Mac OS X 10.7 Lion: new multitouch gestures, Dock integration for Exposé, Launchpad, Mission Control

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    bertpbertp Posts: 274member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

If they are driving the Touch Interface they better damn well include the bluetooth glide pad for everyone who buys a Mac Mini, iMac or Mac Pro.

Otherwise, expecting people to fork over another $69 for the magic trackpad to work with your vision I share is absurd.

Being left-handed though I use a mouse in my right hand I foresee the left-hand using the magic trackpad for the complex touch actions and the magic mouse for the precision work. But to not include both in the purchase of a new Mac to leverage these new features would be a hidden $69 to the cost of the OS.

Yesterday, I used the Apple feedback tool to suggest a detached keyboard with integrated trackpad for their desktop line, and then using the Magic Mouse as the precision pointer.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bodypainter View Post

sorry, but the different mouse gestures get too confusing. i know people who can't even learn the four fingers swipe for expose. it is also a stupid idea to focus on such gestures as the typical mac/mac mini/imac user uses the mighty/magic or normal mouse, and it is a pain in the arse to make such gestures there!

I kinda agree here because even though I owned a 17" MBP for the last 4 years and a Powerbook before that, I have always relied on a Logitech laser mouse because it's much quicker and more precise for my photo/video editing work. Even doing word processing, presentations, and spreed sheets feel more accurate with a mouse. I think it's a matter of what sort of things you do on your Mac. A general user might prefer a trackpad, whereas a professional might prefer a mouse. People who are "old school" or those who transition from Windows to Mac might still prefer a mouse. I think it's just a matter of being open-minded and willing to adapt to new innovations. I just bought a new 11" MBA this year and am now finally getting use to using the multi-touch gestures, and I think it's great. My only concern is how the heck I'm going to fit all five of my fat fingers onto the tiny 11" MBA trackpad when Lion comes!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BertP View Post

A Magic Trackpad to supplement an old laptop trackpad? Hmmm?

On my wish list?is a detached keyboard with an integrated trackpad for an iMac. Then, the Magic Mouse would serve as the supplemental precision pointer!

good (great) idea but I don't think they are going to go for it, best alternative at the time being (I know it's not even half good, but anyway...) is that thingy someone released recently that joins the trackpad and keyboard, an aluminum fastening thingy.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Yesterday, I used the Apple feedback tool to suggest a detached keyboard with integrated trackpad for their desktop line, and then using the Magic Mouse as the precision pointer.

Thanks for that. If I was still there I would have seen that request and bugged the hell out of everyone in the design groups to read it.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    Quote:

A waste of energy. Very unlikely this would fit in Apple's long term strategy. The trend has been (again) to smaller, not bigger keyboards.

My concern is, how will they provide the touch interface with an equivalent to "hovering" over something? This is just so natural using a mouse UI (and yet, it is also often over-used for the display of annoying tooltips that pop up blocking whatever you are looking for from view)
  • Reply 46 of 52
    myapplelovemyapplelove Posts: 1,515member
    good point, I hadn't realized the hovering bit was missing from the touch interfaces...but I don't think they 've overdone the pop ups in os x, most of which are very helpful sometimes.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by colinstalter View Post

I don't mean to be a Scrooge but there was actually a recent statement from Apple saying that they have played with touchscreen iMac-type computers but the use of a large multi-touch pad perpendicular to the display is much more ergonomic. It would also require that Apple completely re-design the OS to be touch-friendly. That would mean 3 OS's. A fully mobile touch interface (iPad/iPhone), a touch interface that still contains the complexities of a full OS (purported touch-iMax) and the non-touch OS like on MacBook Pros. There would be WAY too much confusion for the common user. Also, such a device would cause confusion for consumers on which to buy, an iPad, TouchMac or Mac. Apple seems to love a well-defined line between their products so that you will buy ALL of them. A Mac for home, an iPad for the bus and and an iPhone for everything else.

Yeah, we've heard this from Jobs. But I don't believe it. I've used a Wacom tablet for twenty years. It works very well. Whether we're using touch or a tablet, it's pretty much the same.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Povilas View Post

I want to see more Magic Mouse love.

Then check out JiTouch. . . . Takes the Magic to a WHOLE new Level!
  • Reply 49 of 52
    midiacmidiac Posts: 23member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Durnaurion View Post

WTF?!? For someone who doesn't use the Magic Trackpad (like me) that's a HUGE step back!

Then get with the times and adopt the new interface, it is what Apple is trying to get everyone to do, and when you do, you won't look back. Took a while of getting used to, but now, I get sad when have to touch a mouse or trackball and don't have my gestures at my fingertips
  • Reply 50 of 52
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by midiac View Post

Then get with the times and adopt the new interface, it is what Apple is trying to get everyone to do, and when you do, you won't look back. Took a while of getting used to, but now, I get sad when have to touch a mouse or trackball and don't have my gestures at my fingertips

Yeah but for new users it means the learning curve is steeper. Sure, once you get used to it you operate at a high level and operate better than using a mouse. But that curve is steep for new users, which by definition are a good percentage of Mac purchasers.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

After 25 years, will Mac OS finally do something about only being able to access the menu bar on the main display?

Try MenuPop. It shows a vertical menu list on the secondary monitor at the cursor when hotkey is pressed.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Yeah, we've heard this from Jobs. But I don't believe it. I've used a Wacom tablet for twenty years. It works very well. Whether we're using touch or a tablet, it's pretty much the same.

Your Wacom was placed on the wall next to the screen?

What Jobs talked about was that an iMac with a touch screen didn't work. You have to stretch your arms constantly.