Foxconn plans to assemble Apple's iPad in Brazil by end of November

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rhyde View Post

Do we need the low-paying assembly jobs that are assembling iPads?

We're talking a couple dollars a day here, keep in mind.

Do you really consider Brazil a 3rd world crap hole? These aren't US minimum wages, but they aren't your Great Depression wages either.
  • Reply 42 of 53
    sessamoidsessamoid Posts: 182member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Every other point you make is your opinion vs. mine except this point which you are correct. China is third with $1154.7 billion of our debt.

#2 is US Government Bond holders and #1 is the US Federal Reserve. They'll always be #1 and #2 because they can print money.

http://www.treasury.gov/resource-cen...uments/mfh.txt

I was wondering why you thought the Chinese own all our "department"...
  • Reply 43 of 53
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Unless the USA is being considered as a pl;ant site, I could care less.

The media unnecessarily made the suicides a topic. The suicide rate among the Foxconn workers was the same as the general population.

So basically this article is a filler with little to no relevant information.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MJ1970 View Post

That might be. Still, you might pause before assuming that someone who is philosophically the polar opposite of yourself is "brainwashed." This sort of thing tends to shut down open discussion. I have not assumed that you are brainwashed, but I do think you might not be as fully informed on some aspects of these issues as you could be.

What I gather from your remarks is that you would teach a man to fish and give him your fishing pole too. Then going forward you would buy all your fish from him. I would say let him figure it out on his own and he can buy his fishing pole from me. And I'm certainly not going to teach him how to make fishing poles either.
  • Reply 45 of 53
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member
    Quote:

What I gather from your remarks is that you would teach a man to fish and give him your fishing pole. Then going forward you would buy all your fish from him. I would say let him figure it out on his own and he can buy his fishing pole from me. And I'm certainly not going to teach him how to make fishing poles either.

Perhaps I would. It's funny, my positions on economics and politics here have had me accused (unjustly I'd add) of being a greedy, selfish prick. But here you've accused me of the opposite...being too kind to my fellow man. \ Go figure.
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

But here you've accused me of the opposite...being too kind to my fellow man. \ Go figure.

No I think you would look at that as a good business plan. I don't. I like to fish.
  • Reply 47 of 53
    Quote:

No I think think you would look at that as a good business plan. I don't. I like to fish.

It's amazing how much you assume you know about me from only a couple of posts.

Alas we've wandered far afield from the thread topic.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    Quote:

It's amazing how much you assume you know about me from only a couple of posts.

Alas we've wandered far afield from the thread topic.

Not really it is a very complicated topic this foreign policy, global economics thing. I'm a protectionist to some degree. Our country cannot give the rest of the world enough free stuff to make them like us and we shouldn't try. US corporations have bet the farm on offshore manufacturing and it is about to turn around and bite them, and us, in the ass.

Those people don't give a rat's ass about doing good to their fellow man and trying to help them see the light is like throwing money down a hole. They come here to get an education, we teach them how to build rockets, and then they go home and threaten to launch one on us.
  • Reply 49 of 53
    Quote:

Not really it is a very complicated topic this foreign policy, global economics thing.

Well yes and no. In some ways it is much simple than some realize, but in other ways it is more complicated. Ultimately though it does boil down to some fairly simple and fairly easily understood economic concepts (e.g., supply and demand, marginal utility, comparative advantage, etc.)

Quote:

I'm a protectionist to some degree.

I'm sorry to hear that. But thanks for your honesty.

Quote:

Our country cannot give the rest of the world enough free stuff to make them like us and we shouldn't try.

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Quote:

US corporations have bet the farm on offshore manufacturing and it is about to turn around and bite them, and us, in the ass.

Possibly. I'm betting you're wrong though.

Quote:

Those people don't give a rat's ass about doing good to their fellow man and trying to help them see the light is like throwing money down a hole. They come here to get an education, we teach them how to build rockets, and then they go home and threaten to launch one on us.

Who are "those people?"

Back to the thread topic...what I see here is a company (Foxconn) that has done an admirable job building a great manufacturing company and bringing some people in China out of poverty. I see them doing this in Brazil also. I see the rest of the world benefiting also by getting great products at affordable prices.
  • Reply 50 of 53
    Quote:

Who are "those people?"

The people all over the third world that the US is throwing tax dollars and bombs at in equal proportions.

Quote:

Back to the thread topic...what I see here is a company (Foxconn) that has done an admirable job building a great manufacturing company and bringing some people in China out of poverty. I see them doing this in Brazil also. I see the rest of the world benefiting also by getting great products at affordable prices.

Like I said it is a complicated subject. Foxconn isn't necessarily doing Chinese people any favors. When you meddle with the natural order of things you will always get unexpected results.

Pests destroy crops, hit them with insecticides, pollutes environment, cancer and birth defects. Cause and effect, but not necessarily foreseeable.

Young people in China move to the city, loose family traditions, forget how to speak their native language, rural areas economically collapse, pollution, food shortages, dependency on government services. War and political unrest. All possible outcomes.

Greed and opportunistic motivation has always manipulated the course civilization and it is usually out of control and often has more negative results than positive. The US is no exception. I don't think the current system has a rosy future. The world wide ponzi scheme that we call free enterprise is just about to collapse.
  • Reply 51 of 53
    Quote:

The people all over the third world that the US is throwing tax dollars and bombs at in equal proportions.

Well, I don't agree with the US government doing those things.

Quote:

The world wide ponzi scheme that we call free enterprise is just about to collapse.

The free enterprise system is not a Ponzi scheme.
  • Reply 52 of 53
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    1. I dont understand why people keep asking to bring manufacturing back to us. You do realize your minimum wage is like 4 - 5 times higher then China.

2. And even if government give apple so call Tax Break. or dont collect a cent from Foxcoon, the operation cost of running it in US is still much higher then china.

3. Brazil is also at least double the Chinese Labour cost, and transportation cost is actually much lower then you think. So the benefit of having manufacturing close to US doesn't make a difference.

4. Then there is the cost per product equation. Or the working efficiency. I doubt you will find workers anywhere else in the world that works faster then those Chinese workers. You have to see it to believe it. They are basically a living organic robots.

May be Brazil government give them Free Land, Low tax benefits and Low energy cost, a attractive package for Foxcoon to invest in there. Otherwise on paper there aren't any distinctive advantage for Brazil.
  • Reply 53 of 53
    _hawkeye__hawkeye_ Posts: 139member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple was even forced to make a public statement last year

Really? Who forced them?