? Safari is only built as an iOS, Mac OS, and Windows browser. I haven't heard of a version built for Android OS.

IF you have a rooted phone (or any of a dozen or so alternate browsers) you can tell your phone to "spoof" being Safari. The reason for this is that some sites (like AI) refuse to update their code so they will ONLY show a mobile view if they detect an iOS browser.

Also, some tracking sites will count most modern webkit browsers as iOS because the don't want to bother with the dozens of unique user-agent strings android devices can have (each major UI skin uses a custom browser as well)

TLR Lazy websites or stat counters are the reason some Android devices show up as Safari.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

The money for the Developer's world is in iOS, not Android.

delete
  • Reply 50 of 76
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

I still don't know a single person who owns an Android device. I was with a dozen friends that I had not seen in a while over the weekend. Several iPhones and a few Blackberrys. No Androids.

Your friends must not be nerds.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    dsectdsect Posts: 25member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

There has to be some belief that Android is better than anything Apple has to offer but I'm not sure what this belief is based on.

I think there is a large group of Windows/Linux users who hate Apple's vision of the computer. They're waging a war of "computer as a collection of parts" against "computer as an appliance." Like Windows and Linux, Android is just a "part" to be combined with various hardware parts, whereas, like with the Macintosh, iOS is designed along with its hardware and is only available on it. They really, really don't want "computer as appliance" to win: too user-friendly, too reliable. Their in-depth troubleshooting expertise will no longer be required.

And since this group includes many pundits and bloggers, if someone wanted to suppress Apple's stock price, floating questionable statistics their way would be an easy way to do it (and hard to trace).
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dsect View Post

I think there is a large group of Windows/Linux users who hate Apple's vision of the computer. They're waging a war of "computer as a collection of parts" against "computer as an appliance." Like Windows and Linux, Android is just a "part" to be combined with various hardware parts, whereas, like with the Macintosh, iOS is designed along with its hardware and is only available on it. They really, really don't want "computer as appliance" to win: too user-friendly, too reliable. Their in-depth troubleshooting expertise will no longer be required.

And since this group includes many pundits and bloggers, if someone wanted to suppress Apple's stock price, floating questionable statistics their way would be an easy way to do it (and hard to trace).

You'd have a point except for the fact that practically every major tech blogger uses an iphone and/or mac computer.

The problem is that you're trying to compare the posts on specialized blogs (droid forums) with posts at AI, while somehow still holding AI posts in higher esteem.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Menno View Post

You'd have a point except for the fact that practically every major tech blogger uses an iphone and/or mac computer.

The problem is that you're trying to compare the posts on specialized blogs (droid forums) with posts at AI, while somehow still holding AI posts in higher esteem.

the most strident fanDroids are typically diehard Linux fans (like Catherine Noyes). they see Android as - at long last - a successful Linux platform. so after many years of being left out of the media mainstream, they champion it and bask in the glow. then on top of that, they drink the "open" Googleaide, as if it really is about open source instead of market/advertising manipulation of the users.

and they hate Apple of course, because if OS X had not succeeded, the world would have turned to Linux as the only alternative to Windows! yeah, sure it would have ...
  • Reply 54 of 76
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Why do some Apple fans feel so threatened by Android? Why is DED so threatened by Android than he feels the need to write 2,000 word rants about Google every week?

I've never really understood this kind of behaviour. I can enjoy the iPhone, iPod touch and iPad without needing to rubbish to the competition. Apple is big enough, rich enough and clever enough to succeed without fanboys spewing FUD over every corner of the Internet.

Pardon me but it is in fact the Android market that is spewing all the FUD which DED is countering so that we can have an intelligent view of what is really going on in the marketplace instead of all the false hype. The fact is that Android is an immature, unstable and extremely fragmented OS. People are getting what they paid for - oh, that's right, its free. The market spin around android is so full of FUD that it really is astonishing that it is doing so well as it is. Consumers apparently fail to realize that in many if not most cases, as soon as they buy an Android device, that it is obsolete as it comes with a version of the OS that is not up to date, that it's hardware will not allow it to be updated in many cases, that to get updates they may have to wait months for the carrier to implement them, that all the apps they may have purchased previously might not run on the new device and can't be updated, and its UI is some bastardized carrier or handset maker implementation that deviates from the intended use and isn't consistent across devices. Now, what was your point again?
  • Reply 55 of 76
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 56 of 76
    deleted
  • Reply 57 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Alfiejr View Post

the most strident fanDroids are typically diehard Linux fans (like Catherine Noyes). they see Android as - at long last - a successful Linux platform. so after many years of being left out of the media mainstream, they champion it and bask in the glow. then on top of that, they drink the "open" Googleaide, as if it really is about open source instead of market/advertising manipulation of the users.

and they hate Apple of course, because if OS X had not succeeded, the world would have turned to Linux as the only alternative to Windows! yeah, sure it would have ...

And this is relevant how? What major tech column does she write for? How does she compare to BGR, Engadget, SB Tech (where Most of Engadget went), Time, CNN, Etc?
  • Reply 58 of 76
    deleted
  • Reply 59 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:

quite:

Quote:

. It?s so enormous that other AdMob-dependent developers have told us that it?s hard for them to fill their inventory because Rovio?s titles absorb so much.

so, to clarify, the money for developers is

1) iOs

2) Android if you are Rovio. But thats it. Rovio is sweeping up all the ads. The rest get nothing.
  • Reply 60 of 76
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

That was one of the most valuable posts here ever. Too bad it'll be lost on most who read it.

Part of the joys of this forum is taking on Android trolls, and pointing out the hypocrisy of the fandrods. ( Now pro Open Source! Now anti-Open Source!)

Amuses us.