GeForce4 GO......into the next Powerbook?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Well nVidia has launched their new GeForce 4 family, including the new mobile GPU. With nVidia and Apple's new-found partnership do you think Apple could be ready to release new Powerbooks sporting the GeForce4 GO? I bet this thing will be incredible in terms of graphics on a laptop. I'm curious as to the full specs and how much power it will consume. Will this be a better option than ATI's Radeon Mobility 7500 and do you think Apple will continue to go nVidia? I think a revision could be likely with Apollos running at 800 MHz or so with better graphics.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    I think possibly if they revamp the powerbook's motherboard but I doubt that. I think radeon 7500 for the next update at least and then possibly a switch to nVidia in the update following that.

the nVidia chip is brand new.. Apple would have had to have been testing and working on it for several months now to have it in there by March IMO.

not sure which one is better but if I had to choose right now I would pick the radeon 7500 as ATI has proven they just produce kickass mobile chips
  • Reply 2 of 25
    Yeah, well, I already knew which one you would pick

I don't think the testing is an issue, if it was going to be in the next Powerbook they would have been testing it yes. nVidia has let Apple do quite a lot of things since they became standard graphics on Apple's products. Start off with launching the GeForce 3 first, then Apple is right now the only OEM with GeForce4 graphics I believe and they did it before nVidia's announcement. Now they have the Ti available BTO next month. How bout another first from Apple with nVidia's new GeForce4 GO, the fastest mobile GPU in the world? I don't doubt this would be a kick ass GPU, but so is the new Radeon Mobility.
  • Reply 3 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by TigerWoods99:

<strong>Yeah, well, I already knew which one you would pick

I don't think the testing is an issue, if it was going to be in the next Powerbook they would have been testing it yes. nVidia has let Apple do quite a lot of things since they became standard graphics on Apple's products. Start off with launching the GeForce 3 first, then Apple is right now the only OEM with GeForce4 graphics I believe and they did it before nVidia's announcement. Now they have the Ti available BTO next month. How bout another first from Apple with nVidia's new GeForce4 GO, the fastest mobile GPU in the world? I don't doubt this would be a kick ass GPU, but so is the new Radeon Mobility.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it seems mobile GPUs are announced months before they actually ship though so...

anyone know when it'll be shipping?
  • Reply 4 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>I think possibly if they revamp the powerbook's motherboard but I doubt that. I think radeon 7500 for the next update at least and then possibly a switch to nVidia in the update following that.

the nVidia chip is brand new.. Apple would have had to have been testing and working on it for several months now to have it in there by March IMO.

not sure which one is better but if I had to choose right now I would pick the radeon 7500 as ATI has proven they just produce kickass mobile chips</strong><hr></blockquote>

I remember reading that the Mobility Radeon 7500 was pin compatible with the Mobility Radeon that is currently in powerbooks, so all it would take is a graphic card swap (theoretically). The Geforce, however, would require a mobo redesign, I would think (as applenut mentioned). Who knows though?
  • Reply 5 of 25
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    [quote]Availability

OEM systems featuring GeForce4 MX are already shipping, with retail board availability in the next two weeks.Â* OEM systems featuring GeForce4 Ti will be available in 60 days, with retail boards available in 30 days.Â* GeForce4-based notebook computers will be available in February.

<hr></blockquote><a href="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20020205_6195"; target="_blank">Nvidia Press Release</a>

That must mean reference boards and chips have been out for a while.

Screed
  • Reply 6 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by sCreeD:

<strong><a href="http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=IO_20020205_6195"; target="_blank">Nvidia Press Release</a>

That must mean reference boards and chips have been out for a while.

Screed</strong><hr></blockquote>

if that's the case and the geforce 4 is a cooler chip and uses about the same as the radeon 7500 then apple should go for it. but if it isn't a cooler chip and uses more power I don't want it and most people shouldn't want it.
  • Reply 7 of 25

<strong>

if that's the case and the geforce 4 is a cooler chip and uses about the same as the radeon 7500 then apple should go for it. but if it isn't a cooler chip and uses more power I don't want it and most people shouldn't want it.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I concur
  • Reply 8 of 25

<strong>I think possibly if they revamp the powerbook's motherboard but I doubt that. I think radeon 7500 for the next update at least and then possibly a switch to nVidia in the update following that.

not sure which one is better but if I had to choose right now I would pick the radeon 7500 as ATI has proven they just produce kickass mobile chips</strong><hr></blockquote>

They already have Powermacs shipping with GeForce4 MX's. (yeah i know theyre hooked up GF3's). But they are still a new chip. Apple had time to work with them and they'll have even longer with the GF4GO's. I can def. see them in the new powerbooks.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by PPC8500:

<strong>

They already have Powermacs shipping with GeForce4 MX's. (yeah i know theyre hooked up GF3's). But they are still a new chip. Apple had time to work with them and they'll have even longer with the GF4GO's. I can def. see them in the new powerbooks.</strong><hr></blockquote>

it's a hell of a lot easier to stick a card into a powermac then redesigning a motherboard with an integrated graphic chipset that needs to have everything from heat to power usage in consideration
  • Reply 10 of 25
    Damn you beat me to it. Here's another link showing the GF4 GO available this month! I smell new PBG4s. Sh*t, 800 MHz w/32 MB GF4 420 Go would be sweet and I would want one.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    We knew the GeForce4 Go was coming. I mentioned the upcoming NV17M several times in past threads to silent ears. This chip has been known to be coming for months. I would not be suprised if Apple implemented it in the next major PowerBook update.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    The GeForce4 MX is basically nothing more than a GeForce4 Go with a higher clock frequency and faster DDR-RAM.

Whether we'll see an nVidia or ATi chip in the PowerBook update is anybody's guess.

Remember the ATi Radeon 7500 is standard on the low-end Power Mac G4 now when there were no ATi options for the pro desktop ine 6 months ago.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    I'm interested as to when new powerbooks could come out. i don't really see any clear cut times. maybe MWTY, or maybe a silent release like they did with the new powermacs.....

any ideas?
  • Reply 15 of 25
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>I'm interested as to when new powerbooks could come out. i don't really see any clear cut times. maybe MWTY, or maybe a silent release like they did with the new powermacs.....

any ideas?</strong><hr></blockquote>

I say WWDC in May. Apple has introduced new PowerBooks there in the past.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    According to xlr8yourmac's testing of the desktop GeForce 4 cards maybe we don't want the portable version in the PowerBook. It does not fare very well for DVD playback which is more popular on portables.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    It doesn't relax the CPU as much as the Radeon does for DVD playback, but when are you going to be doing something while watching a DVD anyway? If you are truly in need of that CPU time, you wouldn't be watching the DVD in the first place...

I haven't noticed any other huge differences.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    *Crosses fingers* I plan to buy a Powerbook within a year, which of course is a long time, but, this still means something to me, as by that time they should be pretty far along.. (Maybe a TI mobile?)
  • Reply 19 of 25
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Eugene:

<strong>It doesn't relax the CPU as much as the Radeon does for DVD playback, but when are you going to be doing something while watching a DVD anyway? If you are truly in need of that CPU time, you wouldn't be watching the DVD in the first place...

I haven't noticed any other huge differences.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That may be true, but I think okatu was referring to batt life. I'd rather ahve the lower powered GPU do the heavy lifting so save batt life, hence the ATI chip... rememebr this is a PORTABLE. ALL components must have very favorable performance/heat/power ratio to keep batt life up...
  • Reply 20 of 25
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Well, i'll bet for the radeon 7500 mobility chip. It sounds more logical , no change of mobo, no change of the drivers needed.

This choice sounds logical.

I'll see the old radeon mobility for the i book.

In this way , the i book will be improved, but the powerbook will be still superior.