Toys R Us may be next in US to sell Apple's iPad 2 starting in May

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    sprockketssprockkets Posts: 796member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Psych_guy View Post

Yeah. Right. Apple is so stupid they've sold millions of iPads. How do you figure?

Then why not sell more at Costco? They let lame ass Sams do it, and that place is a shit hole.

Quote:

As to the comments about it being a toy, think about it. iPad = netbook replacement. Kids and young teens getting in on the Apple ecosystem with an iPad sounds like a good idea to me.

But a netbook can run itunes to setup an ipad and update its firmware. Even the ipad's 2 processor has a fraction of what a lowly atom can do.

To each his own. Having my ipod touch present me with the itunes logo because it got corrupted, and needed the firmware to be reinstalled is quite ridiculous.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 23 of 30
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sprockkets View Post

Then why not sell more at Costco? They let lame ass Sams do it, and that place is a shit hole.

But a netbook can run itunes to setup an ipad and update its firmware. Even the ipad's 2 processor has a fraction of what a lowly atom can do.

To each his own. Having my ipod touch present me with the itunes logo because it got corrupted, and needed the firmware to be reinstalled is quite ridiculous.

I have no inside information, but it seems Apple and Costco could not come to an agreement about discounting product. Anyone know for sure?
  • Reply 24 of 30
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

I have no inside information, but it seems Apple and Costco could not come to an agreement about discounting product. Anyone know for sure?

I've never even been to a Costco, so don't know much about them, but I think the decision was mutual. There were obviously some issues that could not be resolved.

If somebody wants to sell Apple products, they need to abide by Apple's rules. You can't just set any price that you please.
  • Reply 25 of 30
    It's a good idea to get in as many stores. I went to a Best Buy Mobile and a Verizon Kiosk that didn't have the iPhone, and their entire sales pitch was to trash the iPhone. I'm sure if they actually had it for sale, they would be busy trying to sell it rather than bad mouthing it.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh crap! You know what comments to expect next...

Thinking the same thing here.
  • Reply 27 of 30
    sdbryansdbryan Posts: 351member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Only people who shouldn't comment probably know. I did buy my 3rd gen iPod touch from Costco and they did provide a good discount. I could imagine other third party retailers not being happy with that situation. When I got my 1st gen iPad from Best Buy on launch day there was no discount.

As for Toys R Us, I think Apple is doing the right thing to sell consumer electronics devices like the iPad and iPods in as many locations as feasible and keep opening Apple Stores in more locations. Customers can buy a boxed product on impulse, seek an Apple Store for support and find in number of other things they might want to add to their menagerie. Creating the Apple Store juggernaut is arguably Apple's best business decision of the past decade, but for now there just aren't enough of them to provide sufficient distribution.
  • Reply 28 of 30
    Pshhh. They're trying to rub it in Best Buy's face over that quota-gate
  • Reply 29 of 30
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Yup, just read CrunchGear reporting Best Buy is now banned from selling the iPad 2: http://www.crunchgear.com/2011/04/07...sted-by-apple/
  • Reply 30 of 30
    mactacmactac Posts: 316member
    The iToy moniker is now official.

But I guess it was bound to happen. Geoffrey the Giraffe sure isn't able to use a keyboard or mouse. But a touch screen is something he could possibly work.