Apple's white iPhone 4 coming in 'next few weeks'

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A new report claims that Apple will finally begin selling the white iPhone 4 by the end of April after having resolved manufacturing challenges that resulted in a 10-month delay.

Citing people familiar with Apple's plans, Bloomberg reported Wednesday that the white iPhone is nearly ready for launch on both AT&T and Verizon, corroborating an earlier report from AppleInsider that the device would launch in April.

Update: Reuters reported on Thursday that Apple's suppliers have begun production of the white iPhone 4, according to "two people familiar with the situation."

In March, analyst Ming-Chi Kuo told AppleInsider that a full-lamination problem had prompted necessary changes to the film material on the white iPhone 4, resulting in a now 10-month delay.

The report also tracks with a Twitter message posted by Apple VP Phil Schiller last month. "The white iPhone will be available this spring (and it is a beauty!)," Schiller said.

Earlier this year, AppleInsider learned that Apple had turned to a Japanese company to craft a new paint material in order to overcome the manufacturing problems of the white iPhone 4.

Apple repeatedly delayed the product in 2010, citing manufacturing issues. Last October, the company announced that the white iPhone 4 would not arrive until spring 2011.

The extended delay of the white iPhone 4 has prompted speculation that Apple will hold off on releasing a redesigned iPhone this summer. Numerous rumors have now suggested that Apple will instead release the so-called iPhone 5 this fall, with one report suggesting that Apple would not release a next-generation iPhone until after Apple's fiscal 2012 begins in late September.

The Feb. 10 release of the CDMA iPhone 4 on Verizon has also fueled rumors that Apple will choose not to refresh the iPhone this summer. Pundits questioned whether an iPhone update just 4 to 5 months after the Verizon iPhone launch would anger customers who signed 2-year contracts.

The Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker has historically released a new version of its bestselling smartphone every summer in June or July. Last week, analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities noted that Apple is "keeping its iPhone 5 cards extra close to the vest" in order to avoid a slump in iPhone 4 demand ahead of a refresh.

Insiders connected to Taiwan-based touch panel makers indicated Wednesday that Apple has yet to provide them with a production roadmap for the next iPhone. The sources were split, however, as to the interpretation of the situation. Some believe that Apple will release a slightly modified iPhone 4 this summer, while others speculated that a "major overhaul" would come at a later date.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    pokepoke Posts: 506member
    This would make me believe all the rumours about the iPhone 5 coming in September or later.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Damn! I should have waited!
  • Reply 3 of 16
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Yessssssssss!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    desarcdesarc Posts: 642member
    the "white iPhone is coming soon" rumor seems to have been around almost as long as, and refreshed as often as the original "apple is making a cellphone" rumor.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    This is the most exciting news ever!!!!!

I've been waiting for four years to buy an iPhone because it didn't come in white.

Black iPhones are teh suck!

Finally I can get an iPhone!!!!!

I am sooooooooo glad the press has been keeping such close tabs on this!!!!1!!11!

</snark>
  • Reply 6 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

This is the most exciting news ever!!!!!

I've been waiting for four years to buy an iPhone because it didn't come in white.

Black iPhones are teh suck!

Finally I can get an iPhone!!!!!

I am sooooooooo glad the press has been keeping such close tabs on this!!!!1!!11!

</snark>

Nice try at a joke, but the previous iPhone was sold in white

So, waiting 4 years..... no.
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Footloose301 View Post

Nice try at a joke, but the previous iPhone was sold in white

So, waiting 4 years..... no.

Yeah, nice sense of humor you got there.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    emoelleremoeller Posts: 574member
    YES, but what happened to the fact that Apple just pulled the white iPhone from its store last week???
  • Reply 9 of 16
    whozownwhozown Posts: 128member
    the heavens have parted and delivered on to us white iphone 4. but.... not till the end of April, make queue.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The Cupertino, Calif., iPhone maker has historically released a new version of its bestselling smartphone every summer in June or July. Last week, analyst Brian White with Ticonderoga Securities noted that Apple is "keeping its iPhone 5 cards extra close to the vest" in order to avoid a slump in iPhone 4 demand ahead of a refresh.

The trouble with the above is that Apple has generally kept their cards close (and woukdn't have last year if not for gizmodo's not so legal stunt) and yet folks still stop buying phones in April and may because they 'know' the new one is coming soon
  • Reply 11 of 16
    Intrigued to see this post today, since I can say with certainty that I saw a white iPhone 4 in the wild today, on a Brooklyn-bound 3 train just after 3 pm. And yes it was a white face iPhone 4, not a white backed iPhone 3. The guy who was using it was keeping it pretty close to his chest. I tried to be non-chalant about checking it out, but he noticed me noticing the iPhone, and immediately slipped it into his pocket.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

YES, but what happened to the fact that Apple just pulled the white iPhone from its store last week???

I think those were just lingering images. They did the major removal last October.
    They may have taken a whole new set of pics for this release, which I hear uses a different process and paint so the colour may be slightly different (not that we?d be able to tell the difference).
  • Reply 13 of 16
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by EMoeller View Post

What is this senseless comment supposed to be? Funny NOT, Sarcasm NO, Pointless YES!
  • Reply 14 of 16
    shaun, ukshaun, uk Posts: 1,050member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

Intrigued to see this post today, since I can say with certainty that I saw a white iPhone 4 in the wild today, on a Brooklyn-bound 3 train just after 3 pm. And yes it was a white face iPhone 4, not a white backed iPhone 3. The guy who was using it was keeping it pretty close to his chest. I tried to be non-chalant about checking it out, but he noticed me noticing the iPhone, and immediately slipped it into his pocket.

Did the mystery man look like this...... http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...=1&FORM=IDFRIR
  • Reply 15 of 16
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by richardk32 View Post

Its an after market hack. Available from any number of Chinese vendors for about n$20 a side. I know because I'm sporting a aluminum back for my iP4 with all the illegal apple logos and markings. i have a leather back and a white back/front for when i get bored.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    prospprosp Posts: 5member
    I hope that the white iPhone 4 comes out alongside the (white and black) iPhone 5! This may mean that the 3GS will be "retired"