Lower-than-expected Xoom sales prompt Apple iPad competitors to delay tablets

12346»

Comments

• Reply 101 of 102
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shrike View Post

Well, the mobile space is expected to be the dominant Internet platform as time goes by. Yeah, it's more ad space. Dumb phones will eventually become smart phones (and smart phones will become super smart phones etc.)

With Android, it's a Google-gated space, not a Microsoft one. With MS dominant on PCs, there's always a threat that MS can leverage their Windows monopoly to push Google out in favor of Bing and MS advertising or some other party.

Irrelevant is hyperbolic, but perhaps it's more "not that important" to Google. For Google, it's all about getting people to use the Internet and getting people to see ads. I don't see how fragmentation hurts that. I don't see how Amazon hurts that. It's only when you start seeing people stop using Google search, stop using Google advertising services, and the like where Google will start to worry.

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft gave out Windows for free but made it ad-supported/ search-integrated with Bing.
  • Reply 102 of 102
    mkeathmkeath Posts: 60member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

I wonder what would happen if Microsoft gave out Windows for free but made it ad-supported/ search-integrated with Bing.

This is the same as asking "Hey guys, I wonder what would happen if that mom-and-pop grocery store down the street stiff-armed their suppliers like Wal-Mart." Google not only displays ads on their websites, they display ads on websites where people are using AdWords. I would say 1 of every 2 links clicked from a Bing result ends up giving money to Google. Microsoft gets money for just the search. Google gets money from the search and the result. The scale of what Google has done is astronomical.