Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mrstep View Post

That's really strange because according to Gartner they're all going to be on Win7 phones shortly. Well, maybe the next company where people get to choose will pick at least 50% Win7.

Hahaha... not!

I wrote my thoughts re: Gartner's report at Macworld, and won't repeat it in full here.

However, you fail to realize that Gartner is talking about all "dumb-phones" from Nokia (35% marketshare world-wide) running WinMo7 in the future... NOT enterprise-class phones. If you aren't aware, there's a BIG world outside of the US and assorted "rich" economies, where Nokia is #1 because their phones are FREE through the carriers. That will continue, and shortly they will all be running WinMo7.

So yes, Nokia and MS will have a larger marketshare than Apple... however, it will do nada for their bottom-line profits, as is the case today.
  • Reply 42 of 54
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Nokia - you are soooooooo toast. And why in the world would you let some moron from MSFT run your company?
  • Reply 43 of 54
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

I wrote my thoughts re: Gartner's report at Macworld, and won't repeat it in full here.

However, you fail to realize that Gartner is talking about all "dumb-phones" from Nokia (35% marketshare world-wide) running WinMo7 in the future... NOT enterprise-class phones. If you aren't aware, there's a BIG world outside of the US and assorted "rich" economies, where Nokia is #1 because their phones are FREE through the carriers. That will continue, and shortly they will all be running WinMo7.

So yes, Nokia and MS will have a larger marketshare than Apple... however, it will do nada for their bottom-line profits, as is the case today.

Bullshit. Consumers have finally realized that after all the years of being screwed by MSFT with buggy, overpriced pigs for products that they absolutely don't need MSFT on their mobile devices and WILL NOT adopt them in any significant numbers. They have far far superior choices in iOS and Android. Nokia has just totally screwed themselves over by hiring and following this twit.
  • Reply 44 of 54
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

92% sounds about right. 6% of Clorox employees must be delusional fandroids who spend their time rooting their phone during work and 2% of Clorox employees apparently have deep mental issues.

As long as my clothes stay their whitest, I don't care if 8% of their workforce is shooting dope at work. It's an unwritten agreement I have with Clorox.
  • Reply 45 of 54
    pennywsepennywse Posts: 155member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

As long as my clothes stay their whitest, I don't care if 8% of their workforce is shooting dope at work. It's an unwritten agreement I have with Clorox.

lulz.
  • Reply 46 of 54
    granmastakgranmastak Posts: 298member
    You will see more companies dropping blackberries.

BES has to be maintained and we've had many outages with it. It's hard to set up in a fault tolerant environment. Most of our blackberry users have personal iPhones or androids and they look at the blackberry like it's a dinosaur.

Deploying configs and locking down iPhone corporate data was a breeze, so we will be offering a choice between blackberries and iPhones ...as soon as our network guys get their authentication issues with wireless worked out.
  • Reply 47 of 54
    wingswings Posts: 261member
    I think what this shows is that, when cost is not a factor, 92% will choose iPhone over Android/WP7 (i.e., what a person REALLY wants). When a person has to factor in the cost of the phone plus the cost of the plan, I think this ratio would fall significantly. A lot of people just cannot afford $300 up front ($200 for the phone plus 1st month's service) and $80 a month for 2 years. This is where Android is gaining ground - the low & midrange phones & plans.
  • Reply 48 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wings View Post

I think what this shows is that, when cost is not a factor, 92% will choose iPhone over Android/WP7 (i.e., what a person REALLY wants). When a person has to factor in the cost of the phone plus the cost of the plan, I think this ratio would fall significantly. A lot of people just cannot afford $300 up front ($200 for the phone plus 1st month's service) and $80 a month for 2 years. This is where Android is gaining ground - the low & midrange phones & plans.

This I don?t understand. I don?t see Android phones being much cheaper. I see some that are, but the flagship models are as much and sometimes more expensive than the subsidized or list price iPhone despite having a lower storage capacity and other features that tend to be pricy in their own right.

If we?re talking $100 difference over a good phone (whether it?s an iPhone or using Android OS) that you?ll be contracted with for 24 months I don?t see paying the extra $100 for the much better value or even waiting until next paycheck to get it. Personally, the day I can?t afford $100 is a day I will not be buying a smartphone with a data plan. I guess I?m in the minority, but I want the best value for my money and a cheap Android phone is not on the list.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Does anyone know if there are reliable data on the market share of iOS vs Android on AT&T? With both platforms having been available from that carrier for a reasonable length of time, those data might be a pretty good indicator, at least within the US market, of relative popularity, but I've never seen that direct comparison made.
  • Reply 50 of 54
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Does anyone know if there are reliable data on the market share of iOS vs Android on AT&T? With both platforms having been available from that carrier for a reasonable length of time, those data might be a pretty good indicator, at least within the US market, of relative popularity, but I've never seen that direct comparison made.

It?s always been disproportionate to the rest of the US smartphone market. It?s possible it?s not a good indicator of the market as a whole because the choices of Android-baeed devices on AT&T is reportedly poor, with the ?good? Android-based devices going to the non-iPhone carriers.At

least, that has been the argument I?ve heard. I guess we?ll see how popular the iPhone is after a year on Verizon. Of course the next argument for this first quarter of sales on Verizon will be, ?that?s because the iPhone was new which is why it sold well", followed by some other excuse months later like, ?that?s because Verizon stopped carrying good Android[-based] phones, probably because Apple is paying them?, or some other tinfoil hat conspiracy theory.

I can?t seem to find any charts or articles detailing the last known the mobile OS market share on AT&T. I did find this from a month ago.
  • Reply 51 of 54
    see flatsee flat Posts: 145member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Right_said_fred View Post

no sarcasm, no offense, but is that not what happened? ie even reading the article, seems like out of 2000 so far, 92% were iPhones

No, it's not what happened. The company DROPPED blackberry. The choise was between iPhones, Android, or Microsoft. And 92% chose iPhones.

Tittle should be,

After Clorox dropping blackberry, 92% of employees picked iPhone over Android device and Windows Phone 7.

as opposed to "Given a BlackBerry choice, 92% of Clorox employees picked iPhone"

they were not given a Blackberry Choice at all.

What kind of headline is that?
  • Reply 52 of 54
    jbelkinjbelkin Posts: 74member
    This % is exactly how the ipad-tablet market will play out when all things are equal (aka: if all pricing is the same - why would you not choose 'the best?'). The only success Android has seen is in the cheap-free phone market where low budget buyers* either have to choose a cheap phone because it's all they can afford or don't believe an iPhone is worth the $150-$250 extra "premium," versus getting an Android that looks vaguely like IOS at the stores - it's "good enough."

Of course, Android phones just reinforce the notion that smartphones are not worth much more than $29 with its crashing, and completely different OS from phone to phone and from telco to telco ... (and before you jump to defend Android, even Google readily admits its not ready for prime time and time to start over). Don't get me wrong, some people can't afford it or don't need the power of an iphone - nothing wrong with an android $29 phone to read email and check in on facebook.

* Of course, there are the 1% haters of all things Apple but they only number in the few thousands in the real world (just like at Clorox) - on the internet, they are loud but as a buying force - not much ... just look at sales of android phones at $199 or above or linux netbook sales or android tablet sales or android app sales (8% of revenue compared to Apple's 80% market share).
  • Reply 53 of 54
    Securely syncing with the cloud isn't the only problem. For some activities, it doesn't matter how secure the connection is between the smartphone and the cloud. There's often other hops in the process. For example, when an email is sent to an internet user, it leaves the email server as plain text or HTML. That exposes credit cards, SSNs, and even unfiled patent drafts. The same problems exist with desktops and browsers, so smartphones aren't the only ones guilty here.

Some people use certificates to close this type of hole, but they're not exactly smartphone friendly. Some other services like datamotion are supposed to use the smartphone's email client to send and receive securely, all the way to the other user. Easy usually gets used.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

As part of an effort to replace IT designated PCs and mobile phones with devices employees want, Clorox has dropped RIM's BlackBerry and workers have overwhelmingly selected iPhones instead.

According to a report by Compuerworld, the company stopped issuing BlackBerry phones and gave employees a choice between Apple's iPhone, Android models, or Windows Phone 7 smartphones.

Of the 2,000 smartphones the company has issued under the new plan, 92 percent are iPhones, while 6 percent picked Android and 2 percent chose a WP7 model.

RIM's BlackBerry has long been the corporate choice of IT managers, ostensibly because of its centralized management and security credentials. However, messaging had largely become a cloud service, making the device itself less important.

"We live in public cloud for mail and messaging," explained Clorox' chief information officer Ralph Loura. "I don't have to worry about security because I don't sync data to the iPhones. It remains in the cloud.

"My job is about how to be the chief risk officer, yet provide choice and flexibility. It's about putting apps and logistics in the cloud and pushing the user interface to the edge," he said.

Loura is also beginning an iPad pilot program, and notes that while nobody volunteers "take my laptop and replace with iPad," he does think it can be used to run cloud-based business apps.

"What I want [to do is] figure out how to take that business intelligence app or workflow app and figure out way to have it be accessed in an intuitive way from the iPad," he stated in the report.

• Reply 54 of 54
    ltmpltmp Posts: 204member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BuzDots View Post

Oh well, it'll all come out in the wash..

Maybe they can use some bleach to make white iPhones.