Mass production of Apple's A5-, Qualcomm-powered iPhone 5 rumored for Sept.

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    freddychfreddych Posts: 266member
    thinner and lighter are at the top of my wishlist for the iphone 5. it would be nice to have a design update as well, it's nice to keep things fresh, and i don't particularly like the look of the 4.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kotatsu View Post

A bigger screen would be top of my wish list for iPhone 5. When I see people with Android phones with giant screens, my iPhone 4 looks a little old school...

Your high school counselor should have warned you not to compare the size of your hardware to the other boys' hardware in the locker room...you will always come up "short"
  • Reply 43 of 62
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

LTE is not important outside the US

Germany is doing a full roll-out to be completed by the end of the year... so what country do you live in that is not going to upgrade their networks?
  • Reply 44 of 62
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It's not surprising that this might be a more incremental release with the same general look, that's happened before with 3G/3Gs. This report doesn't really tell us anything that wasn't already claimed in the past week or two.

A June announcement with a September release is three to nearly four months, I don't know how you arrived at six as your upper bound. That's not completely unprecedented, the first iPad was two to three months, depending on the model, the first iPhone was announced about six months before release. What makes this different is there is already a product in the market, three months is stretching it with their previous product still on the market, at least with Apple hardware. Still announcing it in June might help them if they need to explain why they're breaking the 12 month cycle or at least to reassure buyers and stock holders that there's nothing wrong.

That is all assuming there is any truth to this, it may all be 100% hot air and they'll release iPhone 5, 4s or whatever late June or early July like usual.

And what's your hunch at a possible staggered release? Possibly iP5 with the new processor, antennae design, and dual chip... with an LTE iP5 and "big screen" in September.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    rhyderhyde Posts: 294member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quicksilverhuh View Post

I certainly hope the Iphone 5 has LTE support. If they just have GSM/CDMA that is not going to cut it

I remember people saying the same thing about the original iPhone (well, except it needed to have 3G support). It came out with edge and people had to wait a year for 3G. I suspect that it's way too early for Apple to jump into LTE if history is any indication. Remember, they didn't come out with 3G because battery life sucked. I actually skipped the iP3G and waited for a 3GS. It was sad how much better my *old* iP battery was then my *new* iP3GS battery. Don't expect LTE this year. Apple probably wouldn't give up the battery life needed to achieve that in the few markets where using LTE is even possible.
  • Reply 46 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Here in the US there are maybe a dozen places with firm LTE carrier support at the moment, perhaps 3 times that by Sept. But otherwise it is a no go for like 90% of the country. Apple won't include a tech with that lack of support.

Looking around, supposedly Verizon will have LTE in 147 markets by the end of 2011: http://www.phonearena.com/news/Veriz...f-2011_id17620

Granted, just availability isn't enough, there are other important factors. If efficient chips aren't ready then it's not going in.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Um, hello????? Think McFly, think.

Can anyone ever imagine a scenario where Apple announces the iPhone 5 at wwdc as expected, and then says it will be available in 4 - 6 months? It's so completely impossible that I have to believe that this source is among the most unreliable garbage I've ever heard.

Agree, AI? I mean, wtf?

No. I can absolutely never imagine a scenario where Apple annouces an iPhone and then says it will be available in 6 months.

Ummmm, hang on...
  • Reply 48 of 62
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

No. I can absolutely never imagine a scenario where Apple annouces an iPhone and then says it will be available in 6 months.

Ummmm, hang on...

stupid reply. for the very first iphone they did not have to worry about reduced demand for the existing line.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ThePixelDoc View Post

Germany is doing a full roll-out to be completed by the end of the year... so what country do you live in that is not going to upgrade their networks?

the uk, which is not going LTE.
  • Reply 50 of 62
    ameldrum1ameldrum1 Posts: 255member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

stupid reply. for the very first iphone they did not have to worry about reduced demand for the existing line.

someone get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? :-)
  • Reply 51 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ameldrum1 View Post

someone get out of the wrong side of the bed this morning? :-)

no, am always a grump.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    graxspoograxspoo Posts: 162member
    Whoever came up with the iPhone 4 design was hopefully fired... Oh that's right, he was. iPhone 4 is the "Mark Papermaster phone". Papermaster left Apple due to "cultural incompatibility" last year. With Consumer Reports still not recommending iPhone over the antenna issue, you would think that Apple would want to roll out a new hardware design ASAP. I would also think that Steve would want to cleanse the iPhone of the Papermaster taint.

My old iPhone still works fine. I'm waiting for a phone that doesn't have an exposed antenna. A non-glass back would be good too. Leica cameras are nice an all, but I don't want to have something that fragile in my pocket. My guess/hope is that these leaks are all clever misdirection on Apple's part to lull the competition into complacency.
  • Reply 53 of 62
    realisticrealistic Posts: 1,154member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TimUSCA View Post

I have a really hard time believing any of this... and I have to wonder if all analysts are just following each other's BS.

Would they really cover iOS5 and then not mention the iPhone 5 at all? It just seems weird. If it wasn't brought up during the announcement, surely it would be brought up in the Q&A. Apple knows that not releasing the iPhone 5 at it's usual time will cause a stir - and I just don't see them skipping over it like a September release would be normal.

And then releasing an iPhone 6 only 6 months later?

This whole thing reeks of BS.

If you seriously believe Apple would answer any question(s) about unannounced product(s) during any Q&A session, then you are delusional at best.
  • Reply 54 of 62
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by graxspoo View Post

Whoever came up with the iPhone 4 design was hopefully fired... Oh that's right, he was. iPhone 4 is the "Mark Papermaster phone". Papermaster left Apple due to "cultural incompatibility" last year. With Consumer Reports still not recommending iPhone over the antenna issue, you would think that Apple would want to roll out a new hardware design ASAP. I would also think that Steve would want to cleanse the iPhone of the Papermaster taint.

My old iPhone still works fine. I'm waiting for a phone that doesn't have an exposed antenna. A non-glass back would be good too. Leica cameras are nice an all, but I don't want to have something that fragile in my pocket. My guess/hope is that these leaks are all clever misdirection on Apple's part to lull the competition into complacency.

A nice case on my iPhone 4 and it is the best phone I have ever had. Even naked the issue is mainly when you're in a very, very low signal area, the hand holding the iPhone 4 drops the signal by about 1 bar only. I waited and investigated and was even criticised heavily on these forums regarding "antennagate". But in the end the ambitious design is acceptable to me, and I guess I've been lucky to have dropped the phone when in a case and it's survived.

Been enjoying it for a good half a year now. I hope to not get the iPhone 5 so I can see out my two-year contract with the iPhone 4.

Anyway it's all about iPad now. Enjoy the iPad 2 as much as possible while you can before the iPad 3 comes out, that should be epic and HOPEFULLY HAVE BETTER CAMERAS (for whatever reason besides webcamming LOL).
  • Reply 55 of 62
    This design makes the most sense so far:

Darn it why do I feel like I already want one now. Grrrr Apple
  • Reply 56 of 62
    I'm one of those people who were satisfied with my 3GS when Iphone 4 came out and now I am sorry I didn't buy it. Now I am stuck trying to figure out to either take hit and get the iphone 4 or to wait for the iphone 5. Only problem is the 5 doesn't sounds like it will be worth the wait....
  • Reply 57 of 62
    bushman4bushman4 Posts: 858member
    As I read these rumors I 'm really impressed how these Analists (not mispelled) seem to know more than anyone else about IPHONE5. And what amazes me more is that once one starts a story the next one picks up on it using the 1st Analist as there source of info and so the story keeps spreading. Theres no substantiation to any of these stories. Most likely Apple has clamped down on their suppliers and nobody is talking.

If we don't see a new Iphone 5 at the WWDC then i'm sure it will at least be mentioned at which point everyone will get the story right.

In any case be assured that Apple is not going to shoot itself in the leg by delaying a product without being able to make up the revenue.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by scal11083 View Post

I'm one of those people who were satisfied with my 3GS when Iphone 4 came out and now I am sorry I didn't buy it. Now I am stuck trying to figure out to either take hit and get the iphone 4 or to wait for the iphone 5. Only problem is the 5 doesn't sounds like it will be worth the wait....

Just get the iPhone 4 contract-free then you can always sell it off if the iPhone 5 is killer. iPhone 4 is a big jump from the 3GS, trust me.
  • Reply 59 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BUSHMAN4 View Post

As I read these rumors I 'm really impressed how these Analists (not mispelled) seem to know more than anyone else about IPHONE5. And what amazes me more is that once one starts a story the next one picks up on it using the 1st Analist as there source of info and so the story keeps spreading. Theres no substantiation to any of these stories. Most likely Apple has clamped down on their suppliers and nobody is talking.

If we don't see a new Iphone 5 at the WWDC then i'm sure it will at least be mentioned at which point everyone will get the story right.

In any case be assured that Apple is not going to shoot itself in the leg by delaying a product without being able to make up the revenue.

What we are not hearing is the level of supply of iPhone 4. iPhone 4 AFAIK is still constrained in many markets around the world and Apple is still struggling to meet global demand. I expect more iPhones sold in calendar Q1 2011 than calendar Q4 2010. They still need to ramp up production, particularly meeting Verizon demand and white iPhone 4.

Thus, if there is still demand for the Verizon iPhone (which I think is just starting to meet supply-demand balance), demand for iPhone 4 globally (which I definitely know there is) and demand for the white iPhone 4 (which there surely is)... We could see all this carry Apple through to only releasing the iPhone 5 in September.

We'll have to see tomorrow in their earnings report how many iPhone 4s they sold this past quarter.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    I do think it would be a strange move to release a new iphone so hot on the heels of the verizon iphone but honestly, I kind of thought it was strange to release an ipad 2 a year after the first one and it was clearly a massive success ...