Apple Boot Camp update fixes shutdown issues, causes brightness problems

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Apple this week released an update for its Boot Camp software for running Windows on Macs, and addressed an issues with shutdowns on the new 2011 Thunderbolt-equipped MacBook Pro models. But users also say the new update causes problems with adjusting screen brightness.

Boot Camp 3.2 Update for MacBook Pro (early 2011) is a 21.55MB file available from Apple. The software, which allows users to run Microsoft Windows on their Intel-powered Mac computers, requires Windows 7, and applies only to the latest-generation MacBook Pros.

Apple said the update addresses issues that existed with system shutdowns. It also resolves problems with Japanese and korean keyboards.

While the update packed a handful of fixes, users on the official Apple Discussions page have reported that new issues were created with the update. Specifically, numerous Boot Camp users have reported since Thursday that the 3.2 update mistakenly disables the ability to control screen brightness in Windows.

"Clicking the brightness buttons (fn + F1) causes the little brightness icon to come up and move up or down, but the actual screen brightness won't change and stays at 100%," user pwhe23 wrote. "I don't remember this happening before I upgraded."

A number of other users chimed in on the thread, reporting similar results, even with a fresh install of Windows 7. User ckahn said they managed to address the problem by installing the 32-bit version of Windows 7, rather than the 64-bit operating system.

And user Polytonic found a "temporary workaround" by setting the brightness in Mac OS X, then rebooting to Windows. The Mac will apparently remember the brightness setting applied in Mac OS X and it will carry over to Windows upon the system reboot.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    I'm still using a Conroe-based MacBook Pro, so thankfully I don't have these "teething" issues like the newborns
  • Reply 2 of 11
    This issue doesn't directly affect me as I don't have a new TB-equiped MacBook, nor do I use BootCamp, but the fact that yet another update from Apple that was meant to address one issue actually introduced a new problem seems to suggest that Apple's software QC standards have slipped of late. iOS 4.3.x has evoked numerous rants from many (myself included) because of WiFi connectivity issues and loss of data. With this latest problem, I'm beginning to get a bit apprehensive about Lion and iOS 5.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Maybe they should change the company name to "Beta"

Seriously... 10.6.7 required a special update for 2011 machines. Itunes required a special update just for 13" machines.... Now a spoiled bootcamp update. How these guys make so much money is indeed magical and amazing. The iPad and iPhone were the worst thing to ever happen to the Mac.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Inside_line View Post

Or maybe "Google" :-)
  • Reply 5 of 11
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:

Seriously... 10.6.7 required a special update for 2011 machines. Itunes required a special update just for 13" machines.... Now a spoiled bootcamp update. How these guys make so much money is indeed magical and amazing. The iPad and iPhone were the worst thing to ever happen to the Mac.

As unpopular as it is to say it here, I sadly agree. For years the Mac was reduced to a niche market by the PC, now it has been further reduced by iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    nkalunkalu Posts: 315member
    When will there be a Boot Camp for the tablets?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    jnjnjnjnjnjn Posts: 588member
    Who cares. No excuse to run Windows anymore.

J.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    rokradrokrad Posts: 143member
    Actually on my late 2009 iMac I have always had a problem with Bootcamp and the screen brightness.... and it has been a problem for quite a while actually since i've seen forum discussions on it for a while.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nkalu View Post

When will there be a Boot Camp for the tablets?

Quote:

So stop buying Apple products. You're obviously wrong; this adds little to any discussion.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member
    deleted
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Maybe it's just me, but I haven't yet updated my 2.3gz Quad i7 to the just released update and am still running the shipping version of 3.2 which came on my install media and the brightness control didn't work on it either. I can only assume this is an issue with 3.2 in general on the new systems and was not caused by the newest update.