Supply issues persist for Apple weeks after disaster in Japan

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    imoanimoan Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

Really!? Get over yourself.

Yes, what happened in Japan was horrible, but do you expect the rest of the world to come to a stand still until Japan can get back on its feet.

Umm, yeah, I do. The world waited for us to dig ourselves out of ground zero before we re-joined the world economy.

We can wait a little longer to get a bloody iPad. In the meantime, surf, tweet and text on a Mac. They might not be magical, but they are capable. And I know we all have one lying around someplace.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Well, okay. But in theory this is supposed to be a discussion, which means that you do read what others post. I know, I'm a dreamer.

So you'd read all 200+ preceding comments before diving in? You the man! Me, I still have not read your comment that I ostensibly repeated. So I only have your word that I'm echoing you. Perhaps you're just pulling my leg. Hmmm ...
  • Reply 23 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iMoan View Post

Wow. This is exactly what I said the other day when the forum was attacking Best Buy as bait and switch swindlers and I got not one response from anyone. Guess no one wanted to slow down the Best-Buy-Bash fest.

Even better. Now lets take the tragedy in Japan and turn it into a praise fest for Apple. Yes, Tim Cook will work his magic and persuade devastated quake victims to "get back to work" on the iPad.

Harpic! Is it your intent to be deliberately trollish or are you reading more into the commentary than is actually there?

There you now have your response so much desired and a gilded spot on my ignore list!
  • Reply 24 of 28
    dr millmossdr millmoss Posts: 5,403member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So you'd read all 200+ preceding comments before diving in? You the man! Me, I still have not read your comment that I ostensibly repeated. So I only have your word that I'm echoing you. Perhaps you're just pulling my leg. Hmmm ...

Interesting math, given that this thread is only 24 comments long. I try to stay away from the really long threads for that very reason.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SailorPaul View Post

One Japanese manufacturer was publicly discussing the need to open a second factory in the USA in order to insure reliable production worldwide. From memory it was the polymer film mfg for lithium batteries in the last two-three weeks.

Might be nice to see this as a discussion point with all key suppliers. It's becoming rather clear that a lot of the money for iPhone and IPad construction is going to component suppliers in Japan (maybe Taiwan and other places as a guess) and NOT to the much-discussed assembly role filled by Foxcon in China.

Anyone know the estimated breakout of where the money goes?

It's just our trade rules that slap the "made in China" label on the product. Even if that assembly is just say 10% or whatever it really happens to be.

Let me explain - no that would take too long, let me sum up:

The parts are spec'd, ordered and supplied from any number of parts suppliers like Samsung, Civilux, Toshiba, Elpida Memory, AKM Semiconductor, Broadcomm, and Ashai Glass Co. for example. Each of these has to meet part spec requirements and demonstrate capacity. Some of these companies have assembly plants in Japan, some do not. Assembly of the parts into devices is done at Foxconn in China. As Apple has stated before in past earnings reports, they leverage their ability to purchase forward in high volume in order to keep component prices low for themselves and their needs. Apple however doesn't provide a point-by-point breakdown of the component and assembly costs to produce their devices.
  • Reply 26 of 28
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,339member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

...touchscreen overlay glass believed to be from Ashai Glass Co.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

...parts suppliers like...Ashai Glass Co.

Who in the world is "Ashai Glass"? Can anyone provide a website for a Japanese glass-maker under that name? I think not. The proper spelling of the Japanese glass maker is in fact Asahi Glass, whose English website is found here:

http://www.agc.com/english/index.html
  • Reply 27 of 28
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr Millmoss View Post

Interesting math, given that this thread is only 24 comments long. I try to stay away from the really long threads for that very reason.

Using proper arithmetic would diminish the motive of being glib. But in all seriousness, you're being a good sport by not flaming me left, right and center. Kudos (seriously).
  • Reply 28 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by fecklesstechguy View Post

Let me explain - no that would take too long, let me sum up:

The parts are spec'd, ordered and supplied from any number of parts suppliers like Samsung, Civilux, Toshiba, Elpida Memory, AKM Semiconductor, Broadcomm, and Ashai Glass Co. for example. Each of these has to meet part spec requirements and demonstrate capacity. Some of these companies have assembly plants in Japan, some do not. Assembly of the parts into devices is done at Foxconn in China. As Apple has stated before in past earnings reports, they leverage their ability to purchase forward in high volume in order to keep component prices low for themselves and their needs. Apple however doesn't provide a point-by-point breakdown of the component and assembly costs to produce their devices.

I understood that up front, and should have at least touched on those facts. My point is only that assembly is not the majority of the value in the product AND that after the Japan twin disasters it's also clear that concentration of manufacturing in a single economy may not be in everyone's best interests.